(Chester County)

Default CSU board votes in favor of campus gun ban

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13927157

CSU board votes in favor of campus gun ban

By Monte Whaley

The Denver Post

Posted: 12/04/2009 12:48:23 PM MST
    Updated: 12/04/2009 01:12:02 PM MST

Colorado State University may be closer to banning concealed weapons on campus after the school's board of governors this morning voted unanimously for a weapons policy.

However, the nine-person body is leaving the nuts-and-bolts of a weapons control policy up to the school's three campus presidents.

"We respect there are many differing opinions on this issue," said board chairman Patrick McConathy, "but members of the CSU System Board believe this a reasonable, rational and responsible decision for our system."

CSU is one of the few universities in the country that allows concealed weapons on campus. This year, however, both CSU-Fort Collins' public safety team and the president's cabinet voted for a concealed weapons ban.

But earlier this week, the student senate voted overwhelmingly against a concealed weapons ban.

A final policy probably won't be presented to the board until February. But the resolution passed today points out the potential danger of allowing students or faculty to carry concealed weapons on campus.

It cites a statement from the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators that says: "There is no credible statistical evidence demonstrating that laws allowing the carrying of concealed firearms reduce crime."

Debate on the issue highlighted schisms between faculty and students at CSU-Fort Collins as well as CSU-Pueblo.

"A concealed weapon empowers the powerless," said CSU-Fort Collins student body president Dan Gearheart. He added there will be likely "political repercussions" should CSU go ahead with a ban.

But CSU-Pueblo student body president Steven Titus saw differently, saying concealed weapons would disrupt learning. "If I see a girl sitting next to me with a gun in her purse, I'd be wondering if she had ulterior motives," Titus said. "I'd get up and leave and maybe call security on her."

Monte Whaley: 720-929-0907 or mwhaley@denverpost.com.

(Berks County)

Default Re: CSU board votes in favor of campus gun ban

Once they implement this atrocity of a policy, it won't be long before we get another loser committing a Virginia Tech-style massacre. Nothing like a gun-free zone to empower criminals.

Steven Titus, what a little pussy he is. That girl is trying to protect herself from the next Dylan Klebold. Ironically, she'd probably save his pathetic ass in the process.
    These are the exalted gharāniq, whose intercession is hoped for. LMAO

(Franklin County)

But CSU-Pueblo student body president Steven Titus saw differently, saying concealed weapons would disrupt learning. "If I see a girl sitting next to me with a gun in her purse, I'd be wondering if she had ulterior motives," Titus said. "I'd get up and leave and maybe call security on her."
    What a pussy. I'd be thinking, "Man, I should get her number."
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I'd be thinking, "Man, I should get her number."
    "Hey, baby...your range or mine?"
    Nine out of ten moderators approve of this post!

(Bucks County)

Hmmm, can't handle the idea of a chick who can take of herself? Sounds like some serious feelings of inadequacy there.

Oh, and for the record, if I see a (hot) girl with a gun in her purse, I'll say
    "I'll show you mine if you show me yours."

(Erie County)

If my kids were looking for a college today I'd likely recommend they get an online degree as long as colleges continue to deny students the right to defend themselves.

It is likely going to take such a college to lose a civil suit brought by the parents of victims for the board of losers to remove their heads from each others rectums.
    "When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can become deadly projectiles." - Unknown.

(Centre County)

Hmm lets see, I wonder if there could be a comparison between announcing that a school is a gun free zone and telling the Taliban our new war and exit strategy?

Seems obvious both are disastrous and both will get people killed - just a matter of scale.

This sucks!

(Centre County)

So can you still OC?

(Montgomery County)

Sigh. This is a sentiment echoed over the vast majority of Academia. "Guns are bad, people with guns are bad, except for the cops."

Groupthink bullshit. How long can a homicidal gunman last on a campus full of hotties like this:

Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Philadelphia County)

Yeah, my friend who has been fighting this was quoted in another article was kinda disappointed that they quoted him as saying ''You might as well ban everything that has a potential risk -- cars, alcohol and sports,'' rather than when he told the reporter that he didn't see the point of even showing up if they're just going to ignore the student body and state law and just ban guns anyway.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast