Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paypal how-to

(Centre County)

Red face Paypal how-to

I wish there was a PayPal How-to. It doesn't look as hard as hitting the x-ring, but I've never used it before.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Paypal how-to

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    I wish there was a PayPal How-to. It doesn't look as hard as hitting the x-ring, but I've never used it before.
    http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/ebay101/ss/paypal101.htm

Click the above link for your answer, welcome to the PAFOA

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post

paypal how to:

DONT.

i you feel you have to give a company money for taking all of your personal info, give it to a co. that is NOT trying to do away with our 2nd ammednment rights.

bidpay comes to mind, there are others, do a search.

gunbroker instead of ebay.

(Lebanon County)

PayPal is owned by eBay. I think it is their testing ground for anti-gun policies.
    Read their terms before you agree to share your money with them. (Their fees can be excessive).
    This section may be of particular interest to you:
    (Firearms Weapons and Knives).
    http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr...ide&ed=weapons
    If you've used PayPal to buy or sell brass or bullets, or any other components, pay special attention to this paragraph:
    AMMUNITION
    You may not use PayPal to buy or sell high-capacity magazines (those which hold more than 10 rounds), ammunition with propellant (e.g., gunpowder), or blank ammunition. The term "ammunition" means ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm.
    (Bold added by me for emphasis).

(Westmoreland County)

They ain't gonna know if you ain't gonna tell 'em! I bought lots of 30 rounders through paypal...the seller's just list them as metal or plastic parts. No problem...

(Centre County)

PayPal's user interface is quite intuitive. I just have three bits of advice:

1. When buying gun related items, especially guns, don't use anything in the subject line or message indicating such. PayPal will suspend yours and the seller's account for TOS violation. Instead, use the gun's serial number or item number. For instance, a subject line may read: "Payment for item # 67324B."

2. When receiving funds, never let them ride in your account. If PayPal suspends your account FOR ANY REASON, it can become very hard to gain access to your funds. I use a PayPal Debit card and get 1.5% cash back. When I receive funds, I imediately use the card to pay for postage, gas, groceries, etc. I never let any amount over $200 sit. If I take in a huge amount of funds ($400 or more) I will pay the $1.50 fee to get the cash from an ATM pronto.

3. If buying from a dodgey vendor, or paying for a very expensive item, PAY WITH YOUR CREDIT CARD through PayPal instead of rolling any stored PayPal funds over to the seller. That way if PayPal screws you and doesn't refund your money if you get burnt by the seller, your credit card company will. BTW, this pisses off PayPal when you do this, and they *may* suspend your account.
    PayPal encourages you to spend your PayPal balance because they have to pay the credit card company a percentage if you use a card, thus nearly cancelling any profit made from seller fees.

(Westmoreland County)

Good advice...

To go one further, I wonder if paypal would catch wind of ToS violations if you used your paypal debit card to buy stuff at Cabela's or the local Army Navy? I don't think they regulate where you can buy with the debit card, do they?

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    I don't think they regulate where you can buy with the debit card, do they?
    I think they would be in violation of MasterCard's ToS if they did.

(Berks County)

OK guys, I may be asking a silly question here but if we know that ebay and paypal are anti why would we want to support them anyway? They obviously don't want out business.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    OK guys, I may be asking a silly question here but if we know that ebay and paypal are anti why would we want to support them anyway? They obviously don't want out business.
    For me, paypal is convenient and somewhat trustworthy. I hate their policy, but what other alternatives are there that let me take payments online, and get them out of an ATM within minutes? It is also painless to buy something with paypal/ebay and have it in just a few days.
    Kinda like Dish Network, I hate their customer service, but their product is awesome and I am unwilling to change.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast