Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Careless shooting on PA State Game Lands

Careless shooting on PA State Game Lands.

We had a local shooting incident last week near state game lands 139 North of Perkasie - Sellersville. Someone was randomly shooting on SGL’s and a neighboring house was hit. The perpetrator wasn’t found at that time, but neighbors have heard shots on different days, before and after the day a house was hit.

Today, I heard multiple strings of shots. Drove out to SGL parking lot to find a car parked. Called game wardens trying to inform investigation officers of shooting going on this afternoon. While on the phone with game commission, several more shot strings were heard. Game commission officer heard shots over the phone. I assume call was recorded too, so shots are on the call recording.

The shooter emerged from the woods as I was finishing my call with GC officer. I proceeded to call police to inform them of active shooting activity, trying to contact investigating officer and detective as per their request to inform when any more suspicious shots heard from the area.

I asked the shooter what he was doing, what he was shooting at and the caliber used. He stated he was a new gun owner-shooter and was just plinking with his 9mm shooting at some trees on SGL’s. He didn’t understand why I was upset of his actions even after I told him we were concerned of shooting in the area and one of our houses being hit with bullets.

Both Game wardens and police had his license plate number I provided. I told him I wanted him to stay to speak with police that were on their way. He asked if I was detaining him to which I told him, I was not and could not detain him but GC officers and police both had his plate number and would be speaking with him sometime, either in the parking lot or later at some other place.

What is wrong with people? Shooting at trees! No backstop! Not shooting legally on state property! He didn’t even realize houses were only 120-200 feet off the trail he was shooting from. Leaves from brush and trees obscured the houses but a few leaves provide very limited stopping power for a 9mm slug.
    If you are bow hunting with camo on, be careful, there are idiots in the woods with you.

Default Re: Careless shooting on PA State Game Lands

Probably true. New gun oner, no training.
    Probably thought it was safe since he was in the woods
    While we know to "know your target and what's beyond it" many don't.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by tallbump View Post
    Probably true. New gun oner, no training.
    Probably thought it was safe since he was in the woods
    While we know to "know your target and what's beyond it" many don't.
    I don't really like the idea but it's almost a case for 'some training necessary' before getting one's hands on a gun.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Montgomery County)

Man this is a tough one. I despise any restrictions but how do you make people have common sense. Years ago you had elders teaching you not letting you near a gun till you understood now in our world theres no common sense no respect for anything. These people are in the minority but it just takes one and the rest of us get painted with the brush when things go really wrong. Just shooting trees besides the safety issue did the friggin tree do something to him?

(Washington County)

I'm not saying what you did was wrong. I understand why you took that course of action.

But I would have handled it differently. I would have tried for a friendly educational chat with this person. I would have called the authorities if the guy reacted negatively to the friendly educational chat.

I would tell him there was recently a house shot in that area because of similar activity, tell him about the rules for shooting on SGL, tell him where he could go shoot legally, tell him about PAFOA, etc.

If he got an oh crap look on his face, displayed understanding, then no issue. There is a good chance had no idea he was doing something wrong. If he got defensive, or aggressive, then call the authorities and let them handle it.

And ya, I wouldn't go to talk to this person without my firearm and ballistic vest.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    I'm not saying what you did was wrong. I understand why you took that course of action.

But I would have handled it differently. I would have tried for a friendly educational chat with this person. I would have called the authorities if the guy reacted negatively to the friendly educational chat.

I would tell him there was recently a house shot in that area because of similar activity, tell him about the rules for shooting on SGL, tell him where he could go shoot legally, tell him about PAFOA, etc.

If he got an oh crap look on his face, displayed understanding, then no issue. There is a good chance had no idea he was doing something wrong. If he got defensive, or aggressive, then call the authorities and let them handle it.

And ya, I wouldn't go to talk to this person without my firearm and ballistic vest.
    That is a great approach to the situation but I'm not the clearest thinker in situations like that and not having thought about it ahead of time, probably would not have taken that route myself. It was a missed opportunity for some education though.

(Washington County)

I certainly have the benefit of pondering this for several hours and being detached from any emotions, because I don't live there and have to actually deal with this, but my response I posted is the initial thought I had when I read this post last night.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Montgomery County)

Well I guess i'm in the minority. He's responsible for his actions and for not getting any instructions concerning guns. He was doing a dumb ass stunt, risking peoples property and even lives. I have no time for this behavior and when I was younger would have told him so. I've experienced stupid ass behavior many times with divers on the dive boat and always thought the in your face approrach was the right one. Now as an old man call the cops

(Washington County)

I don't support mandatory training, as it is a barrier to entry for gun ownership. It requires time and money, which most people are short on. Especially the people who actually live in low income areas and need a firearm to defend themselves. So it's our job to educate out in the wild. That's my view.

I also think back to when I was young, and not being born an NRA range safety officer, I did some dumb things when recreationally shooting. Luckily nothing TOO bad ever happened. I actually come from a family that owned some firearms but had zero interest in hunting or recreational shooting. My dad didn't teach me much about firearms, safety, shooting, etc. I basically had to figure it all out on my own. I didn't even know firearm training was a thing. Why would I need training? It's just a thing you point and shoot. Nothing to it! I had been shooting for years before I realized there could be value in a training class and started taking them. Now I have over 150 hours of professional firearms training, two instructor certifications, and I have given many classes on basic skills. I try to take one class a year. But I don't think that should be mandatory. If you see a new shooter who isn't doing it right, we should engage them in educational and encouraging discussion. That is how we promote the 2A and make better gun owners.

Edit to add: My approach to this situation is not the way I would approach all situations. If someone was doing something where life or property was in clear, imminent danger (which I think this situation falls just short of, maybe I am wrong), then I would call the authorities and let the person suffer the consequences. But to me, shooting trees in the woods on state land, honestly, that sounds like something a lot of people with no experience would think is ok, though it is not.
    Last edited by JoshIronshaft; October 10th, 2023 at 10:16 AM.

(Berks County)

When I was a yute, I'm thinking 12 years old, my father wanted me to get a hunting license. Of course, I didn't put up a fight on it. In order for me to get a hunting license at that age, I had to take a safe hunting course. Over 50 years later, I can go put my hands on that certificate tout de suite and AFAIK, it is still sufficient to get a FL carry permit. My father's friend gave his sons and me the course and I don't recall it being too difficult. While it didn't teach me trigger discipline, it did teach me some basic things like the gun is always loaded, always point it in a safe direction, etc. On one hand, I'm not an advocate for mandatory training but OTOH, I won't let my wife touch my stuff because she doesn't know one one of the gun from another and until she takes a course, all she has is that baseball bat that sits in the corner. You can't help people who won't help themselves.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast