Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lee Precision 90930

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/40529-1.html

i am assuming that if i get THAT setup i can change out the dies to other calibers...

obviously i want to reload .308 win, but i also want to reload .32 ACP and others in between...

thanks.
    Grant
    This Space For Rent

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Lee Precision 90930

Quote Originally Posted by Seventy4Blazer View Post
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/40529-1.html

i am assuming that if i get THAT setup i can change out the dies to other calibers...

obviously i want to reload .308 win, but i also want to reload .32 ACP and others in between...

thanks.
    Grant
    Yes, you can change the dies. You will also have to change the shell plate too. Make sure there is one for the 32acp before ordering.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

thank you. i think i am looking into another brand now for a single stage press. i think that way it would be best for me to start out this way...

thanks for the input. it would make sense to make sure you are able to get everything needed... i would not have thought of that one. its the little things in life that get you... lol
    This Space For Rent

(Philadelphia County)

I am in the same situation as you and I think this is the one I'm getting, well one of the two they look the same to me, but once I figure out the difference I'll decide .

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...081&t=11082005

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=176078

Edit: You do need to factor in the cost of dies though

Double Edit: The one link apparently now links to the press alone. I'm still not sure whether I should get the kit or build my own. I have heard that the powder scale is a POS and should be replaced ASAP.

I intend to reload 7.62x51mm and .45acp. I don't mean to hijack, but I have been told there are special dies for semi-auto .308s is that true?
    Last edited by jon'76; September 22nd, 2008 at 06:33 PM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

You should get the small base .308 dies. The way it was explained to me they size down to SAAMI spec. minimum allowing easier feeding. I run all of my .308 based cases through them when they get sticky on feeding.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

thanks for the tip... i have some more once fired brass now... lol

there went another 18 dollars... :-(

the local gun shop has a RCBS kit for a good price. im going to chat with him a bit next month and see what he recomends. i will keep you guys updated.

i will also be building a bench over the next month or two...
    This Space For Rent

Do you plan on loading A LOT of ammunition at a time?
    I have been using Lee reloading machinery since about 1993, starting out with a hand press and 9mm and 45-70 dies. I'd sit in my recliner for hours on end de-capping brass.
    I moved to the three hole turret press after that instead of a single hole press for the ability to set up all three dies, and quick change calibers in about 30 seconds.
    I removed the auto indexer, and set the turret to the die I want, de-cap, charging, or seating die.
    I can that way de-cap case after case after case after case, then, after priming (with the Lee hand primer) I can charge the case, turn the die and seat the bullets in a matter of seconds.
    I have never tried the progressive presses, as I only load a couple hundred rounds at a time if I'm reloading pistol.
    I have never had a moments trouble with any of my Lee equipment, and reload about 20 different cartridges.
    ALL my dies are Lee with the exception of my .256 Newton, which is currently a borrowed RCBS die, until I finally grow up and pay $150 for my own set.
    The Lee three hole, or even four hole turret presses are more than reasonably priced, and can be mounted easily.
    I mounted mine, for a while, until I built my bench, on one of those three step folding wooden ladders, and, when I was done for the evening, I folded it up and put it in my closet. Worked great that way too.
    Maybe I'm too cheap to go to the progressive press, maybe I'm too old fashioned to try to figure one out.
    Dunno
    But, if your question is, would the progressive be the best deal?
    I'd look at other deals from Lee, and talk to other loaders first.

Phill,
    Who makes, and what is, a small base .308 die?
    Is that smaller than the normal 7/8" dies?
    I have a smaller than that 6.5 Jap set, that has to be screwed into a 7/8 adaptor. I still haven't found out who made that set. if you have a clue, let me know, please. They are blues steel with a micro type bullet seater adjustor, and also an adjustable plunger on the sizing die.
    I'd appreciate any info, Phill, if you or anyone here would happen to know.
    My Lee, 6.5 Jap set works just as good as the blued set.
    Thanks in advance for any info.

Small base refers to the fact that the die will reduce the base of the case to a smaller diameter. The dies are of the standard 7/8" size. We use Lee dies for everything except the .223 for my Mdl. 12 Savage and 7mm BR for the XP-100. These are loaded on Redding Precision dies.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
    I enjoy the massive amount of knowledge found on this site.
    Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast