Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default School Feild Trip Release

My 10 year old son brought home a form to sign for a school field trip. Part of the release states "In consideration of the agreement of the School District to allow my child to participate in the above described outing, and intending to be legally bound hereby, I agree to indemnify and hold harmless the School District, its employees, agents, successors, assigns and legal representatives, against any loss from any and all claims, demands and actions at law or in equity they may hereafter at any time be brought by my child, or anyone acting on her or his behalf, for the purpose of enforcing a claim for damges because of any injury to my child to the extent the school district, its employees, agents, successors, assigns and legal representatives are immune to such claims under the Political Subdivision Tort Claims Act 42 Pa. C.S.A. 8541 et al."

It goes on to say "we will not look to the School District or any of its officers, employees, agents, successors or assigns for the payment of any medical costs or injury related costs."

Does this mean that if my son falls getting off the bus and breaks his neck, that the School cannot be held acccountable? I am a little nervous about signing a form releasing the school from all liability.

Zombie Response Team SECTOR 4 Ground assault unit
    "Nothing defuses people like crazy." ~ Lycanthrope

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: School Feild Trip Release

HUGE DISCLAIMER: i am not a lawyer.

i don't *think* these waivers override negligence. if your son is injured due to negligence on the part of the school district or any of its agents, the waiver won't be a hurdle to suing them.

and, imho, if they aren't negligent, then they shouldn't be held responsible anyway.

thus, i prolly would not have any problem signing one.

again, though, i am not a lawyer, so this may not be accurate.

(i do know we put similar wording in all of our contracts at my business. but i don't think we would actually be protected if something happened due to our negligence.)

(Berks County)

Default Re: School Feild Trip Release

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    HUGE DISCLAIMER: i am not a lawyer.

i don't *think* these waivers override negligence. if your son is injured due to negligence on the part of the school district or any of its agents, the waiver won't be a hurdle to suing them.

and, imho, if they aren't negligent, then they shouldn't be held responsible anyway.

thus, i prolly would not have any problem signing one.

again, though, i am not a lawyer, so this may not be accurate.

(i do know we put similar wording in all of our contracts at my business. but i don't think we would actually be protected if something happened due to our negligence.)
    I would tend to agree with the part I bolded.