Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Summer CC Comfort

Let me start by saying that I don't want to debate CC vs. OC please. I've got a Blackhawk Leather IWB and a Blade-Tech IWB(Kydex) which I use for my XD's. They're both great holsters(and very reasonably priced). My problem is that the smoothside out leather and the Kydex stick to my skin. Think vinyl car seat and early 80's shorts. Very uncomfortable and sometimes even mildly painful. When the temperature gets above about 73 I really don't want to wear an undershirt. Does anyone wear a rough side out holster against their skin? Will doing so eliminate my problem? Or is the leather too rough to be comfortable? Thanks for taking the time to read this.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Summer CC Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    Let me start by saying that I don't want to debate CC vs. OC please. .
    You should never have to preface a question like that. Choices are American and nobody should question yours.
    In summer I pocket carry. I wear carpenters jeans cut offs. Taurus PT145. I may look for an ultralight revolver. I borrowed my buddy`s and it wasn`t much different then a call phone in my pocket. Sometimes I use a belt holster with an untucked shirt.

(Monroe County)

a belly band may be the solution? I've never used one but I think you can put the gun wherever you want and there isn't any leather

(York County)

I have always worn an undershirt so thats what I do. BUt I have seen these fanny pack/belly bands from galls that look cool. Its a working fanny pack to carry your stuf in but the entire thing rips away to reveal a belly band type system. You wear it on the outside and it just clips together like a traditional belt pack.

Dave
    3%

(Berks County)

Have you considered moleskin for the bodyside of the holster? I'm likely to run into the same problem this summer with my taurus pt140 and its kydex holster, and im already considering moleskin for it if sweat/sticking becomes a problem.

Rough side leather is just going to wear a raw spot on your own hide. I know. I tried it. In the summer, I will pocket carry either a Kel Tec P3AT or a S&W .38 snubbie if I want or need to carry concealed. However, there is great freedom in OC if you choose to exercise it. I have gotten to the point where I OC more than I CC, mainly because of comfort.

I do not say you should try OC, only pointing out that the topic of your post is one of the reasons (there are others of couorse) that led me to start OCing more and more.

(Beaver County)

I carry my Taurus titanium .38 snubbie in a horse hide pocket holster with a metal clip. The clip keeps the holster right at the top of my front pocket. A loose shirt covers it, easily, and the butt of the gun is always within easy reach. It's a little heavier than a cell phone, but not by much, and less obtrusive than a cell phone when putting on seat belts or moving around.

I also carry the S&W 4516 in a similar holster, when preferred. It's much heavier, but not any less comfortable.

I have another holster for the .38, that's designed to go completely inside a loose pocket, with a rough outer surface and a hook on the spine to catch the cloth on the draw. It's good for looser clothing, like slacks, when I have to succumb to "business casual" dress.

If you don't want to go with a pocket holster, you really don't have many other choices than to wear an undershirt. You need cloth between you and the leather/plastic to absorb the sweat. It never gets hot in Pennsylvania, anyway, so what's so bad about a t-shirt?

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    Let me start by saying that I don't want to debate CC vs. OC please.

Good for you unloved - Tell it like it is. If others don't like the topic/guidelines you're posing, they can just back the hell out of the thread and move on to another. Without that stipulation......this could easily turn into the "Thread of the Day"

As to the OP? I don't CC.... I cannot help you....but there are many other fine PAFOA members here that can share their experiences and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    You should never have to preface a question like that. Choices are American and nobody should question yours.
    Dude.
    Please.

-
    Gary in Pennsylvania
    -------------------------------
    “No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
    “Argue For Your Limitations……And Sure Enough, They’re Yours.” Messiah's Handbook
    “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates 399BC

(Allegheny County)

I don't OC or CC, yet (just sent in my ltcf) ... but here is a suggestion. Take an old T-Shirt or Undershirt and cut a little piece out that matches the holster. Then attach that piece of cloth to the holster where it touches your skin. Don't know if that would work or if there is a good way to "attach" the cloth.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    a belly band may be the solution?
    I've never used one either. I've always thought they wouldn't be supportive enough for a full size sidearm but maybe I'm wrong.It wouldn't be the first time. I'll have to give it a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjfletcher View Post
    Have you considered moleskin for the bodyside of the holster?
    You,my friend,are a genius! Moleskin didn't even occur to me. I'm going to pick up a package of Dr. Scholls with the adhesive backing and try it out today! I'll let you know how it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    Rough side leather is just going to wear a raw spot on your own hide. I know. I tried it. In the summer, I will pocket carry either a Kel Tec P3AT or a S&W .38 snubbie if I want or need to carry concealed. However, there is great freedom in OC if you choose to exercise it. I have gotten to the point where I OC more than I CC, mainly because of comfort.
    Thanks for the warning. I want a Milt Sparks Summer Special anyway but I can't really justify the expense at present.I'd have been really annoyed with myself if I bought one and then realized it wouldn't help me. I also pocket carry a P3AT as a backup. I just feel naked without one my XD's!
    Quote Originally Posted by PENNSYPLINKER View Post
    I do not say you should try OC, only pointing out that the topic of your post is one of the reasons (there are others of couorse) that led me to start OCing more and more.
    I'm not philosophically opposed to OC,just not ready to try it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevindsingleton View Post
    I carry my Taurus titanium .38 snubbie in a horse hide pocket holster with a metal clip. The clip keeps the holster right at the top of my front pocket.
    Where did you get the holster? Sounds perfect for my KT's. Hmmmm...
    Quote Originally Posted by kevindsingleton View Post
    It never gets hot in Pennsylvania, anyway, so what's so bad about a t-shirt?
    You're kidding right?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast