Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Indiana County)

Default Army & Navy, Latrobe

I deliver in the Latrobe area quite often and always pass the Army Navy shop while heading through town on 981.

I drove down there on my day off, a 40+ mile one way trip.

The shop was jammed full of stuff, not in a good way either, just stuff piled in corners, under tables and in unmarked boxes on shelves. The space behind the counter was piled deep with who knows what, pieces and parts, ammo ect...Some guns stacked against the rear wall, I do not know if they were for sale or not.

I milled around for a while looking in the display case and glancing through some of the boxes.
    The owner (I assumed he was the owner since the other guy "working" there was asking him questions every 3 seconds) was on the phone doing a PICS, while on hold he asked me if I need anything, I was about to ask him for a few prices on some mags since they were not marked as well as if he had a decent used .22, I was going to ask if I could take one of their RSR holsters out of the package to check them out as I was looking for a paddle holster for my newly traded for Glock 19.

Before I could answer, the PICS operator came back on and he finished up with his call while I stood there and listened to the other guy give a customer information about "registering" guns in his wifes name.

I stood there waiting while he was finishing the paperwork and finishing up with the buyer.
    In the mean time, a guy came in with a cased gun and walked past everyone else that was waiting, as soon as the owner was done he immediately went to the guy case guy and started waiting on him, chatting it up and selling him some ammo.

After waiting there right in front of the counter for more than 10 mins, I walked out.

In all fairness, the other guy behind the counter did ask me if I needed anything when I first walked in, but I hadn't had a chance to look around yet.

So... I didn't price the AK mags in the glass case, I didn't price 9mm ammo due to no price tags and didn't see a .22 due to another customer getting preferential treatment. The RSR holster he had for 39.95, I found on line for 26 shipped. I don't mind paying a few bucks more at a brick and mortar store, but this guy won't be seeing me back.
    From the prices I did see, I probably wouldn't have went back anyway.
    Last edited by 39flathead; April 6th, 2009 at 10:13 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Army & Navy, Latrobe

I've been going there for years and yes, Mark does get busy and bounce from customer to customer with tons of phone call interruptions! But I think it is because he is very knowledgeable and customers only want to talk to him! I've purchased several guns through the years and don't have any other complaints. Have a little patience and Latrobe Army Navy will do good for you!

(Westmoreland County)

I buy only from Mark now. He will order anything for me and give me a good price. I bought a gun from Gander and the grips broke on the first shot - they would not fix it or allow a return - just not the level of service I prefer. Plus Mark does not give you BS to make a sale.

(Allegheny County)

Arrow Re: Army & Navy, Latrobe

I stopped in this store today.

They seemed to have a decent selection of Long guns, and Pistols. I picked up a Desantis ankle holster for my J-frame for about $10 less than I could find it online.
    Ak Mags and Ammo were way overpriced. The prices for the Shooting range seemed decent, and you can bring your own ammo. I may stop back some time and check it out.

While I was there one of the counter guys told a customer "You cant own a shotgun with a barrel length less than 18" unless you have a Class 3 License. "

I chimed in that You dont need a class 3 to own NFA items, if you fill out the proper forms, etc. anyone who isnt prohibited could own NFA.

At that point the other counter guy (older gentleman) Stated that "Yeah, but the ATF and the Feds can come and search your house whenever they want"

I told him thats not true, and he told me I didnt know what I was talking about.

I decided that trying to educate these guys would be a waste of my time. So I went on my way.

So overall I would have to say.

Latrobe Army Navy : If you look hard enough you might find a good deal. If not well at least the misinformation is free.

I just had to add my experience with this disgrace of a store. While I was deployed to Afghanistan a few years ago I got to spend a week in Bagram where I was lucky to have unlimited access to internet. I spent the entire week searching for the weapon I wanted and settled on a Armalite AR-10 with a solid buttstock and 20" barrel. The jackass at the Army Navy store informed me he had one left!

While I was on leave I visited my parents in Elkins and my brother ended up driving me up to Latrobe to pick up my gun. When I got there it had a collapsible buttstock and a 16" barrel??? I asked him why he had told me in all the emails that he was saving that specific weapon for me if he didn't even have it in the first place and he said "I don't know".

A huge waste of time and left me in a terrible mood for days, I have bought plenty of other firearms and accessories since then but never from their store. You couldn't pay me to shop there, very uneducated people behind the counter and just a dishonest organization.