Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Do the blind have a right to carry concealed?

Voters
379. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely so.

164 43.27%
  • Definitely not.

123 32.45%
  • Possibly, but there should be additional screening first.

92 24.27%
Page 1 of 54 123451151 ... LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Should the blind be allowed to carry?

Based on some recent comments made by Rudy Giuliani, and discussed on Glen Beck, I'm curious as to the consensus of folks here.

During a town hall meeting in northwestern New Hampshire Tuesday night, Giuliani told a former police officer blinded in the line of duty and concerned about the former New York City mayor's stance on guns, "You don't have to worry."

"You have a constitutional right, that is protected, to bear and carry arms. It is the Second Amendment," Giuliani told about 200 attendees in a high school gymnasium in Lebanon. "If someone disagrees with that, you have to get the Constitution changed."
    Glen suggested yesterday that he thought it was ok for someone 'legally blind', with some vision or completely blind from birth, but that someone sighted who became completely blind should not be allowed to carry a concealed weapon. He did allow a possible concession if there were some type of additional testing/screening for qualification first.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Should the blind be allowed to carry?

hell no! should blind people be allowed to drive????? we have a hard enough time getting people with perfect vision to drive properly and shoot straight enough for self defense. i think blind people would be better off getting a trained monkey to shoot for them and a guard dog, lol. please forgive me if i offend any blind people reading this post........
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

(Montgomery County)

yes, absolutely they should be allowed.

blind does not equate to dangerous....and there is no comparison to driving.

I have assisted a legally blind person to shoot, and it was very rewarding....for both of us.

further, I do know of one case that Assad Mayoob was talking about, a blind guy who carried a 357 snubby full of specially loaded blanks.

effectively, he would use it as a bangstick against an attaker, the gas jet from such a weapon would cut thru clothing, and flash and bone, and can be lethal.

just ask John Eric Hexum.

rights are for everyone, not just those with functioning eyes.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Legally blind, as in they can see what they're aiming at? Yes. I wouldn't be suprised to know if I'm legally blind!

Blind as in can't see anything but black? I can't see how that'd be safe. Definate no.
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    yes, absolutely they should be allowed.

blind does not equate to dangerous....and there is no comparison to driving.

I have assisted a legally blind person to shoot, and it was very rewarding....for both of us.

further, I do know of one case that Assad Mayoob was talking about, a blind guy who carried a 357 snubby full of specially loaded blanks.

effectively, he would use it as a bangstick against an attaker, the gas jet from such a weapon would cut thru clothing, and flash and bone, and can be lethal.

just ask John Eric Hexum.

rights are for everyone, not just those with functioning eyes.
    Yes they are full citizens and they get mugged just like everyone else!

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
    hell no! should blind people be allowed to drive????? we have a hard enough time getting people with perfect vision to drive properly and shoot straight enough for self defense. i think blind people would be better off getting a trained monkey to shoot for them and a guard dog, lol. please forgive me if i offend any blind people reading this post........
    I am in favor of all people to be able to defend themselves , blind people are full citizens, just like the rest of us. I am sighted so I don't have any "problems" but They get victimized just like the rest of us !

They should carry , if someone tries to mess with them they should be able to waste the MFers !

(Bucks County)

hmmm... would you feel ok with sending the blind into the front lines? I think its a safety issue here....i know we all have rights and live in a free country (well, almost) but....i dont know, its a weird one. i vote "no, unless extensively competent with firearm" (and i know most people that can see are not extensively competent with their firearm, but they have a better chance of hitting their target than someone who cant see).

(Franklin County)

Since I didn't give my opinion in my original post, I'll chime in. I voted for yes.

Driving is a poor comparision, since operating a motor vehicle is not a right. I'll even concede that there may be situations where a sighted person could employ their weapon that a blind person wouldn't. In a close quarters situation, it could make all the difference.

As I argue for my own rights: Allow me the freedom and trust that as an upstanding and conscientious citizen I'll exercise it properly, and accept the consequences if I do otherwise. Can't see where sight affects this argument one bit.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Westmoreland County)

I voted "no" because of Rule #4.

The blind can't "be sure of your target".

(Lancaster County)

Completely blind, I would vote no. As I told my friend, even though they might be able to determine a direction to aim from hearing, they still can't see. One of the rules of gun safety is to be sure of your target, and what is behind it. How would you know for sure there wasn't anyone or anything in a forward facing arc in front of you? It just sounds too risky.

Edit: TonyF beat me to it =P

Page 1 of 54 123451151 ... LastLast