Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Armed security hired to protect Philly neighborhood

Sorry .... meant to say cops CAN'T be everywhere at all times.
    Clearly my typing fingers aren't working this morning.
    J.

(Delaware County)

Default Armed security hired to protect Philly neighborhood

Just thought I'd share this interesting story that ran on Philly.com today:

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news...wn_hands_.html

It appears as though people are finally starting to get it: cops be everywhere at all times.
    J.

(Berks County)

I love how the media, and most people in Philly, appear to have no problem with this, but a regular resident exercising their right to carry characterized as the "Wild West".
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Bucks County)

Well of course.....

Excerpt:
    But the neighborhood's police captain and local leaders, six months after the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin by a neighborhood watchman in Sanford, Fla., are uncomfortable with Northwood's private guard.

"Any time you have an armed security guard working with the public, you just don't know what can happen," said Capt. Frank Bachmayer of the 15th Police District. "It's definitely a concern
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Lancaster County)

"Any time you have an armed security guard working with the public, you just don't know what can happen," said Capt. Frank Bachmayer of the 15th Police District.
    Well no sh*t that's why we individuals are armed, dumbass, because you just don't know what can happen.
    Last edited by Yellowfin; August 9th, 2012 at 10:30 AM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    Well of course.....

"Any time you have an armed security guard working with the public, you just don't know what can happen," said Capt. Frank Bachmayer of the 15th Police District. "It's definitely a concern[/COLOR][/I].
    Uhhh Frankie dear.......anytime you get outa bed you don't know what can happen....dohhhhh
    Seriously IQ challenged.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Delaware County)

I wonder how he would react to seeing someone open carrying.

I actually don't see a problem with this. I'm generally in favor of letting market forces take their effects, and I'd wager to say that a private security firm would do a better and more effective job (all things being equal) than a government firm. Private firms really do serve their customers; not only are you more likely to be treated professionally, but they know that if they don't do a good job, they are out of the job.

I think the only real reason the local police are so 'wary' of this becoming a trend is that it could eventually lead to market competition.

Finally; all of the concerns voiced from the side of LEO's in this article (we don't want another Zimmerman/Martin, it's scary to have armed citizens), don't all those concerns apply with equal force TO LEO's in general?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    I actually don't see a problem with this. I'm generally in favor of letting market forces take their effects, and I'd wager to say that a private security firm would do a better and more effective job (all things being equal) than a government firm. Private firms really do serve their customers; not only are you more likely to be treated professionally, but they know that if they don't do a good job, they are out of the job.

I think the only real reason the local police are so 'wary' of this becoming a trend is that it could eventually lead to market competition.

Finally; all of the concerns voiced from the side of LEO's in this article (we don't want another Zimmerman/Martin, it's scary to have armed citizens), don't all those concerns apply with equal force TO LEO's in general?
    Yep. There are some cities in other states that hire private police forces. Each firm places bids for the contract. San Francisco is one of them -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrol_Special

South Carolina has something similar. Private security guards have the same power of arrest as the sheriff(who is a full LEO).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    Well of course.....

Excerpt:
    But the neighborhood's police captain and local leaders, six months after the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin by a neighborhood watchman in Sanford, Fla., are uncomfortable with Northwood's private guard.

"Any time you have an armed security guard working with the public, you just don't know what can happen," said Capt. Frank Bachmayer of the 15th Police District. "It's definitely a concern
    Well OF COURSE the local police captain is going to have a problem with it. The police hate competition. The entire paragraph, and the captain's quote, reads as follows (emphasis by me):

Northwood residents sing the guard's praises. They complain that the Police Department is slow to — and in some cases fails to — respond when called. But the neighborhood's police captain and local leaders, six months after the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin by a neighborhood watchman in Sanford, Fla., are uncomfortable with Northwood's private guard.

"Any time you have an armed security guard working with the public, you just don't know what can happen," said Capt. Frank Bachmayer of the 15th Police District. "It's definitely a concern."
    Further in the article, there are "concerns" from an councilwoman as well. So it seems the only people that have a problem with the private guard are the police who he might put out of a job, and a city councilwoman who's just knee-jerk reacting to a private citizen, hired by neighborhood residents, to do the job police are supposed to be doing anyway.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; August 9th, 2012 at 12:08 PM.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast