Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Which is the better Gun?

I was wondering if anyone has info on the Smith and Wesson M&P .40 and how does it compare to the Springfield XD .40. This gun will be used primarily for plinking (once a week at the range), self defense and an occasional competition shoot. I have shot the XD and really like it. I am more wondering about the M&P and maybe how it compares if anyone knows. Thank you in advance for your help.

Brandon

Default Re: Which is the better Gun?

they are both gonna serve you fine, i'd suggest trying to get some range time with an M&P and go from there...

(Delaware County)

Both are good, reliable firearms. Most people ive talked to made their desission on how they feel. My wife and dad both have the M&P. The XD just wasnt comfortable for them to shoot. Shoot both, you will most likely notice the diference in feel, i did. The better gun is the one you can shoot better, and feels better to you.

(Allegheny County)

Where's that damn "Whichever one feels more comfortable in your hand" button!!!!!!

Like has already been said here, it's better to shoot and feel each one. Me personally, I'd pick the M&P out of those 2, because it's more comfortable in my hand, shoot better with it, and more comfortable for me to wear. But I still ended up going with Sig; yes its heavier, but just a personal preference on my part.

(Centre County)

i'm partial to M&P. With interchangeble grip insert, you can adjust how it fits to your hand. For someone like myself with smaller hand, this is big plus.

Polymor grip feel cheap on M&P. Much nicer feel onXD.
    You can change M&P's front sight with minimum effort. Front sight on XD will likely to brake when you try to remove it.
    You can disassemble M&P WITHOUT pulling trigger. You can't with XD.
    You can buy parts for M&P, but not for XD(does have lifetime warrenty. You just have to send it back to get it fixed).
    M&P comes in any color you want as long as that color is black, but multiple finish choice with XD.
    XD have has more choice (SubCommpact, compact, service, and tactical on XD. Full size and compact on M&P)
    I see marginally more brakage with XD then M&P(Observing M&P and XD forum(I guess you have more choice if your going with M&P45.
    More caliber choice with XD(9mm, 40SW, 357Sig, 45ACP, 45GAP. currently, M&P only come in 9mm, 40SW, 45ACP. 357sig is said to be available soon. No 45GAP).
    M&P carry more ammo in same caliber then XD(17+1 vs 16+1 on 9mm, 15+1 Vs. 12+1 on 40SW). But you can carry more in 45ACP with XD then you can with M&P
    M&P is made in USA. XD is.....made in some place called Republic of Croatia. IS it Middle eastern contry? OR former eastern Block?
    Last edited by Mity2; October 7th, 2007 at 06:39 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by itstock View Post
    Where's that damn "Whichever one feels more comfortable in your hand" button!!!!!!
    +1+1+1+1+1+1+1....
    I own guns!

I have shot both 40s and as everyone says, it is all about feel. However, I recently purchased the M&P 45 and I absolutely love it. Seeing you are from State College, there is a guy from Altoona area that is well known and respected for his M&P work - name is Dan Burwell, here is his website: http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/index.htm. He is all the rave over at mp-pistol.com for his handiwork. I am heavily considering having him do a trigger job on my m&p. Also, from Oct 1 til the end of the year, you get 2 free magazines from S&W if you purchase a new m&p pistol. But I dont think that you can go wrong with either one.

(Delaware County)

I bought the M+P after holding both the XD and the M+P, the M+P felt much better and comfortable in my grip. After shooting the M+P and trying each grip to see which one is better I love to shoot with it. I wish I could give a feedback on the XD but have not shot one. I would try and rent each and see which one YOU prefer, they both get great reviews.

(Beaver County)

i vote for the xd.
    if it ever came down to a "you can only have one pistol" scenario, id choose my xd over anything else... hands down.
    amazing pistol.

if you need convincing, read this:

http://springfield-armory.primediaou.../SPstory11.php

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast