Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default can I legally own a gun? conversion to voluntary status mental hospital?

maybe because my situation makes it kind of wrong I cant, and sometimes, laws are unjust and dont represent the individual situation. but I suppose asking the way I did was wrong.
    Last edited by spiroth10; March 25th, 2015 at 09:05 AM. Reason: added content

Default Re: can I legally own a gun? conversion to voluntary status mental hospital?

see above. if you all actually understood what happened, and that I was put into trouble because im stuck in an abusive situation where my family tried to lie about me to get me in trouble in the first place and how mentally disturbed they are, you'd understand why I seek to get around laws that hurt me for literally no reason, when I am a stable person. the hospital staff agreed with me and let me go saying there was nothing wrong with me.
    Last edited by spiroth10; March 25th, 2015 at 09:07 AM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: can I legally own a gun? conversion to voluntary status mental hospital?

No and for the rest of us DON'T!

You can't even read our rules.

National Discuss National, firearm-related politics and organize communication with national representatives here.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

who the hell let Topsy back in?!?
    Hold the Line...

OP, dont get discouraged by the crap your getting. I would suggest taking a minute to read what you wrote. Well, ill be honest. Don't bother reading it. Just delete it. Then, think about what questions you are trying to ask, and how you would ask them. Think about the words you would use.

Now, put those words, exactly how you would say them, into sentences. It might help to use the right sections of the forum, which may be the general section, but i think this thread is best suited for the lounge.

It is a little difficult to read, and thus understand, the point of your post the way it is currently written.

Welcome aboard. I am sure there are tons of folks that can offer you some great advice, you just need to put a little more effort into the questions you are trying to ask.

(Lancaster County)

Maybe it's just me, but someone that's willing to lie to avoid arrest doesn't exactly sound like the type of character that's responsible enough to carry a firearm. We don't like it when police lie in reports or on the stand about persons, why should we like it when a citizen lies to the police just to avoid arrest?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

I edited it all out, sure, good for you. I will petition to get my rights back, as soon as I possibly can, because it was unjust, and I can prove there was no mental instability. I believe I may have to wait, and im not even sure if my state supported that relief from disabilities act, but if it did I am certainly eligible./

but the reason being that I was put in the situation unjustly. my family lied about me and tried to "teach me a lesson" for disagreeing with them and trying to show them I needed love and a happy life - they mentaly abused me and didnt let me have other people around, lied about things to me and kinda kept me in the dark but I trusted them. they lied to authorities and I was unjustly dragged out of bed to be put there. it began when I was being proactive and trying to talk out damage done in my life, ended in an argument, and I ended up leaving and going to sleep. they lied and said I was a threat to myself and others and tried to get me taken to jail for no reason, but seeing as I never did anything except supposedly make vague threats about killing myself and fighting they gave me the option of that instead. there was no damage, nothing. and I didnt even say those things, but it was 2 vs 1.

when I went to the hospital the staff agreed and said to get out of the unhealthy situation. and that there was no hope of salvation of my family relationships. I ended up going home, and then worse happened and I ended up staying a week in jail over nothing, but since I got a lawyer and fought it I proved I was innocent, and learned that I had to leave my home behind with nothing. I was homeless for awhile and am now just pulling myself up from my bootstraps.

I only stated Id be willing to lie because I shouldnt have a provision over my head because of these reasons. I didnt get to prove my side, that nothing ever happened and I never said Id hurt myself or anyone.

I was trapped in an abusive situation, and that time helped me realize there was no saving my family relationship.

I still feel that it is unjust representation and will asap try to get my rights back and file a petition. but it will take a very long time for that to be possible, if it even is in this state. until then, maybe I will or wont lie, because I never had any intent of harming anyone.

whether or not I am willing to do what I want anyway is beyond anyone else. I have to determine that for myself. but its not right for me to be in this situation, and I view the whole thing as a fascist excuse to take away my rights. I never was a harm to myself or anyone else. Ive never hurt or threatened people or tried to commit suicide ever. I was scared to go to jail over something I didnt do, and wanted a chance to talk it out with my family again. which has ruined my life. but I suppose I have the answers I sought. I support fairness and equality, and understanding of shit like this.

the only mental disorder I Have is minor anxiety.
    Last edited by spiroth10; March 25th, 2015 at 09:20 AM.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by spiroth10 View Post
    I edited it all out, sure, good for you. I will petition to get my rights back, as soon as I possibly can, because it was unjust, and I can prove there was no mental instability. I believe I may have to wait, and im not even sure if my state supported that relief from disabilities act, but if it did I am certainly eligible./

but the reason being that I was put in the situation unjustly. my family lied about me and tried to "teach me a lesson" for disagreeing with them and trying to show them I needed love and a happy life - they mentaly abused me and didnt let me have other people around, lied about things to me and kinda kept me in the dark but I trusted them. they lied to authorities and I was unjustly dragged out of bed to be put there. it began when I was being proactive and trying to talk out damage done in my life, ended in an argument, and I ended up leaving and going to sleep. they lied and said I was a threat to myself and others and tried to get me taken to jail for no reason, but seeing as I never did anything except supposedly make vague threats about killing myself and fighting they gave me the option of that instead. there was no damage, nothing. and I didnt even say those things, but it was 2 vs 1.

when I went to the hospital the staff agreed and said to get out of the unhealthy situation. and that there was no hope of salvation of my family relationships. I ended up going home, and then worse happened and I ended up staying a week in jail over nothing, but since I got a lawyer and fought it I proved I was innocent, and learned that I had to leave my home behind with nothing. I was homeless for awhile and am now just pulling myself up from my bootstraps.

I only stated Id be willing to lie because I shouldnt have a provision over my head because of these reasons. I didnt get to prove my side, that nothing ever happened and I never said Id hurt myself or anyone.

I was trapped in an abusive situation, and that time helped me realize there was no saving my family relationship.

I still feel that it is unjust representation and will asap try to get my rights back and file a petition. but it will take a very long time for that to be possible, if it even is in this state. until then, maybe I will or wont lie, because I never had any intent of harming anyone.

whether or not I am willing to do what I want anyway is beyond anyone else. I have to determine that for myself. but its not right for me to be in this situation, and I view the whole thing as a fascist excuse to take away my rights. I never was a harm to myself or anyone else. Ive never hurt or threatened people or tried to commit suicide ever. I was scared to go to jail over something I didnt do, and wanted a chance to talk it out with my family again. which has ruined my life. but I suppose I have the answers I sought. I support fairness and equality, and understanding of shit like this.

the only mental disorder I Have is minor anxiety.
    First things first.

If the paperwork was done correctly and it was filed as a voluntary commitment, you should have no problems with your firearms rights.

I would make sure you have ALL copies of your mental health record, so you can show easily that it was voluntary.

PLEASE contact LBaker on this forum. He is a member of Firearms Owners Against Crime a major mover in gun rights in PA, and they are currently trying to address major problems with the mental health system in PA. They are attempting to gather information from people who, like yourself have had problems. They can undoubtedly help steer you in the correct direction if you have any problems, answer questions, and direct you to those who know the correct answers.

The thread requesting you contact him is here:

http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...2-stories.html

You can contact him via this link:

http://forum.pafoa.org/members/3031-lbaker/

Lastly: I am sorry about your troubles, you do not get to pick your family, and some of them are really, really messed up. It sucks, but all you can do is push on and move past it. I'll keep you in my prayers.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Lancaster County)

Please note that the OP's location is NY (confirmed by IP Check), and didn't NY just pass a law about mental health commitments? He makes no mention that this is a PA issue.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.