Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Best county to apply?

Hi, all. My first post here. I'm a 64 year-old northwest Illinois resident with a CCL that's almost 1 whole year old. I realize that makes me a newbie compared to folks around here, but that's Illannoy...the last state in the Union to permit concealed carry thanks to the Chicago Machine.

Despite having what many consider fairly stiff license requirements (16 hours of training, demonstrate proficiency on a target with minimum score, $150 license fee, and FBI, state police and county sheriff background checks) reciprocity with other states has been slow coming.

(Heck, even getting an Illannoy resident CCL takes over 100 days if fingerprints aren't submitted.)

Anyway, I've been thinking about getting a non-resident PA license in order to pick up a few additional states. I've heard that the process is relatively quick, painless and inexpensive. At least compared to Illannoy.

A buddy (who also has a CCL) owns a small plane and making a quick 1-day trip to PA and back might be in the cards. I've heard good things about the Centre County sheriff's department, but I'm wondering if there's a county closer to us that would serve as well. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Best county to apply?

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Pucker View Post
    Hi, all. My first post here. I'm a 64 year-old northwest Illinois resident with a CCL that's almost 1 whole year old. I realize that makes me a newbie compared to folks around here, but that's Illannoy...the last state in the Union to permit concealed carry thanks to the Chicago Machine.
    The residents of Maryland, Hawaii, and New Jersey would disagree with you

Yes, I know what you meant.

(Lancaster County)

Small Plane? You could fly into the Lancaster Airport, take 501S to Duke Street in Lancaster straight to the Sheriff's office. Might take you 10 to 15 minutes to drive down and 20 minutes or so to get your LTCF.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Centre should be good, but IIWY I would call a few departments, and find out their position, and be sure they issue on the spot. Be aware though if there is a delay in the background check you may need to return to pick up your ltcf.
    FUCK BIDEN