Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Hornady LNL AP or Dillon XL650 (only vote if you have FIRSTHAND experience)

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hornady LNL auto progressive

8 26.67%
  • Dillon XL650

22 73.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Columbia County)

Default Hornady or Dillon???

I am ready to get a progressive press. I have my choices narrowed down to Hornady LNL auto progressive and the Dillon XL650. I will still keep my turret press and use it for rifle rounds where I'm looking for utmost accuracy. I will be doing a variety of pistol calibers and .223 on it. I am looking for firsthand experience, either by owners of either of the presses or those who have actually used either of them. PLEASE DON'T VOTE IF YOU DON'T HAVE FIRSTHAND EXPERIENCE ON THESE. Otherwise, 95% of the votes will be for Dillon because it's the biggest name in progressives.

I have narrowed it down to only those two options. I don't want a Lee because I want a no-hassle forever warranty. I don't want the RCBS because auto-indexing is a must for me.

I don't care about the time it takes to change calibers or price (Well, of course I care about the price, but I am willing to pay more, or less if that's the case, for quality, as this is a one-time investment). What I do care about is accuracy of powder throws, quality of the press (to include small parts that, when broken, stop production), and overal ease of use. Please feel free to tell me any personal likes/dislikes with either of them. Thank you!

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Hornady or Dillon???

Dillon

Now go buy one

(Chester County)

Buy the Dillon and never look back. Excellent product with the finest customer support you will ever see

(Lehigh County)

I have the Dillon XL650. Love it! Lifetime guarantee. 50 years from now my loader will still be in like new working condition, and I will not have to spend one more cent to keep it that way. What more could you ask for.

I see you live in Bloomsburg, I live in Allentown. If you are going to be down my way, send me an e-mail and I will let you try it out first-hand.

I bought my XL650 on-line without talking to a Dillon sales person. When it came in the mail, I needed to get a caliber conversion kit which I didn't know I needed to change calibers so I could load .357 rounds. Called Dillon and explained that I made a mistake and forgot to order the conversion kit. The guy apologized for MY mistake and they set me the kit FREE! Received it the next day!

It doesn't get any better than that.
    Last edited by Gary737; October 21st, 2009 at 09:09 PM.

(Centre County)

Dillon, love mine, love the no BS warranty. Although I have heard some pretty good things about the Hornady. I don't think you would go wrong with either (wow, sounds like a politician talking . Seriously though, I own/have owned several Dillion presses and have never been disappointed. When I say have owned, it is only because I sold it to finance an upgraded model (SDB to XL650)
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(York County)

Wink Re: Hornady or Dillon???

Buy the dillon its worth it in the long run.....

(Jefferson County)

I only have first hand experience with the Dillon, and it is an excellent quality product. The only problem I have had with it is make sure you get ball powder so it will work with the powder measure accurately. Flake and stick powders tend to not be real accurate with it (lot of crunching during each cycle = lot of broken powder). Top quality stuff though, and built like a tank.

Max,

I have used Dillon products and am extremely pleased. I finally had a piece finally wear out on it after 20+ years. Called them up and the parts were in the mail within days.

As for the accuracy of loaded rounds, I can hit an 6" gong at 300yds all day with ammo loaded on it. 300 yd ground squirrels are easy. Ball, flake and extruded powders have never posed any problems with the reloader. I currently load 20 grns 0f IMR 4198 (long extruded powder) with 55 grn BK's and am shooting the above groups with it.

Pistol and rifle are a breeze to load on it. If my primer tubes are full, I can reload 100 pistol rnds in 15 min. Rifle (.223) is just about as fast. I have stated the speed factor before and have had some a**holish answers about not needing to load that fast and safety questions about how I reload. I can honestly say that I have reloaded over 20,000 pistol rounds on my Dillon and have never had a squib. At least that many rifle and never a squib either. (I'd rather be shooting than reloading).

Dillon is exceptional and a once in a lifetime buy. Spend the money now and never look back.

Ace

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by levib View Post
    I only have first hand experience with the Dillon, and it is an excellent quality product. The only problem I have had with it is make sure you get ball powder so it will work with the powder measure accurately. Flake and stick powders tend to not be real accurate with it (lot of crunching during each cycle = lot of broken powder). Top quality stuff though, and built like a tank.
    Interesting, my 550 setup LOVES flake powder. I would actually say when using flake powder, my dispenser is the MOST accurate.

I bought a used 650 fifteen years ago. I have used the Dillon No BS warranty due to my own ignorance. The customer service is awesome. Keep it clean and lubed and it will run great.

Drink the Blue Kool-Aid,
    Walt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast