Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guns and Kids

(Cambria County)

Default Guns and Kids

I was wondering how you handle firearms and your kids. Years ago I adopted a policy in my house. That if the kid wants to see the firearms, I stop everything to let them see them. It has been working great.

I first took the kids, sat them on the floor and put every weapon I owned on the floor before them. Then it was "Touch and hold all you want time". The kids got to hold them, aim them, see how they worked. I stressed safe gun handling the entire time, but also tried to make it fun. We did this for almost an hour till the kids grew bored with them. I told them that all they have to do is ask, and I will let them do it all over again any time. (They have asked me once more since this time. I think that was more to see if I really would get them all out for them to check out and "play" with. They occasionally ask to see a pistol that I am cleaning, so I let them handle it till they are bored with it. Not till "I think" they should be done with it. This can be a pain some times.)

The next step started yesterday. I got all the weapons out to clean them after the PAFOA shoot. And the oldest asked if she could help. We sat and I showed her how they came apart, let her try it. Then showed her how to clean them. Then how to put them back together. She had a good time. And we got to bond some more.

The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Guns and Kids

I Take the same approach with my 2 boys. They like guns and like to shoot, but from day one I have been preaching gun safety! I let them hold them, aim and work the actions but only after they practice checking to make sure each one is unloaded and safe to handle. I give them pop quizzes all the tie too, like: "Pop Quiz! You come home from school and there is a pistol on the table...what do you do?" They always answer that they will not touch it! LOL

If you drill it into them at a young age and remove the curiosity...they will learn to respect guns and understand them better than kids that have never handled them...

(Cambria County)

It just makes sense. Kids are curious. Very Curious. Tell them not to touch. And you know darn good and well they are going to have too. And that means they will have to sneak around to do it.

So, tell them they can touch it any time they want. You just want to be there with them. Now the "Big Mystery" is gone. They have touched and "played with" those guns. So they don't feel they have to sneak a touch.

Next step is in the works. Got them out shooting the BB gun. Working on good sight alignment. I am also buying a .22 for the kids to shoot. Then to teach them how to dismantle and clean it.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Fayette County)

We don't have kids but I have 8 nephews and nieces. I have always tried to get and keep them involved in shooting both firearms and archery. My brother doesn't hunt or shoot so I like to try to help keep the kids informed on proper and safe handling. When they ask to shoot, we take the .22 down to the rifle range and they love it.

I think teaching them young that firearms aren't to be feared but respected is a good thing.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

(Snyder County)

I thought this was a great approach the first time I heard it. And still think it is great. And correct me if I am wrong here, but these kids were not around you (and guns) from birth, correct?

My point is that this is a good approach, but if taught and reinforced from birth about guns, the techniques will stick. But I totally agree on the policy that they should be able to ask whenever they want to handle or see any guns. And you will let them.

(Allegheny County)

great job of parenting mtbkski!

if all parents had this much patience and took this much time with their kids, the world would be a much better place.

(Allegheny County)

I didn't have kids when I was married and now I'm too old (read grumpy) to have any now.

It's great you dads and moms are teaching your kids.

But where were the safety glasses? Hate to get solvent in the eyes.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Luzerne County)

This is a great thread, it's been in the back of my mind for a while how I'm going to eventually teach my daughter about firearms. Right now she's 14 months old though, so the only thing thats going through her mind is....."if it's within my reach and can pick it up, it's going in the mouth" So, all the guns are stored safely way out of her reach. Once her comprehension and curiosity grow though, I think you have an awesome approach to teaching Mtbkski. what age were your kids when you started "touch and hold all you want" time?
    Beretta 9000s 9mm

(Westmoreland County)

I let my 2 daughters hold them and aim them if they ask.but only after they tell me the safety rules first that i have explained to them many of times.

Never thought about letting them clean them. My older one is probably up to the task.

The last 2 weeks i have been taking them to the out door range on Sunday. its closed for shooting that day. I give them a paper lunch bag and tell them to see who can pick up the most brass. They have fun and learn some things also.

I can't think of anything to add that hasn't been posted.
    Except, if your into hunting take full advantage of the mentored youth program.
    My oldest always did decent in school...now he's in the top percent because he wants to go hunting so bad.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast