Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First day with the LTCF!

I picked up my LTCF this morning from the fine folks at 9th and Spring Garden. I arrived just at the opening bell, and waited behind one other gentleman who was picking his license up as well. Doors opened by 8:30, I was out the door by 8:50.

My first stop was my home, so that I could strap on the Glock and take it out. Our first stop was the gas station, so I could throw away some stuff before our second stop, the car wash. This went utterly uneventfully, though I couldn't get the damn holster to sit comfortably. I wound up stepping into the men's room to adjust it.

From there, I went to the pet store to pick up some pet supplies, and to the dry cleaner to pick up some (shocker!) dry cleaning. Then I went home to drop everything off and ran back out again. This time, to the flower shop, a gun shop (which was closed for the day!), another gun shop, and finally a restaurant to do a to-go for lunch (the reason for the flowers required a to-go lunch, as there were preparations to make!). Finally, I went home.

The only time the entire day (thus far) that I felt uncomfortable was when a cop pulled up behind me. I had that "oh shit" moment where I wondered if I had broken the speed limit. My first day with the license was NOT the day I wanted to have to Declare, though I would have without a moment's hesitation had I been pulled over. Turned out that we were just going in the same direction, so it was uneventful. I did have to remind myself that I wasn't doing anything wrong by having the gun with me, that I was properly licensed, and was acting in accordance with the law.

We'll see how the rest of the day goes, but not bad for my first 5 hours!

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: First day with the LTCF!

Good luck with it......
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lebanon County)

Now save your OC virginity for my hearing.

(York County)

Good job. Be safe and enjoy your freedoms responsibly.

Dave
    3%

I have also started to carry on occasion. Mainly cc, but I have oc on a couple jeep rides. I have also noticed that I (bordering ocd) check to make sure I have my ltcf or that I'm conducting myself within the law of the land.
    Seems to support the idea that individuals carrying are generally more lawabiding..etc.
    Oh.. congrats on the new license to carry!

(Somerset County)

congratulations
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    My first day with the license was NOT the day I wanted to have to Declare, though I would have without a moment's hesitation had I been pulled over.
    You have no duty to inform a LEO that you are carrying when you are stopped. Never volunteer any info to a LEO unless it is necessary. If you are carrying concealed, don't tell him you are carrying unless you are told to get out of then car.

Otherwise, you are possibly going to be asked to step out and be disarmed for no real reason.

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post
    You have no duty to inform a LEO that you are carrying when you are stopped. Never volunteer any info to a LEO unless it is necessary. If you are carrying concealed, don't tell him you are carrying unless you are told to get out of then car.

Otherwise, you are possibly going to be asked to step out and be disarmed for no real reason.
    And don't forget, Philly sidewalks taste like CRAP!!!

"you have no power; here is the power; feel the power, brat, and then speak again of how you come to kill the Eternal."
    Pennywise The Clown

(Philadelphia County)

Philadelphia illegally requires informing the officer of your CCW, and presentation of the LTCF(duh). It is illegal, but realistically the revocation outweighs hassle. I am big into my rights, but I'm also of the choose my battles sort. I think anyone should be able to carry anywhere at 18 without a permit regardless of any past indiscretions, but I'm sure as hell not going to do so.

IMO you'll be fine. You probably will never have an encounter with a police officer unless you decide to OC. If you do OC please be sure to know your rights extensively otherwise you will be BS'd by the authorities.

Also, in case of confrontation please remember that the officer isn't the asshole its the politician forcing his hand. If you extend common courtesy to the officer he will extend the same to you 98% of the time even if he decides to arrest or detain you. If you encounter a tough-guy wanna-be drill-sergeant type just keep your mouth shut because even if you're right he doesn't care. The key to all encounters is courtesy and respect, if they fail the new key is tight lips and a lawyer.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

(Allegheny County)

Congratulations on the license, it can be a huge convenience. I wouldn't worry too much about the police officers. It's not a huge mystery that alot of people out there have licenses to carry firearms.

I never got comfortable with the concealing, though. Maybe I had the wrong holsters, or what have you, but it never seemed to work. My next investment is going to be a good gun belt. I usually carry with pretty stiff leather work belts, but even those don't seem to quite fit the ticket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast