Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Squibs

(Philadelphia County)

Default Squibs

what to do with Squibs?

in the past two weeks I've had one 9mm and 2 .22lr mess up on me. The 9mm something happened and the case was dented.

The .22s went "click", and after waiting 10 seconds or so, I extracted and could easily see a mark on the rim. But did not hear any boom.

What is the correct way to dispose of these?? Throw them as close to the backstop as possible? Leave them in the tin bucket for shells??

How dangerous are rounds that fail to fire?
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

make sure you don't damage your barrel. use a wooden dowel or something to free the bullet from the barrel. just toss the bullet in the trash...esp if you shoot at a range...they should have a trash can for brass or bullets.

(Philadelphia County)

Just a terminology thing, but I believe the proper definition of a squib round is one that is underloaded with powder just enough to push the round into the barrel, but not properly fire, not just a misfire.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Armstrong County)

I thought squibs were underpowered loads too. I always call rounds that don't ignite at all "duds" but that probably isn't the correct term

Anyways what I do with duds is try 'em again. In the Sigs I'll try a couple more times immediately. Anything else leave the gun pointed in a safe direction about 30 seconds then try the round again.

All the duds I've had thus far have been commercial so I just toss them in the burn barrel. Makes burning trash much more fun especially at night

If/when I get a dud reload I'll dismantle it to figure out what went wrong.

normally, there is no powder just the primer and the bullet gets stuck in the barrel...seen it a few times when i was the range officer...can be very dangerous if you don't know there is a bullet stuck in your barrel.

(Bucks County)

Cool

yeah,
    Iv have had a couple federal .22's and 1 round of Fiochii .45 ACP, misfire on me. I pulled the trigger, gun went *click* and nothing happened. I ejected the shell, to find it was pin dent on the primer. I wasnt sure what to do with the bullet, so i just pointed it in the safe direction down the range, and when i left i hand it to the first person i saw that works at the range. I'm not sure if thats the proper way of going about it, but thats what i do
    Drak
    Life and Liberty, Freedom for all.