Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default FFL for "Business from the home" FFL 01

Guys,
    I've been considering obtaining my FFL in order to run a small business from my house. I know that I'll need to make sure that the area I live in properly zoned for this type of business, and check w/ local and possibly state authorities. I'd like to sell mostly rifles via online services like Gunbroker and maybe set up a website. It seems as though there is quite a bit of effort and a lot hoops to jump through to do this. I would like to do this, as I really enjoy firearms and refinishing wood furniture on rifles and then selling the finished product. What I'm getting at is, is it really worth it? I'd appreciate your input on this guys.

Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: FFL for "Business from the home" FFL 01

Quote Originally Posted by Sinatra View Post
    What I'm getting at is, is it really worth it? I'd appreciate your input on this guys.

Thanks!
    Really depends on what your looking to get out of it. Are you looking to do this full time, pay some bills, pay for toys, etc? There are definitely a lot of hoops to jump through but really only you can decide if they are worth it.

Do a quick search, I know that xringshooter (i think, brain fart right now) has described the steps that he had to take to set his up.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Be aware that running it from your home, being your one and only building which is also your primary residence, means that your home is fair game for every intrusion imaginable into your privacy. For the sake of your sanity, have an outbuilding that is clearly separate and capable of being used as a business premise.

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    Be aware that running it from your home, being your one and only building which is also your primary residence, means that your home is fair game for every intrusion imaginable into your privacy. For the sake of your sanity, have an outbuilding that is clearly separate and capable of being used as a business premise.
    Thanks for the heads up re: the privacy aspect. This may sound somewhat dumb, but I wonder if storing the firearms in a safe in a garage would be advisable.

(Centre County)

Here is some of what you will need to go into the gun business (now this is for PA, you'll need to get into the NC laws to see what might be different):

PA Firearms license (get at the Sheriffs Office). You will not get this before you get the 01 license but they should be able to give you something to attach to your 01 application stating that you will get it as soon as the 01 license is issued.

Any local licenses and/or approvals (township, city, boro, etc. will explain what you need). Once you have these, attach copies to the 01 application to prove your are serious about setting up a business.

PA Sales and Use Tax license (apply on line at PA Dept of Revenue). You can submit sales tax collected via EFT if you so wish.

A storefront business OR approval for a home based business from the local government agencies (the BATFE would prefer a storefront, but will give approval for some home based businesses if the locals give their approval)

Federal Firearms License (and you will need to prove to them (the BATFE) that you have or can get the above before they approve/issue the FFL). IIRC, the BATFE also tells you that you need to get all other licenses, permits, etc. within 30 days of receiving the FFL or you must turn it back in.

Not a true requirement but you're looking for trouble if you don't have them:
    Set up a business, either LLC, Corp, or sole proprietorship (however, with SP if something goes wrong they can take everything you own)
    and
    Business insurance (unless you are independently wealthy and self insure)

Then you have to start filing a PA business tax return (boy is it confusing the first time) and a federal business tax return.

You definitely will want a safe (or safes) to store your goods in. Also, the BATFE likes to see that you have a secure storage area that is different and separate from you personal guns. I have 4 safes and all are marked as personal or business.

I do not advertise my business with signs, etc.; the people who need to know I have a business know I have a business. At this time it is not to put bread on the table, but a business started because of a hobby. It helps me buy some goodies ever now and then (see my post about getting into NFA items )

Hope this helps. If you need any other info, feel free to PM me and I try to answer any other questions you may have.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; July 15th, 2009 at 05:25 PM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Here is some of what you will need (this is for PA, you'll need to get into the NC laws to see what might be different):

PA Firearms license (get at the Sheriffs Office). You may not get this before you get the 01 license but they should be able to give you something to attach to your 01 application stating that you will get it as soon as the 01 license is issued.

Any local licenses and/or approvals (township, city, boro, etc. will explain what you need). Once you have these, attach copies to the 01 application to prove your are serious about setting up a business.

PA Sales and Use Tax license (apply on line at PA Dept of Revenue). You can submit sales tax collected via EFT if you so wish.

A storefront business OR approval for a home based business from the local government agencies (the BATFE would prefer a storefront, but will give approval for some home based businesses if the locals give their approval)

Federal Firearms License (and you will need to prove to them that you have or can get the above before they approve/issue the FFL)

Not a true requirement but you're looking for trouble if you don't have them:
    Set up a business, either LLC, Corp, or sole proprietorship (however, with SP if something goes wrong they can take everything you own)
    and
    Business insurance (unless you are independently wealthy and self insure)

Then you have to start filing a PA business tax return (boy is it confusing the first time) and a federal business tax return.

You definitely will want a safe (or safes) to store your goods in. Also, the BATFE likes to see that you have a secure storage area that is different and separate from you personal guns. I have 4 safes and all are marked as personal or business.

I do not advertise my business with signs, etc.; the people who need to know I have a business know I have a business. At this time it is not to put bread on the table, but a business started because of a hobby. It helps me buy some goodies ever now and then (see my post about getting into NFA items )

Hope this helps. If you need any other info, feel free to PM me and I try to answer any other questions you may have.

This gets asked so much ... maybe it should be a sticky.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Thumbs up Re: FFL for "Business from the home" FFL 01

That's some very helpful info. I too, would like to have my FFL for the same reasons. Thanks Xring!

(Centre County)

Federal Firearms License (and you will need to prove to them that you have or can get the above before they approve/issue the FFL)
    This one confused me.

Get your FFL before you get the FFL? Obviously I'm missing something in the terminology

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by lexnaturalis View Post
    This one confused me.

Get your FFL before you get the FFL? Obviously I'm missing something in the terminology
    “The above” in Xringshooter’s post refers to the Pennsylvania Firearms License, any municipal licenses, Pennsylvania Sales and Use Tax license, and a storefront business or approval for a home based business from the local government agencies, i.e., all the items Xringshooter listed above the Federal Firearms License. You must get or show that you can get all of those before you will be granted the Federal Firearms License.

At least, this is how I interpreted Xringshooter’s post. Hopefully it is a correct interpretation.
    Last edited by JCWohlschlag; July 15th, 2009 at 03:42 PM.

(Centre County)

That is a correct interpretation. I'll go over it again to see if I can make it easier to read and understand.

In some cases it's almost a Catch-22, you have to have A to get B, but you can't get A unless you have B. The BATFE, basically wants to know that everyone else (locals, state, etc.) says it's ok to have the business where you say you are going to have it. If the locals won't issue the paperwork before hand, many will issue some kind of statement for the BATFE saying it will be a go if you are granted the FFL.

Also, remember, the question was basically "What do I need to go into the gun business?", and you need an FFL to do that.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; July 15th, 2009 at 05:22 PM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast