Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Angry Rem. 1100 won't cycle target loads

I bought a Rem. 1100 3" used (2 shots ever fired from it) and really enjoy shooting it. I have absolutely no problem firing anything other than a target load. I've tried different brands of ammo, cleaning the piss out of the thing multiple times), lightly lubricating, and replacing the o-ring. What the hell am I missing?!? Any help would be appreciated.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Rem. 1100 won't cycle target loads

Its nature of the beast..

The 1100 is gas operated. That means it needs sufficient pressure to cycle the gun. Target loads are rather low pressure and do cause problems in some semi-autos. If I remember correctly, the gas port hole(plural, I think there are two) are larger on the trap model 1100's and 11-87's than the hunting load guns. You could open them up a bit, but if you use a hunting load you will likely damage the gun. And since that is a 3" chambered gun, its very likely it isn't config'd for the powderpuff target loads(since you really dont use 3" mags for target).

options:
    a. open the port(s) up with a drill bit thus reserving the gun for target loads
    b. use a hotter load for target shooting

Late model semi's of other makes now use an adjustable gas block because of this issue.

(Allegheny County)

I have a pretty old 1100 that I had this happen too. My solution differs from the above and might be slighly more technical. So If you can follow along:

1 - Clean her up again.

2 - Lube the piss out of the internals.

Mine works like a beaute now.

(Delaware County)

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like I just have to buy another shotgun to do clay shooting. My wife's gonna love that!

(York County)

I have an 1100 also and have had similar problems before. Is the 3" a magnum barrel? If so, it will (in my experience) not cycle the gun. Like other people said above, shoot hotter loads. It took me awhile to tweak and get my reloads correct, but after I did mine shoots like a gem and hardly kicks at all…almost like shooting a .410.
    Guns only have two enemies: rust and politicians.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by mredder351 View Post
    I bought a Rem. 1100 3"
    I have an 11-87 and it will cycle target loads for months!! I have only had one load that’s too weak to eject, and that is Winchesters low recoil AAs. That is so light that it will Fail. Now my suggestion is, get a Target barrel. I have a 30” trap barrel and a 26” barrel for Skeet. Both are labeled Target Barrels and both are chambered in 2 ¾ and accept choke tubes. The 30” Target is commonly distinguished as a trap barrel as it has a little tab on the ejection port to kick the shells downward. The 3” chambered barrel IS probably ported to handle those larger loads and using a different barrel will solve your problem. If the gun fits, that’s 90% of the problem. Far be it from me to deny a new purchase, there are a lot of nice Kriegoffs and Perazzi out there waiting for a new homes. But if you want to become better at breaking targets, spend the $150 on a new barrel and the other $12000 on shells.

JD

(Delaware County)

The only suggestion I have is, WallMart sells Federal target\field loads that have a fair amount of recoil, they may work and they are cheap to buy.
    3dram, 1 1\8 oz. laods. Other than that, I agree with buying a "target barrel" for your gun.
    I just bought an 1187 which is a target gun, and it cycles the really light stuff.
    But a new gun is also fun! I know what you mean, my wife said "another shotgun? What for?"
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Warren County)

i dont know if this will help or not but, i have a sportsman 58 whichwhich the 1100 replaced and on the end of the forearm there is a small selector to choose high or low pressure loads, i dont know if the 1100 has this or not, but if it does, maybe thats where the problem lies
    Last edited by palogger; September 22nd, 2009 at 09:43 PM.