Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Rem M24 SWS Questions

I'm looking at Remington Police / Military styled rifles and was wondering, what gives the M24 SWS a MSRP of $ 4,363.00 and all others PS, LTR, & R5 a MSRP of approximately $ 1,000.00???

I understand that the M24 has an upgraded stock, steal floor plate, and goes thru an extensive Quality Control process, but what gives. For that amount of cash, someone could build the ultimate long range rifle and have money left over.

Basically what I'm looking for is this:

.308 cal
    22 - 24" BBL
    Detachable Mag ?
    HS Precision Stock, Palm Swell, Etc...

And all this for around +/- $ 1,000.00

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Rem M24 SWS Questions

For all practical purposes, the difference between a $4000 precision rifle and a $1000 precision rifle is about 1/2 MOA. Can you or I or most people take advantage of something that minimal? IMO, no. There are many other variables that will *wash out* 1/2 MOA *in the field*.

For its price point, the Remington PSS is still the best deal on the planet.

Detachable mags can be problematic. Remington used to offer such a version and they dropped it. Some outfits offer conversions and of a few folks I've asked on internet boards who have indicated they had theirs converted, all seemed to state that they functioned without problems but then again it was just internet chatter so take that FWIW.

If you want the detachable mag option I'd suggest an HS Precision. It's a factory offering and any issues should be covered by a warranty. It's not a $1000 rifle but about twice that.

If you are looking to dump $4,000+ on a custom rifle...I would recommend GAP. Remington can ask whatever they want from the government because they have a huge budget, so cost is not a factor.

I had a PSS before Remington changed it to the 700P. I now own a 5R and can say I like the lighter contour on the 5R over the 700P. I also have the latest green webbed HS stock on my 5R.

If you have the funds...by all means go with GAP, but if you have under 1k for a rifle...I'd recommend the following

DPMS LR 308 Panther if you want an accurate semi

5R...Tanners has a few of them

VS...same as PSS...just different stock and cheaper.

Savage 10FP...great shooters...especially now with the accutrigger and you can get a McMillan stock.

Tikka T3 or Varmint model...the best action from an out of the box rifle.

Winchester Stealth I & II if you can find them.

Thanks for the replies,

TonyF, your right about dollars vs. accuracy - I doubt that I could realize the M24 full potential. I would be better served with a PSS type rifle and take the remaining dollars and outfit the rifle accordingly, scope, trigger job, etc...

I have had the Remington PSS in the past and really had no issues; in fact the rifle was a shooter.

I’m just in the market for something a little different and I think that the R5 will fit the bill.

aubie515, nice R5 by the way, that is what I'm looking for.

Now let the project begin, this is the fun part - project planning!

By the way, what is a " GAP " type of rifle or manufacture?

Thanks

(Delaware County)

Aren't all the real M24s hand built by military armories? I imagine that the reason most commerically available M24s are expensive is because the maker has gone out of their way to make a convincing replica.

(Allegheny County)

I beleave that the M24 SWS is more or less a 'factory custom' made by remington.

You may be thinking of the M40, which is built by marine armories.

From my observation, equipment that is military issue, but still available to civilians, is normally priced very high for civvies.

Youll get alot more bang for your buck by going with a custom rifle build from GAP or comparable shops.

IMHO it seems like the Remington PSS is the best value for a 'tactical' rifle nowadays. Accuracy with factory guns is hit or miss, but they are perfect bases for long-term builds.

Also check out the Sniper County PX website.. they offer a reduced SWS that has a real m24, but skimps out on other items that you may not care about.. they also have packages with the R5 'Mil-spec' remington.