Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Its so obvious, no one would think!

I remember a while back, some one came up with the idea of a safe in an electrical outlet, it seems so obvious to every one to see an electrical outlet, no one would think of "looking" at one twice. Much less looking "in" one. Many times the things we look at every day, become so obvious to us, we forget to look at them twice.

If looking for a gun in a house, you would look where? A safe would be a good place, under the mattress, maybe under the bed? How about right in plain sight? Im not talking about on top of the dresser plain sight, but https://www.plainsights.com/ inside a concealed pair of jeans where all other jeans and shirts might be hanging. Its so obvious you would find a pair of jeans in a closet, no one thinks about it twice!
    Oddly enough, this would be very easy to do, I cant see why any one would "buy" one seeing it is easely made right at home if you have thread and a needle. Just remember to not have the thread show from the outside as that would be a giveaway, but an old pair of jeans that maybe dont fit, could be your next in home concealed place!
    Talk about a trojan horse! You could have this in your car, and no one would question you having a pair of jeans and a shirt hanging in the back seat!
    Add this to the old book carved out to hide your gun list
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Berks County)

Default Re: Its so obvious, no one would think!

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Im not talking about on top of the dresser plain sight, but https://www.plainsights.com/ inside a concealed pair of jeans where all other jeans and shirts might be hanging. Its so obvious you would find a pair of jeans in a closet, no one thinks about it twice!
    Definitely brings new meaning to the phrase "Is that a gun in your pants or are you just glad to see me?"
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

Dang, why do I have to live on post. Fricking brilliant idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    Sgt....Do NOT piss off the wife, do NOT piss off the wife!
    Army Strong

These are my opinions, my opinions only. If you are offended, please, please, call Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, I would like the notoriety.

(Philadelphia County)

now THAT is a brilliant idea! Good post Frenchy.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Not too bad but there are also alternatives like Wall Clocks that flip open with a hidden compartment. In fact, you could even make your own hidden compartment... In your dresser, you could always put a 'false shelf' under the top of it, inside and above the top drawer.. with a 2" opening... just reach in and put it up there, out of the way.

All sorts of cool ideas out there.

The only downside to that I can see is if you are a victim of a burglary while you are gone, that gun is definately going to be taken. All the BGs have to do is start throwing your clothes around and hear a nice CLUNK.

(Delaware County)

I think Sportman's Guide sells both an electical outlet safe and the clock with secret compartment. They used to have them anyway.

(Luzerne County)

I have often thought of ideas similar to this, as you are right, the best place to hide things IMO is in plain sight. The problem that comes to mind is the justice system. If you have a secure safe you can prove that you used reasonable care in securing your firearm in a device approved by the DOJ or CADOJ which has the most strict (although stupid) standards. If you hid the weapon in a pair of pants or whereve and it gets stolen, half of your legal defense goes out the window. I have always had a rule, even in my apartments, I have a gun safe heavy enough that if someone is willing to steal it, they can have it lol. I can replace the gun, or if its used in a crime, I can prove I used reasonable care, but without a good safe I think I would be putting myself in great legal risk.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    I think Sportman's Guide sells both an electical outlet safe and the clock with secret compartment. They used to have them anyway.
    They still have them, atleast the clock. They also sell portrait frames with a hidden compartment

(Montgomery County)

problem is...since these devices are obviously advertised, they are known by the smarter breed of criminal.

get yourself a good locking safe if you can.
    criminals generally dont want to stay around long, so a decent safe or strong lockbox can make the difference on a quick smash and grab type breakin.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Of course, kids in the house require due diligence; and every gun owner should have a safe. I have to imagine that what's being discussed, here, is mostly about home invasion.

Personally, I've never found anything better than a cheap fabric holster that can be glued, screwed, or velcroed underneath a tabletop, and intended for use during those times when you are at home.

According to what I've read, the average house break-in lasts less than 10 minutes; and, the three rooms that crooks always give a good going over are (1) master bedroom w/closet, (2) main bathroom, and (3) laundry room.

(I don't know, 'Why'?)

Home invasion? Who knows! The world keeps getting crazier and crazier. When I was young nobody would have worried about something like this; today, however, a home invasion must be considered as a real possibility.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast