Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Test your law knowledge

Simple 10 question test you can find most of the answers here in the threads, http://crime.about.com/library/blgunquiz_pa.htm
    All laws are PA. based. See how you score. I got a 10!

Try the test before reading others reactions to it, there are laws that are not easely found!
    Last edited by Frenchy; November 20th, 2006 at 05:43 PM.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Test you law kowledge

ha! they actually have a wrong answer for one of the questions. actually, they prolly just worded the question poorly.

the question is:

"Is it mandatory that locking devices be sold with guns?"

they claim the answer is "yes", but really it is "no". so, they claim i got 9 out of 10, but really i got 10 out of 10 and they got 9 ouit of 10. hehe.

(it is mandatory that locking devices be *offered* for sale with guns. it is not mandatory that a locking device actually be sold with a gun. they should reword the question to "Is it mandatory that locking devices be offered for sale or otherwise made available with the sale of guns?")

i have never purchased a locking device with any of my guns (though todd at gunrunnersofpa was nice enough to *give* me one with a gun i purchased through him). neither i nor the FFLs who sold me those guns without also selling me a locking device broke any laws.

nit picking, perhaps, but that's how misinformation starts.

9 out of 10 .well I'm still "new" to the state, I'm sure I'll do better next time...
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    ha! they actually have a wrong answer for one of the questions. actually, they prolly just worded the question poorly.

the question is:

they claim the answer is "yes", but really it is "no". so, they claim i got 9 out of 10, but really i got 10 out of 10 and they got 9 ouit of 10. hehe.

(it is mandatory that locking devices be *offered* for sale with guns. it is not mandatory that a locking device actually be sold with a gun. they should reword the question to "Is it mandatory that locking devices be offered for sale or otherwise made available with the sale of guns?")

i have never purchased a locking device with any of my guns (though todd at gunrunnersofpa was nice enough to *give* me one with a gun i purchased through him). neither i nor the FFLs who sold me those guns without also selling me a locking device broke any laws.

Actually, I found out it is law, Unless you come in with your own lock. At one point, I showed it to Tex at the gun club because we suspected that might be some thing the BATF was "concerned" about.
    http://www.lcav.org/states/pennsylva...LockingDevices
    A licensed dealer may not transfer a firearm unless he or she provides the transferee with a locking device, the transferee purchases a locking device, or the design of the firearm incorporates a locking device. 18 Pa. Cons. Stat. Ann. § 6142. This section does not apply to firearms transfers to law enforcement or licensed dealers. Id.
    http://www.foac-pac.org/laws/Sect6142.html
    Title 18

SUBCHAPTER B FIREARMS GENERALLY

§6142. Locking Device for Firearms.
    (a) Offense defined.-It shall be unlawful for any licensee to sell, deliver or transfer any firearm as defined in section 6102 (relating to definitions), other than an antique firearm as de­fined in section 6118 (relating to antique firearms), to any other person, other than another li­censee, unless the transferee is provided with or purchases a locking device for that firearm or the design of the firearm incorporates a locking device.
    (b) Exceptions.-Firearms for transfer to or possession by any law enforcement officer employed by any Federal, State or local government entity or rail police employed and certi­fied by a rail carrier as a police officer are not subject to the provisions of this section.
    (c) Penalties.-A violation of the provisions of this section shall be a summary offense.
    (d) Good faith compliance.-A licensee who in good faith complies with this section shall not be civilly liable as a result of such compliance with this section, except for any acts or omissions intentionally designed to harm or for grossly negligent acts or omissions which result in harm.
    (e) A transferee's purchase or receipt of a locking device in conjunction with the purchase of a firearm pursuant to this section shall not be admissible as evidence in any civil action brought against the transferee.
    (f) Definitions.-As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
    "Licensee." Any licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer of firearms. "Locking device." Either of the following:
    (1) a device that, when installed on a firearm, is designed to prevent the firearm from being operated without first deactivating the device; or
    (2) a device that is incorporated into the design of a firearm and that is designed to pre­vent the operation of the firearm by anyone not having access to the device.
    (Added by L 1999, Act 59(8), eff. 2/13/2000.)

Here it is from the PSP website http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/cwp/v...p?A=4&Q=173211
    PSP Firearms Division - Reports, Information and Safety Brochures

Locking Devices for Firearms

Act 59 of 1999, Revision to 18 PA C.S. § 6142

(a) It shall be unlawful for any licensee to sell, deliver or transfer any firearm as defined in section 6102 (relating to definitions), other than an antique firearm as defined in section 6118 (relating to antique firearms), to any other person, other than another licensee, unless the transferee is provided with or purchases a locking device for that firearm or the design of the firearm incorporates a locking device.

(b) Exceptions: Firearms for transfer to or possession by any law enforcement officer employed by any Federal, State or local government entity or rail police employed and certified by a rail carrier as a police officer are not subject to the provisions of this section.

(c) Penalties: A violation of the provisions of this section shall be a summary offense.

(d) Good faith compliance: A licensee who in good faith complies with this section shall not be civilly liable as a result of such compliance with this section, except for any acts or omissions intentionally designed to harm or for grossly negligent acts or omissions which result in harm.

(e) A transferee's purchase or receipt of a locking device in conjunction with the purchase of a firearm pursuant to this section shall not be admissible as evidence in any civil action brought against the transferee.

(f) Definitions: As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

"Licensee." Any licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer of firearms.

"Locking device." Either of the following:

1. A device that, when installed on a firearm, is designed to prevent the firearm from being operated without first deactivating the device; or

2. A device that is incorporated into the design of a firearm and that is designed to prevent the operation of the firearm by anyone not having access to the device.

("Firearm" as defined in section 6102. Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.)

Thank you www.webcrawler.com for the beautiful search capacities. I just knew I read it some place...
    Last edited by Frenchy; November 20th, 2006 at 04:56 PM.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood

(Allegheny County)

holy crap...you're right.

wow...there are *a lot* of FFLs out there violating this (arsinine) law.

(Berks County)

the question is:

That makes two of us LRT! Those schmoes just don't know how to phrase things properly...
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

holy crap...you're right.

wow...there are *a lot* of FFLs out there violating this (arsinine) law.
    ROFL yes there are, only place I bought a gun that said this to me was R&D I think it’s called. All the other places let you walk out with your gun as long as it’s covered.
    Some one said it was nice when I showed proof of what I said. Believe me, when GPGC was shut down, I did a lot of searching to see what could of gone wrong. I even searched the web site for trouble. Like was it legal to have the page called "gun Locker" where we offered guns and non-guns for sale...
    Only time will tell what happened there, but it could be some thing as stupid as that by the looks of it.
    Until then, I was totally innocent on this law, as well as other things. Amazing what you learn when you actually look around.

That’s why I love these posts, they prove a challenge in learning things. Many times we read things in these threads we would not have expected to learn otherwise.

An open mind is like a sponge, you learn some thing new every day!

Last edited by Frenchy; November 20th, 2006 at 05:13 PM.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Clint Eastwood

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Test your law knowledge

man, i sure hope that is not what the whole thing at GPGC is all about.

whatever the laws says, to ruin someone's life and destroy their business over something like not selling trigger locks with guns is just plain wrong.

i'm an atheist, but sometimes i hope i'm wrong about that because there are some people who deserve to spend eternity burning in hades...anyone who would ruin a man's life over something like that fits into that category.

i can only hope that someday, somehow people like that...as well as those who confiscated guns in new orleans after katrina...will get what's coming to them. our "justice" system will certainly never deliver it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Until then, I was totally innocent on this law, as well as other things. Amazing what you learn when you actually look around.

That’s why I love these posts, they prove a challenge in learning things. Many times we read things in these threads we would not have expected to learn otherwise.

An open mind is like a sponge, you learn some thing new every day!
    i agree. i generally do go look up the actual laws on stuff like this.

i have to admit, though, that, with this one, i did not. an FFL told me they did not have to actually provide locks...just have them available. i believed him...the alternative meant that practically every FFL i have ever dealt with was breaking the law which just plain did not seem plausible.

lesson re-learned. always go look up the actual text of the law.

(Union County)

Default Re: Test your law knowledge

Frenchy got 9 out 10 according the test.

But, I 10 out 10 right. You don't have to purchase a locking device when buying a used firearm, you only have to bring a locking to the gun shop to meet the legal requirements.

grizz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast