Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Harrassment for using a CCW

I have a question for you all.

Recently several people have been hassling me about my CCW and claiming that it does not give me the right to carry a loaded handgun in my vehicle. These same losers have been giving me crap about this for a long time and I am sick of it.

Now they are threatening to go to the Police to have them hassle me with the hope that I will be in big trouble and will lose all of my firearms.

What does the law say about what they are doing? Is there anything I can do to put a permanent stop to this crap?

BTW; I found you guys while doing a Google search looking for answers to this subject.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Harassment for using a CCW

Tell us more.

Where are you when they are saying this? Home, work, etc.

Do you have a carry permit?

Is it loaded?

How did they find out?

If you don't have a permit you can only carry in you car unloaded TO AND FROM the range.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Harrassment for using a CCW

Yes I have a valid CCW.

I live in Berks County.

Yes the gun is loaded.

They found out about it because someone wanted to cause me trouble and told these guys (they are the preachers at the church I have been a part of for a few years. That is going to end ) and they have been harrassing me off and on ever since. Their only concern is that they think I should not have the handgun loaded. (then why have a CCW )

I think that my Inlaws also griped to them. Claimed that I brought a gun to a family fight once. (charge happens to be BS; that would not be a good thing to do) I got into a knock-down-drag-out fight with the inlaws one time over something stupid they had done and afterward they tried to say that I had my handgun under my shirt when I was there. In fact I had purposely left the gun behind when I went to confront them. I did not want anything crazy to come of it. Just wanted to speak my mind.

As to where I am when they are saying this. Anywhere and everywhere that it is legal to carry in PA.

CCW Applies to Vehicle and Automobile carry as well. You're 100% legal. Let them call the police, then when the police laugh in their face threaten to sue them for slander and defamation and invasion of privacy. Take it to em!

Edited to ADD:
    Just make SURE that nothing you do can be misconstrued as a threat or brandishing. If you leave your firearm in the vehicle or take it to/from the vehicle without it being holstered and concealed, put it in a holster in a bag or something else noone can see through. Leave it holstered in the vehicle. Never remove a firearm from a holster unless you are inside your own home, or it can be misconstrued as brandishing. You're 100% legal, but play it smart.
    Last edited by MiniDevil; November 19th, 2006 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Adding

(Philadelphia County)

With an LTCF it is perfectly legal to carry a handgun loaded, on your person while in a car in Pennsylvania.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MiniDevil View Post
    CCW Applies to Vehicle and Automobile carry as well. You're 100% legal. Let them call the police, then when the police laugh in their face threaten to sue them for slander and defamation and invasion of privacy. Take it to em!

Edited to ADD:
    Just make SURE that nothing you do can be misconstrued as a threat or brandishing. If you leave your firearm in the vehicle or take it to/from the vehicle without it being holstered and concealed, put it in a holster in a bag or something else noone can see through. Leave it holstered in the vehicle. Never remove a firearm from a holster unless you are inside your own home, or it can be misconstrued as brandishing. You're 100% legal, but play it smart.

EXACTLY how I play it. I will NEVER have a weapon on my person if I have no reason to believe that a situation could turn dnagerous and I do not put myself in a potentially dangerous situation unless it is unavoidable.

So let's say they go to the police and say that I was brandishing the weapon and then are unable to prove it; I can take these idiots to the cleaners?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    With an LTCF it is perfectly legal to carry a handgun loaded, on your person while in a car in Pennsylvania.
    Can you provide me a link that shows the law concerning that? I need to be able to stick something in these guys faces and then tell them to buzz off or else............

Just ignore the situation. Dont make it any bigger. If they are that interested in making it a problem, have them call the cops and look like the complete idiots they are.

(Allegheny County)

Ben Hogan,

The Pa LTCF (license to carry firearms) lets you carry concealed or loaded in your vehicle.

In Pa ,you can legally carry openly(although most on this board would advise against).
    You can argue with anyone and have a loaded firearm either concealed or openly carried.
    If you have no one who can testify that you didn't draw the weapon during your arguement, it would probably be wise to not argue and go away without saying a word regardless of how much you want to.
    If no one can vouch for you that you didn't remove the gun from it's holster and the outlaws call the law and say that you did, you could have a problem.

If you argue and they know you are carrying, I would call the police IMMEDIATELY AFTER, explain what happened, tell them you did NOT pull the gun but you feel they may lie and say you did. Be the first to call them.

All this info is not legal advice as I am not a lawyer.

In your situation, if these confrontations are ongoing, I would bite the bullet and pay a lawyer for an hour of his time to advise you. It could be cheaper in the long run than trying to defend yourself against unwarranted charges.

Personally, I would not argue at all but disengage from the situation before you get yourself in that position.

27hand

I know this thread is about handguns but understand it is against the law to have a loaded longarm in your vehicle. Essentially your longarm AND ammo must be in seperate closed containers.

Ben, do a search in these threads regarding any info you need on concealed or open carrying.
    Some members on this board are very familiar with gun law. Wait a bit and you may well get your answers from those that know.
    Last edited by 27hand; November 19th, 2006 at 07:31 PM.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hogan View Post
    Can you provide me a link that shows the law concerning that? I need to be able to stick something in these guys faces and then tell them to buzz off or else............
    http://members.aol.com/StatutesP7/18PA6106.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes, TITLE 18 § 6106.
    (a) Offense defined.--Any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:
    11. Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast