Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default all you's xbox360 owners

hey got a question for you.

I'm lookking at the 20 gig hd for my 360. I understand it only has 13.7 gigs usable surface. Now, question is, could i hook up a usb harddrive for a computer to this using the usb connections on the front of the unit which was i guess designed to charge the controllers?
    "Do not use K-9 advantix on cats"

Default Re: all you's xbox360 owners

Yes, it will recognize the HDD, but I do not know if you would use it to store demos, game add ons, etc. I just haven't tried to store Xbox stuff on it, so I don't know. There is a USB port in the back right above the Ethernet port, I would use that rather than take one of your "charging" USB plugs. I have a 500GB drive plugged into my 360 all the time which I use to watch movies and TV shows I have on the drive. Legally obtained of course.

~ Derek
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9206&dateline=1225911  268

(Lawrence County)

do me a favor then... try to store a game on the drive... see if that works.... then get back to me.. because that would be the ONLY reason i'd buy one of these detatchable hd's.
    "Do not use K-9 advantix on cats"

I'll give it a shot after work today.

ETA: I did a quick google search and all the answers I'm seeing are "I don't know" or "No". I'm still going to give it a shot.

~ Derek
    Last edited by Derek; July 26th, 2009 at 10:40 AM.

(Berks County)

Please Note: The poster was issued a warning for this post.

Content in violation of forum rules removed. ~Staff
    Last edited by gnbrotz; July 26th, 2009 at 11:38 AM.

(York County)

/\ and if your system is still under warranty it will void the warranty which you probably will need. Mine is on it's way back from Texas after having the E74 error fixed. Luckily I was covered under the extended 3 year warranty and only had to pay for the box to ship it in. I had my xbox for a year and one month and took very good care of it and it still died. I would rather shell out the extra dough to get an actual xbox hard drive, than to have to pay Microsoft money to fix the system when and if it does break.
    Xbox Live Gamertag: My Tango Sucka

(Adams County)

you can't store games, demos, or game information on a non-xbox portable usb device. You can access your pictures, mp3's and videos from the usb drive, but that's it.

Also, you *can* find out how to swap out your HDD cheaply, but you'll void your warranty if you use non-microsoft external hard drives.

Spend the money and buy a 60 or a 120 gig MS drive, it's the only legal & safest option. They'll find out if you did it like you find in a youtube video, and then ban your live account and block your box from connecting. Don't buy a used HDD bigger than 20gigs either, because someone else may have done it and you'll be porked if caught.

The inability to upgrade your own HDD (like you can with the PS3) is the ONLY thing about the 360 I don't like.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

Quote Originally Posted by camper View Post
    you can't store games, demos, or game information on a non-xbox portable usb device. You can access your pictures, mp3's and videos from the usb drive, but that's it.

The inability to upgrade your own HDD (like you can with the PS3) is the ONLY thing about the 360 I don't like.

camper
    I figured that was the case.

The other issue I have with the 360 is the lack of compatability with audio/video codecs.

The PS3 is much more "computer like", which now-a-days is awesome, my buddy just dropped a 320GB HDD in his PS3 for well under $100! With the release of another generation of simulation racing games this fall (GT5 and Forza 3) I might be ditching the 360 for a PS3 as Forza doesn't look like it's going to be able to compete with the monster that is going to be GT5.

~ Derek

(Chester County)

I have a HDD hooked up through my usb ports in the front, I use it for storing my .avi files to watch on my XBOX360. You can not store any game related material in said drive however. It is a read only thing, it can not write to the drive. Trust me I tried, so I got sick of trying and just picked myself up a 120GB xbox drive.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    I figured that was the case.

The other issue I have with the 360 is the lack of compatability with audio/video codecs.

The PS3 is much more "computer like", which now-a-days is awesome, my buddy just dropped a 320GB HDD in his PS3 for well under $100! With the release of another generation of simulation racing games this fall (GT5 and Forza 3) I might be ditching the 360 for a PS3 as Forza doesn't look like it's going to be able to compete with the monster that is going to be GT5.

~ Derek
    Yeah, there's that too I downloaded some music from the Zune marketplace for my Zune, and I can't play the .wmv files. WTF??? It's a MS media file on a MS product. Yeah, I can convert them to MP3, but that's not the point.

I do like how the PS3 seems to play more variety, but even their 'media center' type interface is flawed. THe best way on both counts is to simply copy the data onto the device, but with the 360's 120 gig limit that's easier said then done.

THe other option rather than dumping the 360, is to get a PS3 and have both That's what I did, but I use the PS3 for the rare PS3 exclusive I want and mostly for Blu Rays.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast