Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Ok! So I'm cheap.

I'm on a budget and try to save money where I can. I just picked up some .223 brass at the range as I've started to reload recently. Some pieces were heavily tarnished even after being tumbled. Can I still reload these or is there some inherent danger in using them?

(York County)

Default Re: Ok! So I'm cheap.

I'd err on the side of safety, and throw 'em in the scrap pile. It's cheaper to do that than have to replace gun or body parts!

(Lancaster County)

I'm cheap too.

I'd look at the primers to try to see if they were already reloaded.
    (typically silver) If so I'd toss those and load the rest.
    My AR can handle it. Heck I shoot steel case thru it.
    Please feel free to visit a forum that I moderate:
    http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fragger View Post
    I'm cheap too.

I'd look at the primers to try to see if they were already reloaded.
    (typically silver) If so I'd toss those and load the rest.
    My AR can handle it. Heck I shoot steel case thru it.
    Why toss them if they have been reloaded? Cases can be reloaded many more times than once. Would a case length check be enough to see if the case should be trimmed be enough?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by sutehk View Post
    I'm on a budget and try to save money where I can. I just picked up some .223 brass at the range as I've started to reload recently. Some pieces were heavily tarnished even after being tumbled. Can I still reload these or is there some inherent danger in using them?
    Look the case over for any cracks or dings around the mouth. I have used "brown" cases and they work just fine. Just make sure they are clean.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Centre County)

Just because they are tarnished doesn't mean they are no good. Check them over, look for cracks around the case mouth, deprime them (if the primer comes out very, very easily, then discard as this means the primer pocket is enlarged). Check the length and trim if needed. If everything checks ok then there's not reason to get rid of them.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lancaster County)

Smile Re: Ok! So I'm cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    Why toss them if they have been reloaded? Cases can be reloaded many more times than once. Would a case length check be enough to see if the case should be trimmed be enough?
    The reason being you wouldn't know how many times they have been resized. Chances are since the round is used mostly in a semi auto they would have been full length sized to offset the feeding issue that could be present.

When a case is FL sized it stretches. The loader trims it and all is well.

Well when it stretches that material comes from somewhere .... right?

Typically near the base is where the case will thin out to the point of possible seperation. Thats worse case (no pun intended)

Usually guys myself included will take virgin brass and track the number of loadings. Over time you'll get a feel for what different brands of cases will take. Then toss before any case failure.
    Last edited by Fragger; January 11th, 2009 at 12:29 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

The reason being you wouldn't know how many times they have been resized. Chances are since the round is used mostly in a semi auto they would have been full length sized to offset the feeding issue that could be present.

When a case is FL sized it stretches. The loader trims it and all is well.

Well when it stretches that material comes from somewhere .... right?

Typically near the base is where the case will thin out to the point of possible seperation. Thats worse case (no pun intended)

Usually guys myself included will take virgin brass and track the number of loadings. Over time you'll get a feel for what different brands of cases will take. Then toss before any case failure.
    Good Points! How many times can 5.56x45 & 7.62X51 be reloaded (w/ full length resizing)? I understand that it will vary from one brand of brass to another, but what is a typical number? Also, if the case separates/ruptures, this would not typically result in catastrophic damage to the weapon & injury to the shooter would it? If the case would rupture the rifle chamber would contain the pressure. Granted, there would be a failure to feed & you would have to get out a broken case extractor, but no real danger - or am I missing something?

(Lancaster County)

I think everyone has their own habits and sense for being safe. There is no clear cut answer on how many times a case can be reloaded before case head seperation. As we both know we want to discard well before that. As you pointed out having an extractor on hand and some down time one would hope would be the apex of the event.

I like to judge the amount of trim material that must be removed from the case after resizing. Keeping a log book is critical I feel. Still keep in mind that brass will work harden to some degree. All metals do. Removing a couple of thou vs removing .010 is a big difference.
    I'll get more life from straight wall handgun cases which is no surprise I guess.
    If I'm loading for 7.62X39 I'll discard after only 3 reloads. I've pushed that envelope too many times and care not to do it again.
    In the '06 I load for the bolt action only. I'll buy surplus M2 Ball for the Garands. So loading for the bolt action '06 I'll only neck size and I can load those cases many times. The .308 or 7.62X51 I use in semi autos only. Because of fluted chambers in those guns I can only load 2-3 times. Those guns really do a number on the brass when they are fired. I guess my point is there is no clear cut answer to how many times you can reload a case.
    Basically YMMV with caliber, brand chamber size load habbits and min vs max loadings.
    Last edited by Fragger; January 11th, 2009 at 09:54 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

I think everyone has their own habits and sense for being safe. There is no clear cut answer on how many times a case can be reloaded before case head seperation. As we both know we want to discard well before that. As you pointed out having an extractor on hand and some down time one would hope would be the apex of the event.

I like to judge the amount of trim material that must be removed from the case after resizing. Keeping a log book is critical I feel. Still keep in mind that brass will work harden to some degree. All metals do. Removing a couple of thou vs removing .010 is a big difference.
    I'll get more life from straight wall handgun cases which is no surprise I guess.
    If I'm loading for 7.62X39 I'll discard after only 3 reloads. I've pushed that envelope too many times and care not to do it again.
    In the '06 I load for the bolt action only. I'll buy surplus M2 Ball for the Garands. So loading for the bolt action '06 I'll only neck size and I can load those cases many times. The .308 or 7.62X51 I use in semi autos only. Because of fluted chambers in those guns I can only load 2-3 times. Those guns really do a number on the brass when they are fired. I guess my point is there is no clear cut answer to how many times you can reload a case.
    Basically YMMV with caliber, brand chamber size load habbits and min vs max loadings.
    Good Discussion - Thanks for Sharing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast