Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default gun cleaning, ventilation, and solvents

So cleaning guns was never an issue for me, I grew up loving the smell of Hoppes #9.

However anymore I get a killer headache after a cleaning session, and it does not seem to matter what solvent I use.

My cleaning area is in my basement. I have air flow going on while I am cleaning, this basically consists of an oscillating fan blowing air away from me and towards a walk out basement door, but it does not appear to be enough as afterwards the smell of solvent just seems to permeate through the house.

It is rather odd, because when I was younger (I am 43), I was never really bothered by solvents.

Cleaning outside really is not a solution as I would be looking at doing twice the amount of work to get set up for a cleaning session..

Anyone have any suggestions? Different solvents to try? Maybe a respiratory while I am cleaning?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: gun cleaning, ventilation, and solvents

Not sure if it's less aromatic but I use Zippo lighter fluid for cleaning, just follow up with a bit of oil.

(Montgomery County)

Try wearing gloves. Solvents will also pass through your skin into your bloodstream and cause problems for your liver, kidneys or both. The fumes are important to avoid, the absorption through your skin is critical to avoid.

A box of nitrile gloves at walmart will cost maybe 10 bucks for 50 pair.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Cumberland County)

ditto on the nitrile gloves,wait until you see what cleaning solvents do to them. i started using good ole paint thinner for general cleaning, cheaper, i believe less toxic, reuseable if you let the gunk settle out. still use a good gun solvent for bore cleaning though. overall ventilation is the key. i would work on improving that right away. it is like most things chemical you can develop a sensitivity to what your exposed to over time. i have seen this happen numerous time to guys using epoxy resins in the flooring industry(installers) adhesives, grouts ect.

(Allegheny County)

Exclamation Re: gun cleaning, ventilation, and solvents

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Try wearing gloves. Solvents will also pass through your skin into your bloodstream and cause problems for your liver, kidneys or both. The fumes are important to avoid, the absorption through your skin is critical to avoid.

A box of nitrile gloves at walmart will cost maybe 10 bucks for 50 pair.
    Great advice, because I really screwed up my right thumb in my early 30's due to solvents - I wish I'd worn gloves back then.

(Northampton County)

Couple of ideas: Obviously, nitrile gloves, saves the hands, and you don't have to smell the hoppes coming out of your skin for hours afterward. Personally, I make a trip to Harbor Freight a couple of times a year, and pick up several boxes of their nitril gloves, which are about 7 bucks for a box of 100. They REALLY save your hands. Use them for cleaning, working on the car, etc.

Second, if you are sensitive to the smell of the solvents, you may want to make a hooded cleaning area, with an exhaust fan to outside. Obviously handguns would require a smallish box, but rifles would be bigger. Think of a hobby paint booth kind of thing.

(Link to some examples, not an endorsement, just from a google search

http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/booth.aspx

The main point is to keep the fumes from getting to you, and exhaust them outside. The little paint booths could be built from a table with cardboard or plywood and a cheap bathroom exhaust fan, and would at least pull air from behind you, minimizing the fumes you get exposed to.

-Darryl

(Somerset County)

Have you tried one of the foaming cleaners? Squirt it in, let it sit for half hour or so, push it out with some dry patches. Some odor but your exposure is minimized.

I've seen where some folks put a pop bottle on the end of the barrel. When using a jag, the dirty patch falls off into the bottle, smell is contained.

Just a couple of suggestions, hope they help.

Dale
    Last edited by dk99358; August 22nd, 2011 at 09:16 PM.

(McKean County)

Thinking outside the solvent box, how about eye strain? You are over 40, around the time it happens for most people - did you get your bifocals yet?
    Marty near God's Country. Making good people defenseless doesn’t make bad people harmless.

(Washington County)

Try Weaponsheild, and clean on the back porch. Problem solved

Looks fairly safe to me: http://www.steelshieldtech.com/mainp...fs/Weapons.pdf

(Cumberland County)

bore tech solvents are your huckleberry. there right here in pa too. http://www.boretech.com/
    Last edited by yukon375; August 23rd, 2011 at 01:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast