Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lawsuits

(Philadelphia County)

Default lawsuits

I find it appalling and disgusting that even though we go through the process of getting gun registrations and carry permits to defend our homes and the people we love, the scum-bag pieces of filth who commit car-jackings , robberis, and home invasions can still sue us for everything we fight so hard to protect after they get shot by the law-abiding citizens that we are, and there are actually lawyers and courtrooms that will entertain these cases and more often than not, they win the cases because we have now "violated their civil rights". Maybe its just me, but it appears that something has got to change, and change quickly.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: lawsuits

i agree, however if they can't talk, they can't sue.Don't read into that im typing without thinking. whoops.
    "Where would man be without his rights, weapons, and beasts." -me

(Philadelphia County)

yes, Glock....I see. But, even if the perps can't talk, their families can.

(Bucks County)

witnesses.what witnesses?
    "Where would man be without his rights, weapons, and beasts." -me

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyDad View Post
    I find it appalling and disgusting that even though we go through the process of getting gun registrations and carry permits to defend our homes and the people we love, the scum-bag pieces of filth who commit car-jackings , robberis, and home invasions can still sue us for everything we fight so hard to protect after they get shot by the law-abiding citizens that we are, and there are actually lawyers and courtrooms that will entertain these cases and more often than not, they win the cases because we have now "violated their civil rights". Maybe its just me, but it appears that something has got to change, and change quickly.
    Supposedly PA does NOT have any gun registrations. Now of course there is that "secrete" database still being kept by the PA State Police but there is no registration.

A few states have passed laws to protect the victims of crime who are forced to defend themselves from law suites by the perpitrator or the family of the criminal POS. We should get the same protections passed in PA.
    Last edited by shermdo; January 5th, 2008 at 02:58 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Maybe its just me, but it appears that something has got to change, and change quickly.
    Currently, there is a bill, HB 641, that would provide civil immunity to those who engage in lawful self-defense. Please contact your legislators in Harrisburg and ask them to support it. It's also discussed in this thread:

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/pennsylva...ur-ground.html

(York County)

I think of this quite frequently..... I have read alot of Mas Ayoobs articles about cases he was involved in where Law abiding citizens shot a suspect during home invasions , robberies or many other situations where when reading the chain of events , to me , sounded like perfectly legal , justified shootings in self defense , yet the home owner was in jail. The cases he was involved in he actually helped the home owners to clear them ... but now there is a saying I heard that is always stuck in my mind. You only have the rights that you can afford. I guess when it comes down to it if I need to shoot an intruder to protect my family I am going to do it and like was said earlier , I de rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6 ..... gees you know there even was a case where the law abiding citizen was carrying extra magazines and the prosecution used that to show they had malicous intent because they had "all" that ammo ...... It wasnt until Mas came in and informed the jury that Police carry 2 extra magazines and surely if the police carry that much then to protect us and themselves , that surely it was a good idea to carry extra ammo to protect ones family and self

Sorry for babbling )
    Last edited by 40twist; January 5th, 2008 at 10:25 AM.

(Chester County)

The cases should be entertained, and in a constitutional republic, where every man's life is worth as much or as little as any other's, such cases must be entertained, or we're nothing more than that which any civilized man loathes. When a man's life is taken, our society demands assurance that the taking was justified and necessary.

To suggest that the word of a man, standing with a smoking gun over a corpse, with a smirk on his face and the words "I shot him in self-defense" in his mouth should prove sufficient is anathema to any society that values law and human life.

You're making the mistake of assuming that everyone is like you (or most of the folks on this board) -- unlikely ever to use deadly force unless it is absolutely necessary. The vast majority of cases where people assert self-defense are horse shit, and nothing close to a justified shooting.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Erie County)

Can we counter-sue the familes for failing to raise a civil human being? Their family member caused us great anquish when we had to paste his ass all over my living room with a 45. Professional cleaning services aren't cheap, and I might need counseling.

I am semi-serious !

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    The cases should be entertained, and in a constitutional republic, where every man's life is worth as much or as little as any other's, such cases must be entertained, or we're nothing more than that which any civilized man loathes. When a man's life is taken, our society demands assurance that the taking was justified and necessary.

To suggest that the word of a man, standing with a smoking gun over a corpse, with a smirk on his face and the words "I shot him in self-defense" in his mouth should prove sufficient is anathema to any society that values law and human life.

You're making the mistake of assuming that everyone is like you (or most of the folks on this board) -- unlikely ever to use deadly force unless it is absolutely necessary. The vast majority of cases where people assert self-defense are horse shit, and nothing close to a justified shooting.

Rule, I do agree with your post, however I believe the point of this thread was about the families who take the matter to civil court. personally, I think if it's a justified shooting they should not be allowed to sue for damages.

And yes, if you shoot someone illegally and get caught your first reaction is "but it was self defense!" and it is completely reasonable to make sure this is the case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast