Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default It's just so much talk

All of this talk about which caliber to choose for the defense weapon is something that will never be resolved so I will add fuel to the fire.

Go read W.D.M Bell's book "WANDERINGS OF AN ELEPHANT HUNTER" page 5 and 6. The man killed 700 or so elephants and stated that he used the .416, .450/400, .360, .350, .318, .275 and .256.

The elephants hit in the right place with the .275 died just as quickly as when hit with the .400. or both barrels of the .450/400. It goes on, but he ends the paragaph by stating that " each hunter should use the weapon he HAS THE MOST CONFIDENCE IN.

Thereafter he used mostly the .256 with solids. Mostly brain shots, but some heart shot. They all died.

9mm, .38, .40, .44, .45 all will do the job if you have confidence in your gun and your shooting and place the shot right. A bad hit with any caliber is still a bad hit.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: It's just so much talk

I agree, but getting shot badly by a .45 would suck a whole lot more than 9mm.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

Quote Originally Posted by autorim View Post
    All of this talk about which caliber to choose for the defense weapon is something that will never be resolved so I will add fuel to the fire.

Go read W.D.M Bell's book "WANDERINGS OF AN ELEPHANT HUNTER" page 5 and 6. The man killed 700 or so elephants and stated that he used the .416, .450/400, .360, .350, .318, .275 and .256.

The elephants hit in the right place with the .275 died just as quickly as when hit with the .400. or both barrels of the .450/400. It goes on, but he ends the paragaph by stating that " each hunter should use the weapon he HAS THE MOST CONFIDENCE IN.

Thereafter he used mostly the .256 with solids. Mostly brain shots, but some heart shot. They all died.

9mm, .38, .40, .44, .45 all will do the job if you have confidence in your gun and your shooting and place the shot right. A bad hit with any caliber is still a bad hit.
    Howdy, partner. your right, I know a dude who shot all kind of games with the 6.5x55 Swedish and swore by its effectiveness. With that said, I might stop over a nearby shop for some BS with them dudes, he he he

1FingrCHan

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GUNRUNNERS OF PA View Post
    I agree, but getting shot badly by a .45 would suck a whole lot more than 9mm.
    And you know this how?
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Bucks County)

I have to agree with GR.
    I witnessed a person shot in the foot with a .44 magnum. Died very quickly due to hydrostatic shock ( or so we were told). Don't think that would have happened with a .32 ACP or 9mm or ?
    Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

I think it is a bit far fetched to expect anyone to die from a gun shot to the foot. I wouldn't count on it. I would aim a bit higher.

I have one friend who shot one on his buddies straight through the torso with a .45 auto hardball - he lived just fine. I have a surgeon friend who operated on a patient who had his liver blown all to hell with a .44 mag. He saved him. Just a little FYI - the liver is the only organ in the body that will regenerate. If a surgeon can save one third of the liver, it will probably grow back to it's original or larger size.

I have another WWII vet friend who was shot through the head with a rifle. Bullet hit him in the jaw, went straight through and blew out molars on both sides. Knocked him out - woke up when the German medics came through. They amputated the toes on both feet because he lay all night on the battlefield in January. He then went to prison camp. He has big scars on both cheeks, but lived to tell me about it.

There again, it ain't what you shoot or get shot with, it's where you shoot or get shot.

As to the shotgun, I had a law enforcement friend who got shot full in the face with a shotgun at about 8 feet. He didn't live through it.

Yeah, it may mean more about the placement of the shot, but if I had my druthers, I would rather shoot someone badly with a .40 than shoot someone well with a .22. Just I don't think i would be that comfortable shooting someone with a .22 and then hanging around.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    Sgt....Do NOT piss off the wife, do NOT piss off the wife!
    Army Strong

These are my opinions, my opinions only. If you are offended, please, please, call Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, I would like the notoriety.

True. As I listed in my original post, I think defensive calibers should start with the 9mm. Had a man working for me once that liked to shoot deer at night with a .22. He did very well with .22 shorts, but I don't recommend it.

(Bucks County)

The fool shot himself trying to quick draw. I was there and he died.
    Not far fetched.
    Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

Talking Re: It's just so much talk

"We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast