Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default a few questions about LTCF

Hey everyone, I'm applying for my LTCF next week in Luzerne county (my "permanent" residence is there), however I live in Philadelphia for school. My employer as well as both my references are in Philly. Do you think this will raise any flags when I go to the sheriff for my permit--as in, I'm a resident of Philly trying to get a Luzerne permit because it's a lot easier/faster? Do I need to tell them my employer (it's just part time retail, nothing serious)--would "student" suffice?

Last thing, my Philadelphia apartment is across the street from a school, I currently don't plan on open carrying in the city (too much potential hassle/hazard, especially in my neighborhood) but I'm not sure how concealed carry laws apply when you live within 1000 feet of a school.

Thanks so much, I'm trying to get this all sorted out to do everything correctly and be a good example of a responsible gun owner.

(Chester County)

Default Re: a few questions about LTCF

First off I think your references need to be non family members that legally reside in the county to which you are applying. Second the school thing should be fine, just stay off of the immeadite campus, you live close not a damn thing you can do about that. As far as carrying I would def go CC philly cops can be uber pricks and they will more than likely try and hit you with the all purpose "disorderly conduct". As far as you employer I live in Chester county my employer is in Lancaster County it was no problem at all.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by AimeeM View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm applying for my LTCF next week in Luzerne county (my "permanent" residence is there), however I live in Philadelphia for school. My employer as well as both my references are in Philly. Do you think this will raise any flags when I go to the sheriff for my permit--as in, I'm a resident of Philly trying to get a Luzerne permit because it's a lot easier/faster? Do I need to tell them my employer (it's just part time retail, nothing serious)--would "student" suffice?

Last thing, my Philadelphia apartment is across the street from a school, I currently don't plan on open carrying in the city (too much potential hassle/hazard, especially in my neighborhood) but I'm not sure how concealed carry laws apply when you live within 1000 feet of a school.

Thanks so much, I'm trying to get this all sorted out to do everything correctly and be a good example of a responsible gun owner.

I ain't positive, but i'm pretty sure that if your permanent address is in Luzerne, and your only a part-time resident of Philly, you should be good to go in Wilkes. A permit is good state-wide, so it doesn;t matter if it's a "Luzerne" county, or a Philly permit, it's all the same. As far as being near a school, I think you're good there too. Somebody will come along with better info., I'm sure. But, in my opinion, I think you're safe all around. Welcome to the forum, and have fun here, I know I do !!!!

Marry you, and ruin it all ? I say let's play in sin. ~Michele
    Do ya like warm oil massages ?~Me
    As long as it's gun oil.~Michele

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by knighthawk06699 View Post
    First off I think your references need to be non family members that legally reside in the county to which you are applying. Second the school thing should be fine, just stay off of the immeadite campus, you live close not a damn thing you can do about that. As far as carrying I would def go CC philly cops can be uber pricks and they will more than likely try and hit you with the all purpose "disorderly conduct". As far as you employer I live in Chester county my employer is in Lancaster County it was no problem at all.
    I think you may be off a bit with the references thing. I don't think they need to live in the same county as the applicant. All the times I've applied and renewed, my references have always been outside of Philly, and I've never had a problem. They DO have to be NON-family members, though.

Marry you, and ruin it all ? I say let's play in sin. ~Michele
    Do ya like warm oil massages ?~Me
    As long as it's gun oil.~Michele

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyDad View Post
    I think you may be off a bit with the references thing. I don't think they need to live in the same county as the applicant. All the times I've applied and renewed, my references have always been outside of Philly, and I've never had a problem. They DO have to be NON-family members, though.
    I called the sheriffs office the other day and they just said as long as it's not immediate family it's ok. Didn't really give me an answer on whether they preferred county residents over non-county.

(Chester County)

Well even the cover letter of a Chester County application states that your references should be same county as applicant. Unless it is just chester county can they really vary that much?
    Attached Files Attached Files

(Chester County)

Even though they ask for county residents they won't give you any problems with out of county residents. It is the same for most counties....

As far as the employer no worries there either. They can't stop you from getting a LTCF for not having a job or just having a Part time job.

Welcome to the site!
    Last edited by SteveXD; March 15th, 2008 at 10:38 PM.

(Chester County)

All I know is I followed the instructions given and there is never ever a problem. You will more than likely be fine, I just know what I was instructed to do. But you should more than like ly be fine if you called them explained the situation and they said you are good to go, then you should be good to go. Oh yeah welcome to the site I love it here everyone is super nice, and there are some here that are super duper smart!!

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by knighthawk06699 View Post
    First off I think your references need to be non family members that legally reside in the county to which you are applying.
    I don't know about Luzerne county but in Susquehanna I used references from NC and NY as well as Phila. with no problems. On renew I used Pittsburgh and NY and Phila again no problem.

Guess I don't understand why your references would have to be from the same county !

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyDad View Post
    I ain't positive, but i'm pretty sure that if your permanent address is in Luzerne, and your only a part-time resident of Philly, you should be good to go in Wilkes. A permit is good state-wide, so it doesn;t matter if it's a "Luzerne" county, or a Philly permit, it's all the same. As far as being near a school, I think you're good there too. Somebody will come along with better info., I'm sure. But, in my opinion, I think you're safe all around. Welcome to the forum, and have fun here, I know I do !!!!
    You only have fun here because of me and I take credit for that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast