Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Wylde chambered AR

I am ready to order the parts for my first AR, and am thinking of getting a Rock River Arms upper:

Mid-Length A4 Upper Half; Mid-Length Handguard, Black; Stainless Steel, 1:8, .223 Wylde, $65.00 option; A2 Flash Hider; A2 Front Sight; With Standard Latch

anyone have any experiance with the Wylde ?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Wylde chambered AR

Wylde chambers are VERY popular in the sport of NRA highpower. In fact most that shoot the .223 in National Match Course use that chamber. Wylde was a pioneer of AR development in the 1980's and 90s and his chamber is good if you plan on shooting 80 grain bullets. I have owned a number of match grade service rifles with the Wylde chamber, I prefer the CLE chamber design(shorter throat) but the Wylde would be my second choice. I am however in the minority in Highpower as most shooters prefer the Wylde.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Seneca Arms Co. Inc. View Post
    Wylde chambers are VERY popular in the sport of NRA highpower. In fact most that shoot the .223 in National Match Course use that chamber. Wylde was a pioneer of AR development in the 1980's and 90s and his chamber is good if you plan on shooting 80 grain bullets. I have owned a number of match grade service rifles with the Wylde chamber, I prefer the CLE chamber design(shorter throat) but the Wylde would be my second choice. I am however in the minority in Highpower as most shooters prefer the Wylde.
    I do CMP right now (just started) and the bullets are considerabley lighter, I am unfamilaiar with NRA highpower, what is that exactly, do you have a link? I want versatility. Will the Wylde shoot well witht the lighter loads also ?

(Montgomery County)

CMP matches and NRA matches are "generally" the same course of fire. CMP matches are 50 shot National Match Course offhand 200 yds, rapid sitting 200 yds, rapid prone 300yds and slow prone 600yds and all service rifle only. NRA Highpower is the same yet most matches are 80 shot formats with 20 rounds per each position and service rifles as well as NRA Match rifles are legal. match rifles are still iron sights only, but allow for more mods and adjustments. Wylde chambers will shoot the light bullets like 52grain sierra realy well.

I am guessing that you are shooting on reduced course matches like 100 or 200yds? If you ever plan on shooting the full course of fire 200-300-600yds you will need to use heavy bullets and most of the time that means 69,75 or 77 grain bullets for 200 and 300yds and 80 grain bullets for 600yds.

A great place to learn about National Match Course shooting(CMP/NRA) is at National Match dot us. I am a moderator there and here is a link.

http://www.nationalmatch.us/

just register to log in and browse around, it is a great resource.

BTW, most local clubs call their matches CMP matches, but in reality they are running 50 shot NRA highpower matches. CMP matches are generally Excellence in Competition matches generally refered to as LEG matches, and they are fired without sighter shots and only on full course 200-300-600yds. LEG matches are HARD and are the matches that civillians as well as military compete in to try and become distinguished(see my avatar). Many local clubs sponser CMP matches that are geared to Garand shooters and they will generally allow AR15s as well as Match Rifles to compete.
    Last edited by Seneca Arms Co. Inc.; December 9th, 2007 at 05:19 PM.

(Allegheny County)

also this steel 1in8 wylde I am looking at is not listed as being a "heavy barrel" is it lighter than the heavy barrels? I dont like the lightweight AR's, and I also dont like the heavy barrels, I am hoping this will be like a normal weight.

(Lawrence County)

Shawn, my 18" gun you saw today is a White Oak barreled Wylde chamber. It eats everything.

CMP guns are typically heavy........and to shoot tight groups with 1:8 and 1:7 twists you should use 70-80gr bullets. It is NOT typical for CMP shooters to use light bullets, but at reduced course you can get away with it.

Lycangoodluckthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Shawn, my 18" gun you saw today is a White Oak barreled Wylde chamber. It eats everything.

CMP guns are typically heavy........and to shoot tight groups with 1:8 and 1:7 twists you should use 70-80gr bullets. It is NOT typical for CMP shooters to use light bullets, but at reduced course you can get away with it.

Lycangoodluckthrope
    Your 18inch wasnt TOO heavy (not like HAWK's) and I am assuming the 16inch I want will be a tad lighter. The 55grain was what the guys at CMP where using, I just figured that was correct.

Thanks, I am going to meditate on this for a few more moments and then go order my upper!

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    Your 18inch wasnt TOO heavy (not like HAWK's) and I am assuming the 16inch I want will be a tad lighter. The 55grain was what the guys at CMP where using, I just figured that was correct.

Thanks, I am going to meditate on this for a few more moments and then go order my upper!
    What do you want to do with it?

CMP guns use lead in the stocks and under the handguards to be steady with offhand shooting....some run 22lbs. My 18" was a heavy barrel gun.........

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    What do you want to do with it?

CMP guns use lead in the stocks and under the handguards to be steady with offhand shooting....some run 22lbs. My 18" was a heavy barrel gun.........
    I want to shoot CMP, but I also want it for emergency.
    I could not hold up HAWK's steady due to the weight. I do believe he had added weight on it.
    Your 18 didnt have any lead under the handguards though, right?

(Lawrence County)

No...it did not...but to shoot CMP Service Rifle class you need the 20" A2 profile......detacheable carry handle....or not. 16" and 18" guns are a NO GO.

You're best bet is to buy a all around AR and a Service rifle upper or a dedicated CMP upper and make do.

RRA for shelf CMP guns or White Oak for a tack driver (but you need to reload).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast