Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Sig 232 ?'s

(Bucks County)

Default Sig 232 ?'s

I was just wondering if anyone out there owes a 232. If so, have you had any problems with it? I just picked one up today for the wife and we took it to the range. A couple of times the round got hung up going from mag to barrel when you put a loaded mag in. It would only happen on the first round of a new mag. After the first round it would not happen again until some time latter on another mag. We were shooting American Eagle ammo ( federal) 90 grain .380 . Any help here would be great.
    Last edited by ulooze; December 7th, 2007 at 09:27 PM.

Default Re: Sig 232 ?'s

I had one in the past and never had an issue with it. How are you charging the first round?
    Jules

(Philadelphia County)

Maby a weak mag spring.
    Glock 22 Sig 220west G kimber c2 Dan wesson 357 Sig 229 9mm

(Chester County)

I had a Sig 230 that initially had some feeding issues. First off make sure you are charging the pistol by pulling the slide back and letting it go, do not use the slide release. In my experience 380 blowbacks like this can be very stiff at first if you bought it new. I wouldn't seriously worry about it until you have put maybe a few hundred rounds through it. Clean it and take it out again, maybe a box of defense ammo too will shake it up a bit more. I know it will be tough to trust this gun b/c of these issues, but these do much better with a little break in period.

(Bucks County)

I went back to the range today to give it another try. Prior to going I made sure it was very clean and not over lubricated as Sig said this could hamper the feed. I also changed ammo to Remington cause thats all they had at Dicks. Needless to say the gun performed flawlessly. I shot 150 rounds through it and it never even hinted of a feed problem. The Remington ammo appeared to be cleaner leaving less behind as apposed to the american eagle ammo. My confidence has been restored. Thank you for your reply's.

If you have big hands, beware. The slide has a mighty bite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is why I got rid of the little bugger. Other than that, I loved it. It was no fun to come home from the range with blood on my hands. It was worse to have to actually scrape meat from the slide when cleaning.
    Jules

One more caveat. There is a tiny tiny spring that remains on the frame after removing the slide. I don't have the manual any more to give you the proper name so I won't even begin to guess. It is a retention type spring, not a coil spring. Easily lost if not careful. Well here, I looked it up. It is the SLIDE CATCH LEVER SPRING (Number 43). This little f**()_ will fly if not careful. Try finding it on the bench or on the garage floor. Dang.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sch...ae&model=P232+

Happy shooting,
    Jules

Oh, I have at least one extra laying around. If you wish to, you can PM me with an address and I would be more than happy to sacrafice a stamp to mail it off to you.
    Jules

(Bucks County)

I recieved an e-mail response today from Sig pertaining my concern over the 232's dependability. I told them about the feed jams that I had the first time out with the gun. I also told them that I have yet to have a problem since the first 150 rounds through the gun. Thier response was that they recommend the use of American ammunition, and that due to the 232's size it can be somewhat ammo sensitive. They told me to shoot the ammo that the gun likes best and keep it clean. I have returned to the range again today and put another 150 rounds through the gun with ZERO problems. Just FYI for anyone who has had similar issues.

(Northampton County)

It seems to be sensitive to limp wristing too (not saying you do this). Best to have a firm grip given that it is a blowback design. Also, as mentioned earlier, when charging the weapon, pull back and release the slide smartly.

Mine is ever vigilant defending my safe and does not get out much.