Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default some encounters OCing today.

first of all, TGIFF. yes, that's two F's. it's been a long week, and i'm looking forward to doing absolutely nothing for two days. whether that dream will be realized remains to be seen. i had some encounters today while OCing i wanted to describe, just to illustrate how different people react to a man carrying openly.

the first happened at burger king, on luzerne st. in scranton, around 5pm. OCing there is no big deal, i've done it before, and the staff there act like they don't notice. in front of me and anna on line were some teens, two boys and girl, not yet 18. the girl gave a hard poke to one of the boys, and pointed at my gun, not too discreetly. they whispered pretty excitedly. "ay, yo, my man, dat gun real, yo?"

anna started to smirk, and she muttered, "here we go..."

i replied it was, and went back to trying to figure out if i wanted a double whopper, or the steakhouse burger.

"you got a permit for that, dawg?" he asked.

"i have a license to carry a concealed weapon, but you don't need one to carry a gun openly."

"whatchoo mean concealed?" he asked.

his friend jumped in, "he means you need a permit to cover that joint up, like wit a shirt. damn, you stoopid, son!"

"oh, so like, if i cover that up, i need a permit, but if a got that shit out like you, i'm cool? that wassup, yo! i'ma get my shit and just chill and shit."

i started to cringe, in my stomach. i really didn't want to talk any more, but i figured i'd better set them straight on some points. "you can carry a gun openly if you're 18 years old, on foot. that is, you can't be in a vehicle with it. you can get your license when you're 21 to carry concealed. once you're 21, and you get your license, you can carry anyway you want."

"for real, yo?"

sigh. "for real."

the girl suddenly piped in. "yeah but you can't get shit anyway, cuz of when you got arrested! 'member? when you was wit paulie and dem, when they had them guns in the car?"

"but i was 16, bitch, and i didn't get no charge or nothing! besides, i was a juvvie, and that shit gets sealed when i turn 18, so shut up. ain't that right, son?"

i stared at him hard. "don't call me son, shawty."

his whole posture changed, and then the eminem wannabe remembered how to speak american standard. "oh, sorry sir."

later, i left with anna and the kids. the teens were outside, smoking. the other boy called out, "aye, yo, is that a nine?"

i turned and nodded, getting the kids in the van.

"what that cost you? about a $100?"

now, i understand the S&W sigma isn't a les baer, but $100? i got in the van, and drove off, puzzled.

about an hour later, i stopped at a convenient store on pittston ave, to buy smokes for anna. as i headed back to the van, a large black man was entering the store. he saw me and nearly jumped. "damn, *****? you a'ight?"

i laughed and said "yeah, i'm cool."

"a'ight then. be cool, man."

about an hour ago, i drove the mobil on davis st., for more cigarettes. there was a man standing by the counter, talking to the lady at the register. as i pulled out my wallet, he asked, "what's that, a smith or a taurus?"

ahhhhhh......

we chatted for a few minutes about guns, and different shops, and dickson city. he knew very little about it, since he's a truck driver, and he's gone quite a bit. probably the best conversation i've had all day. i directed him here, so hopefully, we'll be seeing him around.
    Last edited by jahwarrior72; June 21st, 2008 at 12:11 AM.

Default Re: some encounters OCing today.

damn warrior......you rollin' wit yo burner n' slugs, you lucky you ditn't get stole. you mus' be drawn' totin' that jawn. who do you think you is causin' ma fuz to git all hype and shit?

good grief......i know what you mean. i hear that trash and deal with the knuckleheads everyday. it gets old real quick.

funny story, thanks for sharing. don't worry about vanilla ice getting to the point of oc, cc and or any c for that matter.........he'll have a felony by then. besides, he wouldn't take the time to buy a holster anyway and open carry mexican style isn't so efficient.

take care.
    Adapt, Adjust and Overcome.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for taking the time to post that.

One thing to remember, and your post reflects this, don't OC if you are not prepared to answer questions. I don't mean prepared, as in a "script", but simply put, if you are uncomfortable with the prospect of explaining yourself, OC may not be the best choice for you.

Honestly, I don't know that I'm ready for that. I OC every day around my neighborhood, but I still CC 98% of the time when I go into a retail environment.

And for the record, not one person I've encountered in the past 16 months or so of "OC dog walks" has said a damned thing about the Glock.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    And for the record, not one person I've encountered in the past 16 months or so of "OC dog walks" has said a damned thing about the Glock.
    Yeah, but what about your dawg!?!

Good report jahwarrior, even if I had some trouble parsing the sentences.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to post that.

One thing to remember, and your post reflects this, don't OC if you are not prepared to answer questions. I don't mean prepared, as in a "script", but simply put, if you are uncomfortable with the prospect of explaining yourself, OC may not be the best choice for you.

Honestly, I don't know that I'm ready for that. I OC every day around my neighborhood, but I still CC 98% of the time when I go into a retail environment.

I my best street slang:
    So what u is sayin is I don't wanna get jacked by the po po an don't know what to say to other peeps I should keep my burner on the down low?