Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Springfield XD Vs. Walther P99 (please post if you have an opinion)

Springfield XD 9MM Vs. Walther P99 9MM

Ok,

It looks like I have it down to these two firearms. I will be getting my purchase permit in August, as well as some extra $$$ to pay for it. My budget was around $600 - $700.

I had read the P99 review on this site and was sold on it, then I was sold on the PPS, then a friend introduced me to the XD and I was very impressed. This decision making is fun, but I want to make sure that I choose wisely.

I like the Walther for the looks, the reliability, and the way it feels. I like the Springfield for the looks, the reliability, and the way it feels. Stalemate. the only thing I can see is that the Springfield is less expensive and comes with a lot more.

Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions, reviews, or overall chat would be very beneficial.

Thanks in advance. . . .

Default Re: Springfield XD Vs. Walther P99 (please post if you have an opinion)

I got rid of my xd and got a glock. That's my opinion.

(Erie County)

I love my XD, it just fit my hand the best. I can carry it in a crossbreed holster year round and it's very reliable. When I was shopping for this I tried various others and (for me) the XD felt / shot the best. If you can try them both out, do it and go with the one that has the best feel for you. FWIW, I paid less than $500 for mine.
    When the government has a knife at your throat and a hand on your wallet, it matters not whether it is the left or the right hand.

i havent had my XD45 that long, and am ANTI tupperware, BUT it is growing on me big time. i CC and OC it all the time. the only reason i am not carring it now is because i just got my 1911 and am getting used to it.

the P99 is nice, but i didnt think it was comfy in my hand near as much as the XD. if the M&P wasnt so expensive for what it is, i would have bought it. i might be getting one anyway, or looking into the M factor XD.

i would do it again, and the P99 was a contender, but lost out due to comfort and caliber.
    This Space For Rent

(Northampton County)

If you settle on the Walther M99, before you buy find a S&W version. The S&W 99 will cost you about 125 bucks less for what is basically the same gun. We had one of each in the shop and other than some cosmetic differences, the pistols feel and operate identically. The only thing that kinda bothers me about the XD is the grip safety - we've had some few customers who find it to be a bit finicky??? I've not fired any of these pistols, so I can't vouch for utility and accuracy - but I can relate feed back from buyers.
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

(Cambria County)

I have a full size and a compact XD. I absolutely love it. The gun just seems to want to go back on target after I fire. I actually shoot better whenever I am in a hurry, like at IDPA or USPSA matches. Don't know anything about the Walther.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

One advantage the Walther has is there are several different action types available, AS (anti-stress) being my choice, basically the same as a regular D/A-S/A pistol, the difference being it uses a striker instead of an exposed hammer. Dollar for dollar, the XD is hard to beat, their high bore axis being my main dislike. Since certain models of the XD are now equipped with thumb safeties, I'd really like to try one of those. CDNN has like new Smith and Wesson 99's at really good prices, IMO they are just as good as the Walther pistols. Bottom line is I don't feel you'll be unhappy with either of your choices. I prefer EITHER over Glock!

(Allegheny County)

Have a full size and a sub-compact XD.
    Love them, the subcompact is my ccw, I have more than a few thousand rounds through it without a FTanything. The accuracy doesnt really suffer from the smaller size, and dead reliable. I keep hearing internet rumor of people having issue with the grip, dont know why, It might as well not even exist for as passive a safety it is. Just grab-and-go.
    Have no experiance with the Walther.

Whats Walthers warranty like? Springfield has a great lifetime warranty.

I own a walther P22, never shot a P99. I like my P22, it's a fun plinker, but I've worn out 3 recoil springs in the thing already and the frame is showing some wear. I don't know what the P99 frame is made out of, but my slide stop doesn't even work on my P22 because the frame is worn enough and mine is the old design without the steel pin in the slide. I'm not sure what the slide is made out of on the P99, but I'd find out because if it's the same as my P22, I probably would steer clear of it for a carry pistol just because it makes me think light duty.

I love my XD-45 Tactical, I have about 5k through it. The other day I was thinking about it and realized how much money I've shot down range, lol. Anyway, I've never had any failure EVER, not a stove pipe, no failure to feed or fire, every time I pull the trigger it cycles and shoots again. I know LOTS of people that own XD's and don't know anybody (myself included) that has ever had a problem with the grip safety or grip. I remember a long time ago there was the rumors about it being able to lock up the entire pistol and having to drop the sear manually with something under the slide to get it all apart. I seem to remember that was total BS and nobody else could replicate it or had reported it. Anyway, I'd say shoot them both see which feels comfortable and you want to trust your life with it and go with it. I don't know much about the P99, just the XD.

(Luzerne County)

I have the XD .45 and LOVE IT. It was my first purchase and I have not regretted this one at all.

It feels great in ur hand, and like "Mtbkski" said, it always seems to find its way back to the target. I'm gonna guess its because of the ergonomics on the grip. People can say all they want about a Glock, but this one just feels better in my hand.

Plus, if u look around the internet, some of torture tests people have done on both Glock AND the Xd are pretty wicked. They take a licking and keep on ticking. I just prefer the feel of my XD.

And u may wanna check into that new XD(m) thts out, it looks pretty sweet as well!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast