Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default gunvault.com safe vs. biosafe

Hello,

I am looking for a bedside safe that has quick access. The gunvault.com has a keypad that your hand fits in. It is supposed to enable you to enter a quick pin number without looking at it. The spring door open and your ready. It costs about $150. The Biosafe on the other hand has finger print recognition. It costs over $300.

Does anyone here have one of these safes or something comparable? What do you recomend? Thanks!

(Philadelphia County)

I'd stay far away from "fingerprint" technologies.

Whats available for civilians at that price is going to be crap anyways, and this is the last thing you want to fail when the time comes.

It might work every single time, but imagine under stress, your skin is more oily/sweaty, you might apply too much pressure, you body temp might be higher, all these factors contribute to these little devices failing several times in a row. And for a gun safe thats several times too many.

I remember reading an artile on Wired a few months ago, about some chinese man figuring out how to bypass 90% of fingerprint scanners by using plastilline and gummie bears (I shit you not!)

I believe a locked gun is dangerous, but if you must, go with tried and proven instead of flashy and new.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Bucks County)

this is a good thread, excilent question. As for the fingerprint tech. , It may be nice in theory and works perfect under normal conditions, but when you are experienceing B.A.R.(body alarm reaction) your body because in a extreme state, and the figerprint device may not register your print, (like diego said, because of sweat, your hands may be shaking, body temp.) granted, it may accept it after 1 or 2 tries , but that 1 or 2 tries in needed to get at a gun will cost you valuable seconds that you cannot afford to waist.
    A safer and 100% reliable alternative is electronic numberpad safes, they a quick
    and if you have a good code that you memorized well you can open it just as fast as a fingerprint design
    just an opinion
    Drak
    Life and Liberty, Freedom for all.

(Northampton County)

Default Im buying the DAC sportsafe from Wallmart

I found it on Walmart's site for $55. It got awesome reviews at Highroad.org. It is like the the one at gunvault except half the price and twice as big. It has an alarm and motion detector.

(Carbon County)

If you buy Gunvault make sure it has the power cord (batteries only as backup)! Many people tell me they dont have to replace the batteries frequently..... but I'm on my second one after exchanging the first. BOTH use 8 Duracells a MONTH!!
    if you ever see my post edited...its most likely for speling :D
    "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"-In Time of War the Law Falls Silent-Cicero
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"-If you want peace, prepare for war-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"America Starts Here!"-former PA state Slogan...until NJ complained and our wussy GovRendell changed it!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Archiver View Post
    If you buy Gunvault make sure it has the power cord (batteries only as backup)! Many people tell me they dont have to replace the batteries frequently..... but I'm on my second one after exchanging the first. BOTH use 8 Duracells a MONTH!!
    My DAC sportsafe just came in the mail today. From the reviews I read, the original batteries last two to three years. This thing is solid.

Default Re: gunvault.com safe vs. biosafe

I would like to recommend the GunVault gunsafe to anyone looking for a compact safe that works! I have owned several GunVault safes over the last decade. I recently experienced an attempted break in on the GunVault I have mounted under the rear seat of my Suburban. My son had used the truck and told me someone had tried to break in while he was using it. Upon inspection, I found that someone had indeed tried to gain access to the GunVault. They had applied great pressure or weight to the top of the GunVault managing to remove the rubber cover and breaking two of the three retaining 'nuts' from the vault body. The GunVault's third screw remained attached and protected the contents of the GunVault from theft. I could not access the contents via the push buttons, but it opened right up with the key. Unless the device had disabled the thief, I cannot imagine how I could be happier or more satisfied with the product. As soon as I get a replacement, I will mount it under the seat and rest comfortably knowing that the contents are well protected.

Adam

(Chester County)

Pic not handy, but my gunvault was EASILY broken into with a large screw driver or small prybar.

This was the beside digital safe (finger depressions on the top). It was a Gunvault Deluxe.

It didn't even put up a fight. Do not buy for more than toddler safe....

(Allegheny County)

LorDiego01: You mention that you believe a locked gun is not safe. I assume you mean that it is not available when needed. How do you keep your home defense gun(s)?
    I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight. - Gen George Patton Jr.