Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default OMG another .45 question

XD,Smith M&P or Glock .45. I dont like idea of croatia in the xd,the glock has a funky feel and i havent got my hands on the smith yet. what are your opinions and why. THANK YOU

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: OMG another .45 question

dont knock it til u try it.

I was skeptical too about the XD being croatian-made... HOWEVER, after shooting it on several occasions and finally breaking down and buying my own (XD45 tactical bitone), I am impressed. i too hate the chunky feel of the glocks, and the XD's have more of the traditional 1911-style feel to it. I think it is the absolute best polymer handgun under $600... ( i know, I will get flamed for this) IMHO.

try an XD out... and remember, springfield has one of the best customer service dept. in the business... they will fix anything wrong with it even if you are the second or third or forty-fifth owner.

U will have to excuse me now... I am getting "excited" just thinking about my springfield. I must go fondle for a bit.

(Clarion County)

I've got a Glock,the 36 and it feels fine.The 36 is a single stack mag. and it feels totally slimmer than the other glocks.

(Lancaster County)

I personally own both an XD 45 (4") and a Glock model 21. I also have a Smith M&P 40 to use for comparison. Heres my thoughts......they are all great guns. That probably doesnt help you much but this might. If (or when) my financial situation ever gets bad enough to start selling guns and these three were all that I had left and I could only keep one......when all was said and done, I'd still have a Glock.

OMG they're all good

Personally...I like the M&P and glocks. Try one, see how it feels. The M&P have changeable backstraps to fit your hands, try all of em.

They're all very reliable...don't put down any one gun just because of where its made I like my little piece of Austria. It feels good in the hands, to me, but to you it doesn't. So try the XD, see how it feels, and the M&P with all its grips. See what feels best and make your choice off of that. I've shot a few of all three, they are all reliable.
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by chkrdflag11 View Post
    XD,Smith M&P or Glock .45. I dont like idea of croatia in the xd,the glock has a funky feel and i havent got my hands on the smith yet. what are your opinions and why. THANK YOU
    Have you considered a Sig?

Sig Sauer P220

One of the finest, most accurate "off the rack" .45's that money can buy and I will never be parted from
    mine.

Here is mine. It's the "Match" version with 5" barrel and slide

It fits my hand like no other. Its reliable, it looks great, and its extremely accurate.
    Mine has the DA/SA trigger with de-cocking lever, but you can get it SAO with safety as well.

Last edited by skyjerk; February 12th, 2009 at 08:54 AM.

When I was looking for my first pistol I knew I wanted a polymer pistol so I did a bunch of research and asked a bunch of questions here on the forum. On this site alone there are hundreds of satisfied Glock , M&P and XD owners. The one reply I kept getting was "They're all good pistols, Go try them out and see what feels right"
    It was great advise. I chose an XD40 and have been happy with it ever since. I don't really care where it's made. The research told me they are good reliable pistols.

"you have no power; here is the power; feel the power, brat, and then speak again of how you come to kill the Eternal."
    Pennywise The Clown

(Mercer County)

I agree with Penny. I thought I knew which handgun I wanted, until I asked the shop to lay out my choices side by side. Each felt fine when looking at only one at a time, but when I was able to pick them up immediately after each other, I knew right away which was best.

(Bucks County)

Sounds as if you have made the decision before shooting any of them, not smart. Shoot each before judging. All three are decent guns.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    I asked the shop to lay out my choices side by side. Each felt fine when looking at only one at a time, but when I was able to pick them up immediately after each other, I knew right away which was best.
    This is what I did as well. Glock, M&P, Sig, A couple 1911's as well.
    Kimber, Springfield.
    Held them all, and shot them all in the same session, too.

The Sig was the one for me. No question.

Of course its not polymer, but that made no diff to me. If a polymer gun had felt better to me thats what I'd own now.
    Last edited by skyjerk; February 12th, 2009 at 10:22 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast