Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Fayette County)

Default Confused about the rules

From the home page I click on the carry conceled icon and it states the rules for 18 P.C.S. 6160. If I carry conceled it is a 3rd degree felony. Here is my question. I dont have any permits. If I take my handgun bowhunting, for personal protection only, and it is in my holster on my belt covered by my shirt, is this considered a conceled weapon.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Confused about the rules

yes it would be consiered concealed.

concealed is concealed.

my advice would be apply for and receive your LTCF so your covered.

greg

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown221 View Post
    my advice would be apply for and receive your LTCF so your covered.
    Awesome inadvertent pun.

(Fayette County)

Yes it's concealed and if you get caught carrying while bowhunting without a license to carry you can kiss your hunting license goodbye too.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

(Jefferson County)

If you are only concerned about carrying while hunting - you can get a Sportsmans Permit at the county Treasurer's office for like $7 and its good for 5 years(I think). It provides you legal protection if you conceal while hunting, fishing, trapping or dog training.

But really, $25-40 will get you a full blown license and will provide coverage everywhere else.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

I am not positive, but I am relatively sure it is illegal to carry a firearm of any kind while bowhunting. This would include a pistol with a LTCF or Sportsman license. I am sure someone will correct me if Im wrong but I think I looked into it before and was dissapointed that I couldn't carry while bowhunting.

Gmac

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gmac View Post
    I am not positive, but I am relatively sure it is illegal to carry a firearm of any kind while bowhunting. This would include a pistol with a LTCF or Sportsman license. I am sure someone will correct me if Im wrong but I think I looked into it before and was dissapointed that I couldn't carry while bowhunting.

Gmac
    The law has changed...you can carry with a LTCF while hunting now.

Act 162 of 2006 (HB 2563) - AMENDING TITLE 34 (GAME) OF THE PENNSYLVANIA CONSOLIDATED STATUTES, PROVIDING FOR POSSESSION OF FIREARM FOR PROTECTION OF SELF OR OTHERS - The General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania hereby enacts as follows:
    Section 1. Title 34 of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes is amended by adding a section to read:
    Section 2525. Possession of firearm for protection of self or others.
    (a) General rule.--It is lawful for a law enforcement officer or any person who possesses a valid license to carry a firearm issued under 18 Pa C.S. Section 6109 (relating to licenses) to be in possession of a loaded or unloaded firearm while engaged in any activity regulated by this title.
    (b) Construction.--(1) This section shall supersede any prohibition on the possession of firearms or ammunition contained in any other provision of this title.
    (2) This subsection shall not be construed to permit the hunting or harvesting of any wildlife with a firearm or ammunition not otherwise permitted by this title.
    (c) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
    "Firearm." As defined in 18 Pa C.S. § 6102 (relating to definitions).
    "Law enforcement officer." As defined in 18 Pa C.S. § 6102 (relating to definitions

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    If you are only concerned about carrying while hunting - you can get a Sportsmans Permit at the county Treasurer's office for like $7 and its good for 5 years(I think). It provides you legal protection if you conceal while hunting, fishing, trapping or dog training.
    Careful, read the law.

But really, $25-40 will get you a full blown license and will provide coverage everywhere else.
    Follow this advice.
    Kind Regards,
    ChuckS

“The will to win is important. But the will to prepare is vital.” — Joe Paterno

(York County)

ChuckS-

Thank you! That is good news. I just found it in the hunting digest. As far as the OP, you cannot carry concealed with a Sportsman Permit while bowhunting or spotlighting.

Gmac

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
    The law has changed...you can carry with a LTCF while hunting now.

Careful, read the law.

Follow this advice.
    Oh yeah, I guess he did say "bowhunting" - which you'd be correct, a LTCF would be needed. All I saw was "hunting" when I read it, selective reading I guess. Stick shooting doesn't compute in my brain. lol
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Archer4Life View Post
    From the home page I click on the carry conceled icon and it states the rules for 18 P.C.S. 6160. If I carry conceled it is a 3rd degree felony. Here is my question. I dont have any permits. If I take my handgun bowhunting, for personal protection only, and it is in my holster on my belt covered by my shirt, is this considered a conceled weapon.

Yes, it is considered concealed.

Without a LTC, you cannot carry your handgun while bowhunting. You need a LTC.

A Sportman's Permit does NOT allow you to carry while bowhunting.