Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default M4 carbine killing our troops

Man this pisses me off.I never did like the M16 or the M4. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...er-army-was-w/

Default Re: M4 carbine killing our troops

Someone quick!

Tell me how much better and worth it Colt AR's are over other brands.....
    Hold the Line...

(Adams County)

I remember our M16s jamming in the very early 90s, back when we were still training for a Western European conflict. I'm glad this is finally getting some media attention, but it's way too little, too late. Particularly since the M16 went through several revisions before they switched to the M4, and it's also been through a couple.

That "weapons system" has caused problems since it was first introduced. Give me a Garand or M14 anytime.

I have questions on the accuracy of the article. SF are typically authorized to make certain mods to their weapons and purchase commercial off the shelf items.

The limitation is the modifications are to be made by trained armorers which are plentiful in their community.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    ... trained armorers which are plentiful in their community.
    I believe that to be an understatement, son...

I have questions on the accuracy of the article. SF are typically authorized to make certain mods to their weapons and purchase commercial off the shelf items.

The limitation is the modifications are to be made by trained armorers which are plentiful in their community.
    It is ridiculous that they would even HAVE to resort to doing that. Our military should have the best guns possible. The fact that Colt does not feel they are worth it or some crony capitalist politician supports crappy guns to get votes in his district is B.S.

(Chester County)

This is a continuation of the same story that's been told since they issued the A1. The other part of the story involves the inadequacy of the minor calibre 5.56 Nato. The story goes on and on and on. The platform is as old as well, I'm not going to say, look it up. As was the problem from the beginning the gas impingement system makes is necessary to keep the firearm clean. Again from the very beginning with this platform it's always been about training which was sorely lacking at it's introduction but I don't believe that's a problem now. As it stands the AR platform has stood the test of time and can go toe to toe with any other weapon system. It comes down to the training, tactics and the personnel that are using them.
    Diversity is the greatest weakness, excellence is the greatest strength. JPC

(Allegheny County)

I'm not defending the gun only going with history.

Vietnam and M16 problems.

1. Dirty ammunition clogging up the gas system.
    Problem solved with a mandatory change in the powder used with in a few months of identifying the issue.

2. The solders were not properly maintaining their weapons and needed to be retrained in cleaning and routine maintenance of the gun. Most issues with weapon reliability were solved once guys in the field understood the proper care of their rifle.

(Bucks County)

Seconded! I question the 'politics' of the article. Granted, when it comes down to it, I'd take the M14 every day and twice on Sunday over the Mattel Gun, but it still is a very reliable weapon system when maintained and cleaned properly.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast