Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Found out my police department's response time...Hope I don't REALLY need them.

My neighbor came over for a visit and was calling lots of numbers looking for a used jeep. One of the jeeps was in NY and we were using a crappy phone with sticky buttons. Well....the area code started with 91 and I guess she didn't think the 1 worked and accidentally hit it again. We didn't know any of this until about 25 minutes later.....when the cop showed up. 25 minutes later! The guy was nice enough, he used out phone to verify it was the number the hang up was from. We bull-shitted about guns. He carries a sig. Just ordered an XD .45. I told him to be safe on the wet roads and hope I'm not getting stabbed next time I dial 9-11 because I'm probably shit out of luck. He never gave a reason for the shitty response time, and I half jokingly said well....If there's ever somebody breaking into this house, and I have to call 9-11, I'm just going to yell FIRE because at least they'll get here quicker. Hopefully the sirens will scare him off. He didn't find that funny but still never gave a reason for a 25 minute response time.

It really illitstrated what I always feared. Out here in the cut, the cops will get here in time to take pictures.

Default Re: Found out my police department's response time...Hope I don't REALLY need them.

Quote Originally Posted by p-11 shooter View Post
    My neighbor came over for a visit and was calling lots of numbers looking for a used jeep. One of the jeeps was in NY and we were using a crappy phone with sticky buttons. Well....the area code started with 91 and I guess she didn't think the 1 worked and accidentally hit it again. We didn't know any of this until about 25 minutes later.....when the cop showed up. 25 minutes later! The guy was nice enough, he used out phone to verify it was the number the hang up was from. We bull-shitted about guns. He carries a sig. Just ordered an XD .45. I told him to be safe on the wet roads and hope I'm not getting stabbed next time I dial 9-11 because I'm probably shit out of luck. He never gave a reason for the shitty response time, and I half jokingly said well....If there's ever somebody breaking into this house, and I have to call 9-11, I'm just going to yell FIRE because at least they'll get here quicker. Hopefully the sirens will scare him off. He didn't find that funny but still never gave a reason for a [SIZE="4"]25 minute response time.[/SIZE

It really illitstrated what I always feared. Out here in the cut, the cops will get here in time to take pictures.
    It is called "Dial-A-Prayer" you can use my type of prayer book , something in double stack and something in pump action like 12 ga.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Found out my police department's response time...Hope I don't REALLY need them.

ill trade ya places man, i live less than 2 miles from state police headquarters and 5 miles from there training facility in Hershey. lol

For some places, 25 minutes is very fast, It means they where on your street...

Ive seen 5 hour reponse times and th elocal pd was only a mile from the clients home, unfortunately they held banking hours and the PSP had to respond...
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    For some places, 25 minutes is very fast, It means they where on your street...
    Ive seen 5 hour reponse times and th elocal pd was only a mile from the clients home, unfortunately they held banking hours and the PSP had to respond...
    I don't know man. For a township that's like 5 square miles I thin they could at least cut it down to like 10 minutes.
    And i'm being generous by saying 25 minutes. It was AT LEAST 25 minutes, we're not sure exactly but it may have been longer.

Anyway a 9-11 hang up is a serious situation. It could mean someone is getting killed on the other line. They said they tried to call back and got a busy signal. We were on the line for like 30 seconds you'd think they'd call again. And if I remember right Butler county has got one of the best enhanced 9-11 centers in the state. I know that because i've toured it a couple times.

I'm pretty sure there's some dispachers on here. Correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure if the system gets a hang up, it automatically redials the number and if it's busy it instantly rings the number as soon as the line is clear. That's how they explained it to me when I toured the facility. Anyway if has left me doubting how much help they'll be if I need them.

Hell if 25 minutes is fast for a potential emergency then these guys should quit while they're ahead. My girlfriends dog ran into the neighbors yard one time and he called the cops. There were 3 cops there in 5 minutes. Thank god we didn't actually need them tonight. I'm better off calling the pizza shop. At least I know they can have someone here in 15.

(Allegheny County)

Just two quick question...How many Officers are on a shift at one time and did the responding Officer mention if they were on other calls at the time...Not defending...just asking.
    No signature required.

(Butler County)

Tonight probably just one.

And he neversaid why it took so long. There may have been other calls.

I know there are valid reasons that cops can't be everywhere. I don't expect them to be. I know alot of towns around here don't have the cash to have alot of cops at one time.

This just proves the flawed thinking of those who say "you don't need a gun, that's what we have police for."

They obviously never had to call them, and they obviously never saw the picture of the cop with a backwards magazine.

I'll stick with my gun thank you, more cops for you.

(Montgomery County)

it was probably longer as they most likely had to triangulate your cell...thats why theres a 911 "fee" on cell bills, they are upgrading systems to be able to triangulate your location with your cell.

this also means, if you dont want to be tracked, dont keep the cell on, with the battery in it.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    this also means, if you dont want to be tracked, dont keep the cell on, with the battery in it.
    Your GPS on your phone is active as long as the battery is in it, whether the power on or not.

So best thing to do is pull the battery out, sim card out and smash the phone on the ground...

Or slip it into someone else's pocket....
    Freedom is paid with the blood of those who understand what being free really means. (Me)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - 1775 Benjamin Franklin

(Susquehanna County)

Where I live the local police don't respond at all out side of the town. The State Police average a 2 hour turn around time. I stopped at the Gibson Barracks to report a burglaries told the duty officer I'd have coffee and donuts for the officer by the time he got here the coffee was cold and the donuts were stale. 4 Hours later

And they wonder why I have so many guns. And carry all the time
    Last edited by larrymeyer; March 5th, 2008 at 06:31 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast