Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default NC VA Travel questions

I'll be taking a trip to North Carolina in about 2 weeks and just wanted to check if there were any odd laws reguarding concealed carry that I should know about. I'm referring to restrictions on magazine capacity or hollow points etc. I know these laws are mostly a Northern state phenomenon but I decided better safe than sorry.

I do have a PA LTCF, and my pistol will be locked up for part of my trip. I'm going down the Del/Mar/Va peninsula so Del and Mar and their BS laws will require that much.

I'm checking online as well but me and bureaucratic websites don't get along so I'm asking the experts here for peace of mind.

(Pike County)

Default Re: NC VA Travel questions

Check with Handgunlaws.us. You will find NC has many places you can't carry. Va isn't as bad. Your smart in checking before you go.

Quote Originally Posted by indiandave View Post
    Check with Handgunlaws.us. You will find NC has many places you can't carry. Va isn't as bad. Your smart in checking before you go.
    Aside from Illinois, where everything is off limits and the peoples' republics where you can't get a license, NC has the worst (longest) list of off-limits places around and include most of the places a visitor is likely to go. Any place that serves alcohol, any place that charges for admission, public gatherings, . . . And "must inform officer."

VA is very much like Pennsylvania, though you can't consume alcohol while carrying concealed (oddly, it's OK if you open carry).

NC sucks for gun rights. In addition to what was mentioned above, you must inform the officer you have a gun, if stopped.
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

(Chester County)

Boy am I glad I checked. Especially with the prohibition of "places that sell alcohol", that would be most restaurants even if I don't drink while there.

As far as being required to inform, that does not apply if the pistol is locked in a safe while driving my truck does it?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by silkworm View Post
    Boy am I glad I checked. Especially with the prohibition of "places that sell alcohol", that would be most restaurants even if I don't drink while there.

As far as being required to inform, that does not apply if the pistol is locked in a safe while driving my truck does it?
    Not sure if this really answers that question

§ 14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.

(a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law. The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer.