Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Exclamation Moving to PA! i have some questions! please help.

HI all, IM a florida resident and i enjoy our mostly friendly gun laws. I am however moving near the end of the year to Philadelphia, well between philidelphia university and chestnut hill so far north philly. i was wondering about the area, ive heard its nice and not to bad crime wise and ive head its bad. i know i can carry statewide but what is the general attitude twards ccw in the area and in philly? and is there castle doctrine and stand your ground laws in place? what areas should i avoid at all costs? lol
    thanks for any help.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Moving to PA! i have some questions! please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampdaddy84 View Post
    HI all, IM a florida resident and i enjoy our mostly friendly gun laws. I am however moving near the end of the year to Philadelphia, well between philidelphia university and chestnut hill so far north philly. i was wondering about the area, ive heard its nice and not to bad crime wise and ive head its bad. i know i can carry statewide but what is the general attitude twards ccw in the area and in philly? and is there castle doctrine and stand your ground laws in place? what areas should i avoid at all costs? lol
    thanks for any help.
    If you like FL's laws, you like PA's even more(except the handgun transfer thing and vehicle transporting requiring a license). Outside of Philly and with no state of emergency - you don't need a license to openly carry a gun afoot.

Start here - http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html

PA has always had Castle Doctrine. We added SYG last year.

Philly's government hates guns, but they have no real say in things - PA has preemption. Urban areas like anywhere else tend to lean towards anti-gun, so you may have more issues with common folks when carrying is the subject.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    If you like FL's laws, you like PA's even more(except the handgun transfer thing and vehicle transporting requiring a license). Outside of Philly and with no state of emergency - you don't need a license to openly carry a gun afoot.

Start here - http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html

PA has always had Castle Doctrine. We added SYG last year.

Philly's government hates guns, but they have no real say in things - PA has preemption. Urban areas like anywhere else tend to lean towards anti-gun, so you may have more issues with common folks when carrying is the subject.
    thanks! wow the pa laws are actually more lenient than Florida. thats good.

(Mercer County)

thanks for any help.
    Welcome to Pennsylvania, as well as the forum! With your FL permit, you are indeed able to carry concealed(and openly*) statewide, although Philadelphia may try to tell you otherwise. Yes, Pennsylvania is a Castle Doctrine State, with a SYG provision in place. To read more about this, and have it explained, visit: http://www.heraldstandard.com/opinio...734b0a217.html

Who cares what the attitude towards ccw is? It's your right to protect yourself and your family, regardless of what others may think. That said, you will find PA to be very firearms-friendly. As far as areas to avoid go, I really can't comment, as I live on the other side of the state. However, from what I gather, the area that you should really avoid is Philly.

*If you're interested in carrying openly, let us know, and we will bring you up to speed on the subject. For starters: http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...re-you-do.html

ETA: Damn, you guys are quick on the trigger!
    Last edited by sprrdhawk44; May 29th, 2012 at 06:54 PM.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Jefferson County)

thanks! wow the pa laws are actually more lenient than Florida. thats good.
    Slightly.. However..

FL allows for unlicensed glovebox or cased carry vehicle carry - PA doesn't unless you are going to/from the exempted locations. PA does honor a license/permit from ANY state within a vehicle.

FL doesn't require private handgun transfers to go through a FFL - PA does require handguns to go through a FFL or sheriff, except for transfers between spouses, parent/child, grandparent/grandchild.

PA also has Philly and the state law requiring a LTCF or reciprocal license to carry openly or concealed a handgun, rifle, or shotgun on the streets of a City of the First Class(Philly is the only one). Outside of Philly you can carry a loaded shotgun or rifle openly or concealed(under a trenchcoat) without a license.

"Firearms" for most of PA's laws only means handguns with barrels less than 15", SBS's, and SBR's. ..A LTCF covers those. While in Philly or during a declared emergency a LTCF also covers long guns.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!