Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Mauser Bolt Is Just Stuck

I finally got my 8mm mauser field headspace checker - gauge, and so going to check for it I inserted the bolt after removing the extractor, but the bolt just stopped right where I inserted it. Have a look.

It only moves about an 8th of an inch back, and forth along the grove that it's in. I took the bolt stop off, and even the trigger frame, but I can't see what it's caught dead on. The trigger sear appears to be clear from blocking anything to. Is this a common feature in mausers that can be fixed?

Default Re: Mauser Bolt Is Just Stuck

You broke it Will. It's scrap now.

Seriously, just press the magazine floorplate down and the bolt will close. Pull the side lever (left side, on receiver in your photo) outward to remove the bolt.

The gun's fine, it's the gun's way of telling the shooter it's out of ammo. It's called (imagine this...) a bolt hold open feature. The floorplate is intentionally too high, and after the last round is ejected, it gets in the way of the bolt, forcing it open. It's designed that way and many Mauser owners filed or ground a ramp so the bolt would close on an empty chamber without pressing the floorplate down.
    Last edited by PA Rifleman; June 6th, 2007 at 12:56 AM.

(Lebanon County)

It's actually stuck just past the point where you need to push it down, and I just ran into my room to try it, but no luck. I think I really did break it. The floor plate is easily pushed in, and shows no sign of infringement.

Pull the bolt stop lever all the way out...will the bolt move any further in or out?

Also, is that a K98k?

EDIT: Just checked my 98k...the only thing I see that could cause this is a foreign object protruding down from one of the gas holes in the bottom of the bolt and catching the rear safety lug recess. Another less likely possiblity is the rear triggerguard screw overtightened & jamming the bolt.

Try turning the rifle upside down and work the bolt back & forth with very light pressure...try holding the bolt release lever out too. See if you can get the bolt to either close or (better yet) come out of the gun.

Also, can you post a closeup of the bolt head position in the receiver? I want to try and simulate it here.
    Last edited by PA Rifleman; June 6th, 2007 at 01:30 AM.

(Lebanon County)

Ah. I gotta make a quicky here.

It only moves about an 8th of an inch back, and forth. When it stops it's just dead against metal. I did take the stop completely out, and felt for anything, but there appears to be nothing.

(Allegheny County)

Did you try percussive maintenance?

Kidding, Kidding......

Is it something with the bolt that isn't perfectly re-aligned and is catching somewhere? I had that happen with an old .22 in the past when it rotated slightly.

Will:

Did you try turning it upside down and (gently) pushing & pulling the bolt to free it?

I fear your firing pin tip may have broken off and fallen partially down through a hole in the bottom of the bolt.

(Lebanon County)

Well I just ran to try, and no good luck. This is ridiculous. All I did was take the extractor off, and try to placed the bolt back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Willtallica View Post
    Well I just ran to try, and no good luck. This is ridiculous. All I did was take the extractor off, and try to placed the bolt back in.
    Was there a circular clip that went around the bolt? Is it possible that clip slid around & down into the safety lug recess? If so, you might be able to free it with a paperclip. Rotate it around until the extractor clip aligns with the extractor raceway in the receiver, and it should be fine.

(Allegheny County)

Will,

You may already have this info but did you follow this dissassembly procedure?

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...mbly/index.asp

Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast