Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default looking for suggestions

With the anticipation of getting a few bucs back from my uncle(Sam) I'm thinking I should add a shotgun to my collection. Looking for a good ol fashion 12 guage I guess pump (unless there are reasons for semi) this will mainly be a home defense, may see a little range time enough to get familiar with not really looking into trap/skeet right now just a basic bare bones shotgun. I've started doing my homework but thought i'd get some input from you guys as well. Any suggestions will be appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Default Re: looking for suggestions

Rem 870
    Moss 500
    Win 1300
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein

(Delaware County)

Benelli Nova Are you looking for a tactical or field shotgun?
    Last edited by JIMMYC308; February 8th, 2007 at 08:52 PM.
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Allegheny County)

remington 870 all the way.

(Centre County)

I love my 870 Police Magnum, has eaten everything with out a hicup.

(Tioga County)

If my memory serves me correctly Mossberg has a package that has two barrels. one a 18" cylinder bore bbl and the other is longer with a modified choke. Use the 18" around the home and the other for field work.

Quote Originally Posted by Darbyglocker View Post
    With the anticipation of getting a few bucs back from my uncle(Sam) I'm thinking I should add a shotgun to my collection. Looking for a good ol fashion 12 guage I guess pump (unless there are reasons for semi) this will mainly be a home defense, may see a little range time enough to get familiar with not really looking into trap/skeet right now just a basic bare bones shotgun. I've started doing my homework but thought i'd get some input from you guys as well. Any suggestions will be appreciated.Thanks in advance.

(York County)

benelli m1 super 90 bad a$$

I would go pump all the way, Personally, the Mossberg 500 is nice all around, as mentionned you can get a combo slug skeet, but in the 590 or mariner series you can get 9shots, nice little tight package. I plan on having one some day.. I have seen many with semi's and when they jam, its a 2 had thing to undo, with a pump, you pump, shake and your good to go.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Lawrence County)

You can short stroke a pump and cause some nasty jams as well.

It never fails to amaze me the people who will use a semi auto pistol and then avoid a semi shotgun like the plague. Like all autos....you need the correct ammo they like and keep a reasonable cleaning schedule. My Remington 1100 Competition Master is 100% with ammo above 1 DRAM/ 1 OZ. 22" barrel with tac latch, extended bolt release, fiber optic beads and big head safety.

The auto will be softer shooting and easier to shoot under stress (I've seen a LOT of police forget to pump the 870 in qualifications!). The Benelli's, Remington's and Winchesters are excellent choices. For a novice they are faster. For a trained shooter, the pump is almost as fast (there are excetional shooters who can run a pump faster, but I'm not talking about them)

That being said, the Mossy 500 and Remington 870 are rock solid. They are half the cost of a good auto and can take more abuse if you should choose to subject them to it.

(Lehigh County)

You didn't mention how much money you have to spend. Are you looking new or used?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast