Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Uninformed newbie here

Hi all, first post. I'm new to firearms. Got a Taurus 24/7 9mm pistol about a month ago and am loving it

I have never owned a rifle, but saw this Remington Model 597 .22LR Stainless Steel Semi-Auto Scoped Rifle Package here:

http://tinyurl.com/4b9jqr

I've read good and bad reviews of this rifle, and would like to hear from real people who have used it and can compare it to similarly priced rifles.

(Warren County)

Default Re: Uninformed newbie here

Welcome aboard.

For the money, I'd seriously consider the Ruger 10/22 ... unless of course you're thinking of hunting (or prefer a bolt action), in which case, I'd go with a CZ 452. Both are time tested and truly amazing rifles.

I've got two 10/22s and absolutely LOVE them.
    Zone1
    My Glock does 1d6+3 dmg, but my 18 dex makes up for that...

(Westmoreland County)

Welcome to the PAFOA! The 24/7 is a fine pistol, but I don't know much about the Remy...

(Chester County)

Get a Ruger 10/22. There's ton of aftermarket parts for it. You can trick it out anyway you want or leave it stock.

www.rimfirecentral.com has all the information you could ever want about 10/22's.

Just my opinion...
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by sinful View Post
    Welcome aboard.

For the money, I'd seriously consider the Ruger 10/22 ... unless of course you're thinking of hunting (or prefer a bolt action), in which case, I'd go with a CZ 452. Both are time tested and truly amazing rifles.

I've got two 10/22s and absolutely LOVE them.
    Welcome to the forum!!

Like sinful & PisnNapalm said above, the Ruger 10/22 would be an overall better choice for you. The 10/22 has a lot of accessories you add on and there are a lot more companies that make aftermarket parts like stocks, mags, barrels, ect. You can truely customize the 10/22 to be "your rifle", or leave it as it is in the box and just enjoy the hell out of it that way.

So how is your Taurus? Like it / dislike it?
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(York County)

Thanks for the responses! The Ruger 10/22 is one that I have looked at. I will look into this model more before I buy.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by GUNRUNNERS OF PA View Post
    So how is your Taurus? Like it / dislike it?
    I like my Taurus a lot!

Two guys who shot it and are more familiar with firearms than me were a little uncomfortable with the trigger action at first (SA/DA), but since I had no experience, it didn't bother me.

(Chester County)

I have a Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45. I think the trigger is just fine. I enjoy shooting mine.
    Μολὼν λάβε

I've got one. The main reason they get a bad rap is because Remington gave out shitty mags when they first came out. That problem has been fixed, if you buy one used make sure you get the newer magazines. Also, Remington cranks the screws holding the guide rails in really tight, causing the rails to bend and bind the bolt. I would recommend loosening them and making them only finger tight before even trying to shoot it.

Its a good rifle, mine functions flawlessly with Federal 550 value pack. Thats all I really feed her. I had the old mags and had maybe 10 fail to feeds per box, and CCI minimags wouldn't cycle too well. Maybe 7 mags out of 10 ran with that. Got the new mags, and it works perfectly fine. She seems to be pretty finky about being clean, so keep up with the internals. Remington ammo doesn't work too well with the 30 round mags, I get about 1 fail to feed per mag. I never shoot Remington, but it was given to me (I see why now ). Everything else runs without a hiccup. I've shot alongside my brother's 10/22 and the Ruger had about one fail to feed every two magazines. Keep in mind, the Ruger had over 5k rounds without a cleaning. Mine had none. I'd imagine the 10/22s failures were due to the lack of maintenance. Thats my only experience with a 10/22.

If you're looking for any kind of aftermarket modifications, I'd suggest the Ruger 10/22. Its the most popular and has the most aftermarket parts for a 22. They're highly customizable.
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence

(Luzerne County)

I personally dont know of this one but here is an article on it that might help you.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/remington_597_rifles.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast