Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SERPA draw

(Luzerne County)

Default SERPA draw

How hard is the button tension to release a pistol (Glock) from a SERPA holster? Due to a hand injury my trigger finger has reduced mobility and strength and I'm worried if I get a SERPA I may not be able to easily release the lock.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: SERPA draw

I'm guessing you can click a mouse button w/o too much difficulty...
    It's about that hard.

Seriously. I wondered the same thing, but when I asked to try it in the shop, I was amazed at how little pressure is needed.

It's not so much a button as it is a "rocker switch". When you press one side, it pivots on an axis and the part that retains the weapon moves away, ever-so-slightly, from the trigger guard and the weapon may be drawn. It works MUCH better than I could have imagined before trying it.

I can not imagine you would have any difficulty operating it. Pressing the trigger is likely 1,000 times more "difficult" than pressing that "button".

I really like mine. Although I can't say it's great for concealment as it's not very tight to the body.

Here... in this pic you can see the "axis" where the button begins to angle down toward the trigger area.
    Press inward on the "top", flat portion of the "button" and the "bottom", flat portion moves outward, away from the trigger guard. Ta-Da! The weapon comes out in one, fluid motion. (with a little practice.)

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Emptymag; October 12th, 2007 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Added photo
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Holleta View Post
    How hard is the button tension to release a pistol (Glock) from a SERPA holster? Due to a hand injury my trigger finger has reduced mobility and strength and I'm worried if I get a SERPA I may not be able to easily release the lock.

Do you need or want level 2 retention? I use level 1 and fine tune the retention to my liking and or need, no "buttons required".

Hawk,
    Toujours prêt

(Luzerne County)

Emptymag, Awesome description!! That answered all my questions/concerns and educated me a few steps beyond. Thanks!!!! I'm going to try a SERPA.

Hawk, not sure what is meant by level 1 and level 2 (this is for rec use).
    Guns are good.
    Loud pipes save lives

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Holleta View Post
    Emptymag, Awesome description!! That answered all my questions/concerns and educated me a few steps beyond. Thanks!!!! I'm going to try a SERPA.

Hawk, not sure what is meant by level 1 and level 2 (this is for rec use).

Level 2 retention employs devices (buttons and such) to make it more difficult for a BG to unholster your weapon in a struggle. Level 1 models have an adjustable retention "detent" that holds the weapon from bouncing out when running or even when your upside down, you can adjust the retension from very light to very heavy.
    Check them out at:
    http://www.blackhawk.com/category1.a...tart=&priceend=

Hawk,
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

Holleta,
    Here's a link to a thread I started when I was looking for an OWB holster... the link takes you to the post where I have nearly decided on what holster I want.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/question-...html#post41226

There's some good input along the way if you have time to read from the beginning and there are some concerns about the SERPA that are addressed as well. I took those concerns into consideration and decided that, for me, the benefits outweighed the risk.

Oh, like Hawk said, the level 1 SERPA doesn't have the "button", just the retention screw. You can adjust the tension to keep it snug.(The level 2 has the same retention screw, seen in the photo) I just prefer the Level 2 for the added security.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Luzerne County)

M-T,

Good info and very nice pics too, Thanks! You had me sold on your intial response/review. I already have one on order and am anxiously awaiting it. I shoot PPC at the local club and hope to put it to use soon.

Thanks again for your help (M-T & Hawk)!
    Guns are good.
    Loud pipes save lives

(Luzerne County)

Got the SERPA.....LOVE IT!! Thanks guys!!
    Guns are good.
    Loud pipes save lives

(Westmoreland County)

Practice, practice, practice. I used to shoot IPSC with a SERPA and my draw was just as fast as a non-SERPA because I practiced drawing and shooting regularly(weekly). Just holster and draw with each mag you shoot at the range, every time.

The button is where your trigger finger should be anyway, so it is pretty natural, but if you attempt to draw without pressing the button, the holster locks up. You will then need to push the gun down, press the button, and then draw.

Congratulations on your purchase.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

(Chester County)

FROM A FEW OTHER WEBSITES:

Over the last year, I have developed some serious concerns with the Blackhawk Serpa Active Retention holster design. Various persons have brought these concerns to the attention of Blackhawk on several occasions and Blackhawk has chosen to ignore these very real issues.

The ‘Serpa Active Retention’ design consists of a plastic L-shaped component which functions as the release button [from the outside of the holster] and as the lock [which engages inside the trigger guard]. The short leg of the L-shaped lever pivots inward [toward the pistol], while the locking tab pivots outward to release the pistol from the holster.

According to the Blackhawk website, ”The release is made using your normal drawing motion, with the trigger finger beside the holster body. … As your trigger finger naturally comes to rest on the SERPA lock’s release mechanism, simply push the mechanism as you draw the weapon and it releases the gun for a smooth, fast draw.”

While Blackhawk may intend for the end-user to apply inboard pressure with the flat of the index finger, under stress, shooters tend to push the button with the tip of their index finger. After all, this is the manner in which most people have the most repetitions pushing buttons such as keys on a keypad or phone or ringing doorbells. When the finger pushes in on the release button and the user initiates the upward motion of the drawstroke, the finger tends to stay in motion and as the trigger guard clears the holster, the finger enters the trigger guard and contacts the trigger, with possibly tragic results.

I am aware of two instances where trained personnel have shot themselves using this holster in conjunction with Glock pistols. In August of 2004, a situation occurred with a live weapon that resulted in the shooter losing a 10cm piece of her femur. The other occurred with nonlethal training ammunitions in a force-on-force event in April of 2005. The impact of the NLTA was in the same area as the actual gunshot wound previously mentioned.

Following each of these events, Blackhawk was contacted and advised of the problems observed and concerns raised. In the first instance, they claimed that they were unaware of any previous issues with the design and insisted that the design had been ‘thoroughly tested by law enforcement and military personnel’.

After the second event, they were contacted by at least two people. Again, they stated that they were unaware of any concerns and had heard nothing similar from any sources.
    If this were not disturbing enough, in October 2005, while assisting with a class in Casa Grande, AZ, additional concerns surfaced. During a force-on-force evolution, when a student attempted to draw an NLTA-modified Glock 17 from his Blackhawk Serpa holster, he was unable to free the gun from the holster.

In fact, the gun was so tightly held in the holster that, with one person applying both hands to the release button and another person applying two hands to the pistol, the gun could not be freed. Upon inspection, a small piece of gravel, approximately the size of the head of a pin, had managed to work itself into the Serpa release button and wedge the lock in place.

While trying to effect a release of the pistol from the holster, the entire holster popped off of the belt. The three screws that attach the holster body to the belt plate simply slipped through the tracks in the belt plate without apparent damage. Of what use is a retention holster that does not keep the gun on the belt?

In my opinion, the Blackhawk Serpa Active Retention holster is a severely flawed design. It offers the theoretical advantage of security while, in reality, offering none. It does not hold up to the rigors of realistic training. It accentuates the possibility of an unintentional discharge. It is unsafe.

If you, or anyone known to you, are currently using one of these holsters, please reconsider.

Sincerely,

Paul Gomez

Pass on this one...they're junk. I used to open carry a 1911 in one...I can't think of 1 thing I liked about it.

I hope they get pulled off the market.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast