Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default where does everyone here go shooting?

I was just curious as to where everyone here goes shooting. I have been going to the public range in Archibald, but it has been getting a little scary up there, especially on the weekends. I was up there a few weeks ago with a buddy from out of town to squeeze of a few rounds. Everything was cool at the 100/rifle met a few cool guys, and most importantly, everyone was safe.

and then we secured the long guns and walked over to shoot some pistol....

I could not believe how bad it was. First off, it was packed, but there was an available lane to the far left. As we walked up, there was this cranky looking older guy in a red hat just screaming at this guy a few lanes over. This was my first hint. That guy was cranky with good reason.

anyway, it appeared to be a cold range as people were hanging up targets, so my buddy heads down range with the targets and I stayed on the line and loaded up magazines, leaving my pistol of the day in its box. while I'm doing this, I notice two guys on the firing line talking, one holding a revolver pointing it nearly parallel to the fireing line! As I notice this, my buddy starts screaming 'how about no handling of weapons with people downrange!' He later told me he saw 2 guys on the far end, out of my line of sight, pointing handguns down range while he was just turning from hanging our paper.

I didn't even take my piece out of the box, we left our paper hanging and left after barely saying a word to each other. I really felt like someone was going to get shot right there in front of me.

Besides going to Archibald on the weekday, what other sites do people on here frequent? The above situation has prompted my inquiry.

Kev / 'noob'

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: where does everyone here go shooting?

Public ranges are limited in the area. You have the Archbald. The one in Suscon "rifle range only". Then there is the one over in Sweet Valley. Private ranges are even scarcer. The only ones I know of is one in Hunlocks Creek, and one above Scranton. The one above Scranton is more of a clay birds range.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lackawanna County)

thanks for the info norm -

I saw that you are located in Pittston - If I remember right there was a range right off of the Pittston bypass, up a road behind a car dealership....couple miles back into the woods. I was up there a few years ago and it was very secluded and quite. I took a ride up there maybe a year or little more ago and it was closed up, overgrown, tables gone and big range closed signs posted.

I heard some rumors that it got refurbished and has reopened. I didn't see anything on the state website, and I can't seem to call them during business hours!

Any idea on the status of that range up in Pittston?

(Lackawanna County)

I used to go to the Archibald range as well, you're right it's terribly unsafe. There is a rod and gun club in Factoryville. Very nice ranges, I just disliked the rules.
    I go to a farm outside Scranton now. You can open up and have fun, there's just no fancy back board and berms.
    Millions for defense, Not one cent for tribute!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by vinnylinks View Post
    thanks for the info norm -

I saw that you are located in Pittston - If I remember right there was a range right off of the Pittston bypass, up a road behind a car dealership....couple miles back into the woods. I was up there a few years ago and it was very secluded and quite. I took a ride up there maybe a year or little more ago and it was closed up, overgrown, tables gone and big range closed signs posted.

I heard some rumors that it got refurbished and has reopened. I didn't see anything on the state website, and I can't seem to call them during business hours!

Any idea on the status of that range up in Pittston?
    Its open. But it is now rifles only. They have limiters on the benches so you can't over shoot the berm. Thats not to say that people do try to shoot pistol there.

I was there a few months ago. One guy came over to ask if he could go around the bench to shoot at the 25yd targets. he was told that would be un advisable because we were shooting at the 100yd targets. His comment was yeah so. You are shooting down range at the 100yd. He was eventually told that if the rangers caught him that he might loose his gun.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(York County)

I go shooting in my buddy's field. Place whatever I want as a target in front of a mound of dirt. Just gotta clean up when I'm done.

(Luzerne County)

Finding ot of the way places to shoot.............and not be bothered......is like finding a pot of gold.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by YllwFvr View Post
    I used to go to the Archibald range as well, you're right it's terribly unsafe. There is a rod and gun club in Factoryville. Very nice ranges, I just disliked the rules.
    I go to a farm outside Scranton now. You can open up and have fun, there's just no fancy back board and berms.
    thanks for the info on the factoryville club. I checked out the website and it sounds right up my alley, multiple ranges & a quick drive from Scranton. The dues didn't sound too bad either, less money for ammo but whatever. I did notice that you have to be sponsored by an existing member, this point may prove to be problematic for me as I am relatively new in town and had never heard of this club before this thread - much less would I know any members at the club!

The 'farmers field' option would be ideal, but again I don't have any local buddies with land that are sympathetic to my needs. All the guys I know with acerage out of town think I'm a 'gun nut' because of some of the items I legally own.

Are there any members of the factoryville rod & gun on this forum that might be willing to meet at a diner for a free breakfast to discuss a possible sponsorship? Meeting up at a nearby gunshow would be great too, as I plan on going to get some 'stuff' at the next local show.

I'm not some flaky rap video extra, shooting from the hip (ammo's too expensive for that!) I'm ex-miltary, safety minded, and I've been a 2nd amendment enthuiast for many years - I just need a nice, safe spot to exercise those rights.

So gentleman (and women), Is anyone up for some coffee & eggs? If you are just shoot me a PM.....thanks

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by YllwFvr View Post
    +1 to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnylinks View Post
    I was just curious as to where everyone here goes shooting. I have been going to the public range in Archibald, but it has been getting a little scary up there, especially on the weekends.
    Kev / 'noob'

I belong to 5 different clubs ... all with ranges, but I generally only use the ranges at the clubs close to home.

Why so many clubs ... I figure I should support them so they have larger ranks to deter the Anti's .. and gives me a place to make friends of like-minded folks .. and I also figure it's just the right thing to do.

Most of the clubs I belong to get an average of $ 50 for your first year and anywhere from $ 10 to $ 25 per year/annual dues ... money well spent in my miniature mind.
    " For the left, Freedom IS a Fringe Idea "

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast