Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Im a Felon, can my wife own a gun?

im not a drug user nor do i committ crime anymore lol. i was convicted of 3rd degree felony eluding the police in NJ in '05 i was stupid and tried to outrun the NJSPD because i had no insurance and an expired registration. It was my first and only offense and i served my 4 years of probation and had my sentence suspended.

i want my wife to be able to protect herself from, predators(animal and human) is SHE allowed to own a shotgun?
    if she tries to get a permit will she get arrested or charged with anything?

thank you for any and all help
    Last edited by flippindabird; April 21st, 2013 at 09:34 AM. Reason: typos

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Im a Felon, can my wife own a gun?

I think she would be fine, but keep in mind you are not allowed to even touch her gun if she buy one. If she does buy one and you do touch it then she can get in trouble. I am not a lawyer but I think this is correct.
    IANAL

(Chester County)

I am not a lawyer either, but it goes beyond you not touching it. I am almost certain that you must not have access. That means it has to be locked away where you have no access. Not the key or combination. If you have access at all she can be charged.

Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable ones here will come along and clarify with the actual laws so neither of you do something you'll regret.

Good luck.
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." — Thomas Paine

(Pike County)

thank you.
    i sincerely do not intend to bother with it unless its a definite life or death situation, and she is unable to use it. i want her to have it for self defence.
    As i stated, i am now a law abiding citizen i just want us to be safe in and around our home.

(Pike County)

so she would need a combo locked safe to store the gun in
    see i like guns, but i have alot of other hobbys lol, i dont hunt, so i really have no use for it. i am a large strong man so im secure with my self defence. BUT i am not under any delusions, im not bulletproof and if someone comes into our home with a gun and they kill me, my family will be defenceless and that is what i am scared of.
    Last edited by flippindabird; April 21st, 2013 at 10:07 AM.

(Chester County)

G. Gordon Liddy was a convicted felon, served jail time and had his 2A rights removed. He used to joke on air about all the nice guns Mrs. Liddy had. The insinuation was that he had access to them, but you want your wife to store them in a gun safe in which you have no access. Also, there a small safes you can keep by your bed that she can punch a code into to get quick access for self defense. Here are some options. Good luck.

http://www.gunvault.com/

(Chester County)

Hey I hear you, but I am fairly certain that if you use it for any reason that there can be charges brought against the both of you. With that being said it is better to be judged by twelve than carried by six and I am in no way recommending you break the law.

As I said before though, there are others here far more knowledgeable than I, so I am sure someone here can show you the actual laws. Then you and your wife can make an informed decision.

Shawn
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." — Thomas Paine

(Indiana County)

You need to contact a lawyer IMO.

It was a non-violent felony, and is pushing 10 years since. Assuming you have not been in anymore trouble, there could be other avenues that you could explore.

He could advise you as to her owning a gun and your options as to get your rights restored if possible at this time.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    You need to contact a lawyer IMO.

It was a non-violent felony, and is pushing 10 years since. Assuming you have not been in anymore trouble, there could be other avenues that you could explore.

He could advise you as to her owning a gun and your options as to get your rights restored if possible at this time.
    I agree with this/\/\/\/\

I figure you should try and get your rights restored. For this I would enlist a lawyers expertise. I would search for one well versed in this type of issue. Since you would already be talking with one I would have the lawyer explain the statutes and case law that pertains to your questions and situation.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Pike County)

Thank you all. I appreciate your support, advice and insight, unfortunately i dont have the money for a lawyer at ths time. But i am going to see if i can get some sort of free consultation.

better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6 is right. i will not do anything outside of the law, other then speeding, but if someone comes in my house and threatens my family you can bet ill eliminate the threat by any means necesary.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast