Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Toomey's proposed interstate transport section

I drive a pickup truck and must keep my firearms inside so it appears the new proposal is more hassle contrary to Toomey's belief.

The current law quoted below allows me to transport my firearms though Maryland with the firearms locked in a case but not the ammo. Note the bold 'OR' in the current law:

18 USC §926A - Interstate transportation of firearms
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    And now the new proposal requires that the ammo be locked up also. That certainly doesn't help me!

"(2) transport ammunition for any lawful purpose from any place where the person may lawfully possess, carry, or transport the ammunition, to any other such place if, during the transportation-
    "(A) the ammunition is not loaded into a firearm; and
    "(B)(i) if the transportation is by motor vehicle-
    "(I) the ammunition is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the motor vehicle; or
    "(II) if the motor vehicle is without a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the ammunition is in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console; or
    "(ii) if the transportation is by other means, the ammunition is in a locked container.
    What do you make of this??

Bob

Default Re: Toomey's proposed interstate transport section

Take the foam out of a hard pistol case and transport it locked in that?
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Berks County)

I think you're correct.

My general thoughts on what Toomey is claiming to be a "strengthening" of 2A protections:

Any supposed "benefit" from relaxing FOPA travel restrictions doesn't amount to a hill of beans if one can't carry at their destination. If this were coupled with national reciprocity, then it might be worth something. But it's not, so it amount to nothing.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Monroe County)

Tackle box, tool box, range box, brief case, ammo box, cigar box. Whatever it takes. There is not a specific requirement. Just put a lock on it.

The only way Toomey could be forgiven is if he would have put a poison pill which would have allowed nationwide CCW. As it stands, gun owners get NOTHING.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Dauphin County)

mojollnir and Shisno:
    I carry a lot of ammo, it will not fit in a pistol case or two 50 cal ammo cans. This was not a problem until Toomey decided to help us out. In the past this wasn't required and now it is even though he said it was now easier to travel. with firearms.

ChamberedRound:
    Yes I agree also, I haven't seen anything that will strengthen our second amendment rights that amounts to much.

Thanks
    Bob

(Mifflin County)

"(B)(i) if the transportation is by motor vehicle-
    "(I) the ammunition is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the motor vehicle; or
    "(II) if the motor vehicle is without a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the ammunition is in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console; or
    You said you drive a truck. Read (I) put the ammo in the bed of the truck, then it's "Not directly accessible from the passenger compartment". What's the big deal?

(Monroe County)

Sounds like maybe something bigger, job box, knack box, crossbed tool box. Or solve it completely with armored rolling locking bed cover. Always look for solutions

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_W View Post
    mojollnir and Shisno:
    I carry a lot of ammo, it will not fit in a pistol case or two 50 cal ammo cans. This was not a problem until Toomey decided to help us out. In the past this wasn't required and now it is even though he said it was now easier to travel. with firearms.

ChamberedRound:
    Yes I agree also, I haven't seen anything that will strengthen our second amendment rights that amounts to much.

Thanks
    Bob
    Ah. Ok I get what you're saying. And I never said I agreed or even like this proposal. Was just spitballing on how to comply to it for the OP.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Cumberland County)

What does this legislation have anything to do with Sandyhook? Oh wait it doesn't.

You said you drive a truck. Read (I) put the ammo in the bed of the truck, then it's "Not directly accessible from the passenger compartment". What's the big deal?
    Sounds logical save for the gun now being out in the open easily available to be stolen. Locks are simply inconveniences that can be easily solved with some clippers.
    Last edited by Kabloosh; April 13th, 2013 at 05:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast