Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: C&R question(s)

(Lancaster County)

Default C&R question(s)

Is a firearm that is more then 50 years old automatically C&R as long as it is not "altered"? I'm reading conflicting information. According to BATFE, the first criteria is "a firearm that is over 50 years old". I have also read other places that this isn't always the case.

Anyone have a definitive answer?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: C&R question(s)

Is "the list" all that are eligible?

(Cumberland County)

Good question. I have had conflicting answers too - might have to read all the paperwork I received with mine a few years ago - lol. I believe it has to be 50+ years and in the book or adendums. I don't think just being 50 years qualifies - although most dealers I buy from sell it C&R as long as it is verified 50years plus. Hopefully someone likes to read more than me and has the definitive answer. If not, I'll break out my books later

Here is what most folks on other threads are "confirming"

Firearms automatically attain curio or relic (C&R) status when they are 50 years old. Any firearm that is at least 50 years old, and in its original configuration, would qualify as a C&R firearm. It is not necessary for such firearms to be listed in ATF’s C&R list.
    Last edited by cruzans; April 6th, 2013 at 01:14 PM. Reason: added info
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Montgomery County)

50+ years old and provable by bill of sale or serial number. I just picked up a 6.5 inch Ruger MK 1 because the original BoS was in the box with the serial number and a date 53 years earlier. No problem at all, and I discovered a neat trick as well; if you reverse the pin on the follower, you can use Mk II mags to give a 10 round rather than the 9 round mags sold for Mk Is.

The lists are not up to date by any means. One local gun dealer lost a sale because he would not believe that Walther P1s are C&R, even though I could show two online sellers (AIM and J&G, neither of whom are small) with current adverts stating just that. His loss. Dave_n

(Chester County)

I have problems because I have run into 3 dealers in SEPA who either don't honor C&R's or have no clue themselves. I've had to look up firearms online at some gun shops just to prove there were indeed C&R.

Certainly there choice not to honor a C&R but I went through the same background checks with the FBI, etc..and proved myself.

Bottom line is there is some grey area and your local FFL can choose to not honor a firearm as a C&R.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

It is 50 years old OR on the list. There have been guns that were listed before they reached 50 years old, I believe they were milsurp rifles.

(Tioga County)

I've also seen some older eastern bloc pistols that haven't reached 50 years of age be put on the list and available for sale as C&R's.