Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default How many guns have you purchased from a gun show anyway?

Lots of comments and negatives about gun shows are often posted. Probably for good reason.

It is the nature of people to get as much as they can for as little as possible.

I have been thinking about my 45 years as an active gun buyer/seller/trader.

I think that during that time I have, at most, purchased 3 guns from gun shows. I might note also that each time I went through the filling out of forms and a background check of some sort. Loophole?

Most of my guns have been purchased through dealers, a few face to face, and one via internet. We, of course, know that it was sent to an FFL where I went through the normal gun buying process.

But point is, aside from merely looking and entertainment value, gun show have had little direct impact on my gun buying.

How about you?

Default Re: How many guns have you purchased from a gun show anyway?

I actually bought two AKs at the York gun show years ago for $325 each, and yes I had to fill out the paperwork & wait for the dealer to call it in. I sold them, plus some mags & ammo for a HUGE profit before Barry's first term.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Allegheny County)

Three that I can remember. Two using my C&R and one that required a PICS check. No gun show loophole guns for me.

Now if you want to talk about FTF guns in a Dunham's parking lot with no check, well let's just not talk about those parking lot loophole guns.

(Berks County)

Zero.

(Chester County)

I hit the great Milsurp glut in the 90's after the Berlin Wall came down, and the Combloc stuff was coming in en masse. It was fantastic. I bought several over a ten or 15 year period. All from dealers, with Form 4473, and background checks.

(Berks County)

Never been to one.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Probably 6 that I can think of.

(Washington County)

The first gun show I went to was at the New York state fairgrounds complex in Syracuse back in 2008. I bought a Tula hex receiver mosin for around $120 from ATI's dealer booth so there was paperwork. I think that is the only gun I've bought at a gun show. I usually end up buying salsa and ammo cans. I have sold a few guns face to face thought with great success. Tape a note card marked as "FOR SALE" on a pencil, stick it in the barrel, and carry it around. It makes you a pretty popular guy! Lot's of luck with that. Usually someone will at least know someone interested and direct me in their direction. Had that happen twice.

Also, at that first gun show in NY, I remember buying "high capacity" mags for my AK and XD-45. Some how they had snuck deep behind enemy lines, and were openly being sold! *gasp*
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Monroe County)

One though if I had the cash at the time it would be at least five. Nothing recent though.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Lycoming County)

I bought two at Harrisburg in December. A couple stripped lowers as well. I must be one of the luckiest sob's on the planet, because I've found lots of decent deals at shows over the years. I don't think I can put a number on ones I've bought at them, but it is at least 10 in the last 3 years I would bet. All were used, several where milsurp.

Here's the thing about gun shows. If you're looking to buy a Glock or an ar or most other new guns/modern guns, you'll probably be disappointed. Stuff like that I can generally get for a better price at lgs or online. If you are just going to look around and don't really know what you want, you'll do better. I don't have any needs anymore when it comes to guns. I have carry guns, hunting rifles, shtf guns, etc. I go shows to look around and maybe find something different that fits my current shooting or collecting interest, which is eclectic . If you're in that frame of mind it isn't that hard to find a deal out there.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast