Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taurus Judge 3"

(Chester County)

Default Taurus Judge 3"

Ok folks... For the past few weeks I've had the Judge on my brain. I've read numerous reviews and they are pretty mixed.

This is the one I've been drooling over.... I'm not sure why either.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...crumbseries=41

Who's got one and how much do you like it?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Taurus Judge 3"

Are you looking at this as a toy or self defense weapon?

For the toy I'd say go for it. Know a few guys with them and they love them.

For a self defense weapon, I'd say stay away and get yourself something better. No one I know that has them actually use them for carry.

They all have their uses, some better than others.

(Montgomery County)

The Judge in my opinion is only clever marketing for a product that does not solve an existent problem. The clever pictures of shot shells to the head of a man shaped target look dramatic, yet shotshells do little to human targets.

The judge revolvers are large and have short barrels. They are about the size of a 1911, and I would much rather have a 1911 then a Judge. (my opinion)

The ability to use .45 LC is severely overhyped. If you want to shoot .45 LC, buy a .45 LC. No need to have a revolver that has a 3 inch cylinder. In short, the .410 shotshell is a terrible defense round. The Judge is larger then it is effective.

Buy one if you want one.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

.410 shotshells at short range are very effective. And that is where the Taurus Judge is designed to be used. It is an up close and personal defense tool that would be more than sufficient at the ranges that it was designed to be used at. Especially used in an apartment or trailer home type of environment where over penetration issues would be of grave concern. After all, people don't buy .50 cal Barretts for use as home defense guns unless they live on the top of a mountain and wish to keep away the Jehovah's witnesses before they get through the gates at the bottom of the mountain. If you are drooling over the gun, by all means get it. It's the next one on my list since I have all of the personal defense carry guns that I need right now. Doesn't mean that I will not buy more, if one catches my eye and makes me drool.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, and I don't even play one on the internet. Never mistake my opinion for legal advice. If you do need legal advise, seek it from those who get paid to give it, I know I do.

(Monroe County)

You are not going to get an objective opinion on a Taurus Gun at this site, the Anti taurus crowd will be along soon to scare you away, so go join www.taurusarmred.net and do your research, as a owner of several trouble free Taurus handgfuns, and i currently have a .44 mag tracker on lay away, i biased.

IMO the judge makes a very good camping and hiking gun, with rthe .45 colt winchester silvertips it is scary accurate at 25 yards ,kills the bullseye everytime, cut out a cardboard picture of a snake about 2.5 to 3 .5 feel long and curly like a real snake then shoot it with # 8shot , it will pattern nicely on that "snake", I wear mine around the yard when i'm doing yard work etc.

And yes a blast of #8 or #6 shot to the face of a carjacker or rapist will definately ruin thier intentions and if thats not enough follow up with a nice big Colt .45, that will definately get thier attention. (I load mine staggered)

Nymaz
    Last edited by mrnyman; October 20th, 2009 at 12:15 AM.

(Chester County)

I've been a member at taurusarmed.net for a few years now. It's received mixed reviews there as well.

It would be more of a "fun" range gun than home or self defense.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Are you looking at this as a toy or self defense weapon?

For the toy I'd say go for it. Know a few guys with them and they love them.

For a self defense weapon, I'd say stay away and get yourself something better. No one I know that has them actually use them for carry.

They all have their uses, some better than others.
    I can agree with this.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Luzerne County)

DAM! Buy it, if you don't really like it you can resell, maybe loose a few bucks but I doubt you will resell the Judge. PS, I don't know any judges that actually carry one or have it tucked under the bench...but it is a fairly priced revolver.....and a hoot to shoot!

(Delaware County)

I have one of the earlier ones, with the 2.5 inch cylinder, and the 6.5 inch barrel.
    It's real fun to shoot. I don't have a place to really have a good time with it nearby, but even just at the range it's a good time. That's pretty much what I bought it for, enjoyment and possibly for hiking/camping as a snake/rabid varmint gun.
    For personal defense, I'd shy away from it. It's not that it can't be effective, I'm sure it can, it's just that there are plenty of other guns that can be much *more* effective.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by BufordTPisser View Post
    .410 shotshells at short range are very effective. And that is where the Taurus Judge is designed to be used. It is an up close and personal defense tool that would be more than sufficient at the ranges that it was designed to be used at. Especially used in an apartment or trailer home type of environment where over penetration issues would be of grave concern. After all, people don't buy .50 cal Barretts for use as home defense guns unless they live on the top of a mountain and wish to keep away the Jehovah's witnesses before they get through the gates at the bottom of the mountain. If you are drooling over the gun, by all means get it. It's the next one on my list since I have all of the personal defense carry guns that I need right now. Doesn't mean that I will not buy more, if one catches my eye and makes me drool.
    No they're not.

They lack the needed punch to stop any determined attacker...even when loaded with the buckshot loads.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast