Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default FMJ vs. JHP for Personal Defense

FMJ vs. JHP for Personal Defense. Yes I am aware that there are all sorts of high performance rounds that do better for personal defence. However I bringing the question up & would like it addressed keeping the following two hypothetical scenarios in mind: SHTF & ammunition being outlawed (or taxed where it for all intents & purposes outlawed). Either way, the only solution is to build a LIFETIME stock pile. Having a limited budget, I can get twice as many ball rounds as high performance JHP rounds.

Another consideration is the proliferation of body armor out there. I'm counting on the bad guys wearing it. With that being the case FMJ or JHP makes as much of a difference as picking the 'best' caliber (the 9mm vs. 10mm vs. .45ACP vs. .357 vs. etc.) - all these arguments go away. The solution is the same: two in the chest to get their attention (and thus buy you time) before following up w/ a head shot.
    Last edited by MMH; January 4th, 2009 at 11:47 AM.

(Union County)

Default Re: FMJ vs. JHP for Personal Defense

Well, my thoughts are that if it comes down to shooting zombi, it's head shots so it don't make a difference. however, the 45acp has a nice thump to it. If you can get all that energy transferred to the target, ei-fully expand and penetrate w/o exiting, you don't need more than one on just about anything you'd wanna safely tackle w/ a 45 cal. handgun. Just go w/ whatever functions 110% thru your weapon. Just realize that shooting A LOT of 230gr ball exclusively is hard on a pistol....stock up on some springs too while you're at it.
    Girls, Guns and Gears......What more could you ask for in life?!

(Allegheny County)

1. No handgun cartridge is going through armor so it doesn't matter. Newer "bonded core" type JHPs like the Federal HSTs probably offer as good or better penetration against barriers (like car doors, fat guys etc) than a lot of FMJ.
    *(5.7 mm is another discussion, but my statement stands, as you can't get the military AP ammo for it anywhere)

2. JHP is only a few dollars more per thousand rounds if you are loading your own ammo. Stock piling factory made rounds probably loses economically to buying second hand used reloading equipment and making your own.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    FMJ vs. JHP for Personal Defense. Yes I am aware that there are all sorts of high performance rounds that do better for personal defence. However I bringing the question up & would like it addressed keeping the following two hypothetical scenarios in mind: SHTF & ammunition being outlawed (or taxed where it for all intents & purposes outlawed). Either way, the only solution is to build a LIFETIME stock pile. Having a limited budget, I can get twice as many ball rounds as high performance JHP rounds.

Another consideration is the proliferation of body armor out there. I'm counting on the bad guys wearing it. With that being the case FMJ or JHP makes as much of a difference as picking the 'best' caliber (the 9mm vs. 10mm vs. .45ACP vs. .357 vs. etc.) - all these arguments go away. The solution is the same: two in the chest to get their attention (and thus buy you time) before following up w/ a head shot.
    Flawed logic in bold.

SHTF / ammo outlawed. This is a HUGE "maybe". Don't organize your personal defense posture around unrealistic possibilities and scenarios. It will likely get you killed.

Body armor? Maybe. What if he's wearing "hard" armor? What if he's wearing "soft" armor with a threat level that exceeds your cartridge / caliber combo?

Head shots? Yes ... if that's what it takes but they are difficult to make under the best of circumstances let alone during a lethal threat encounter and under the influence of an adrenaline dump.

Choose a premium HP round from one of the major ammo makers.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by panther76 View Post
    1. No handgun cartridge is going through armor so it doesn't matter.
    Yes they will. It depends on the armor's NIJ rating and the bullet / caliber.

Why dont you buy enough JHP to cover you for carrying and then just stockpile FMJ anyways.

I keep 6 boxes of carry ammo (one for every other month) and then just buy FMJ for the rest.

FMJ has a better chance of pass through and hitting something unwanted, JHP has a much less chance of doing the same thing....
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Flawed logic in bold.

SHTF / ammo outlawed. This is a HUGE "maybe". Don't organize your personal defense posture around unrealistic possibilities and scenarios. It will likely get you killed.

Body armor? Maybe. What if he's wearing "hard" armor? What if he's wearing "soft" armor with a threat level that exceeds your cartridge / caliber combo?

Head shots? Yes ... if that's what it takes but they are difficult to make under the best of circumstances let alone during a lethal threat encounter and under the influence of an adrenaline dump.

Choose a premium HP round from one of the major ammo makers.
    AMEN (29 years with a Govt 45 on my hip)

(Monroe County)

Liability issues aside.

I feel FMJ is superior.

2 holes, not as much mushroom damage as a JHP, but still there, and blood pouring from 2 holes. Land a couple hits COM like this and the threat is over.

Sure, JHP will probably kill just as well as FMJ when critical hits are taken.
    However, if the target survives the JHP rounds, the target wont survive FMJ rounds because he will bleed out fast.

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    Liability issues aside.

I feel FMJ is superior.

2 holes, not as much mushroom damage as a JHP, but still there, and blood pouring from 2 holes. Land a couple hits COM like this and the threat is over.

Sure, JHP will probably kill just as well as FMJ when critical hits are taken.
    However, if the target survives the JHP rounds, the target wont survive FMJ rounds because he will bleed out fast.
    I wouldn't want to shoot someone who deserved it to find out that someone who didn't deserve it got hit with the same round. There is some truth to what you see in the movies "don't worry it passed right through" and "oh shit we have to dig the bullet out"

granted there's a ton of crap that occurs that's wrong in movies, but if I were ever shot...I'd want it to pass right through.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast